Do you have different levels of EDC?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have different levels of EDC. I realize that if you don't carry certain lights every day, they technically aren't "EDC", but what I mean is I have different lights I carry (on keyrings, in my pocket, in a belt holster, or on a lanyard around my neck) for different situations.

In my pocket every day, on my 2 key rings:
-Arc AAA
-2 Photon Freedoms (1 white, 1 yellow)

On work days I have the Arc AAA and the Photon Freedoms and add these in a double belt holster:
-Surefire L4
-Inova X5
(Those two are soon to be replaced by my Surefire E2DL and E2L)

When I'm not at work and I'm just out and about, I have the Arc AAA, the 2 Photon Freedoms and add:
-A Surefire E1B in my pocket.

If I specifically know I'll need it or feel I could use another light or two over the course of the day (or night), I have the Arc AAA and Photon Freedoms, the E1B in my pocket and add:
-My Surefire E2DL and E2L in a double belt holster.
-Surefire E1L on a lanyard around my neck.
I like this setup, because the 123 lights back each other up nicely. The E2DL is backed up by the E2L, and the E1L is backed up by the E1B. And in the end, I have the Arc AAA and Photon Freedoms as a last resort.

So, do you have different levels of EDC depending on where you are and your situation? Do you carry back ups that are similar for each light? What are they?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Lately mine has been:

Draco on neck lanyard
L0D in pouch loop
L0D in right pocket
L0D in left pocket
D10 or C2H in back pocket
Titan in watch pocket
Arc AAA in shirt pocket
Extreme III in other shirt pocket
NDI in jacket pocket

Most often I go to the Draco but if I need more throw then I go for my back pocket light or jacket pocket.
If I don't want to have the light connected to me then I go for my L0D.
When I want low output I go to the Draco, Extreme III or Titan, but when I want very low output I go to the Titan!
Still love the soft flood of my Arc's and the warmness of my only 5A light.

Out on the trail, with all the snow, high on either the Titan or Draco is really something beautiful to see! :eek:

I guess the L0D's are pretty much alike, except that my main one has an RB80 and the other two are Q4's. The L0D's
and the Extreme III would seem somewhat to fill the same niche, but the Extreme III has a very low setting too.
The D10, NDI and C2H seem somewhat redundant, but I like them all for different uses. Okay, maybe I don't need
the D10 and NDI both, but I really like them both!

If I get drunk and can't remember which pocket I put my light in, I still have a good chance of finding one! ;)

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep - first layer is an A2 Aviator. Second layer is usually a Malkoff'd 6p/6r. Occasionally, I'll throw in a Surefire 9Z when its particular feature set is justified. Maybe I'll use an 8X if I want something bright, incandescent, throwy, and cheap to feed. What I'm getting at is the first layer is a generalist, and the second layer is tailored to the need.

First layer will be a Ra-85-Tr, soon :D

MWClint

Enlightened
my keychain always has a brass matterhorn(4000k seoul) plus i carry 2 other lights depending on situation, one clipped on belt/holdster and the smaller one in my pocket.

general edc usage
ex10 and sapphire
(both with 4000K seouls)

work edc
spy 007
fenix l0-ti (with 4000K seoul)

dressy edc
Peak brass Rainier P7 +
Peak brass pacific

backup edc combo
ra twisty
fenix ld01

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes definitely. It's just that my patterns are very random one example might be.

work:
LOD/LDO1 or Raw NS

dinner or the movies locally:
one of the lights above in conjunction with...
L1 or Novatac or Bitz or P3D

dinner across town or "hoods" not quite as quiet as my own:
one of each light from the previous categories, plus...
A2 or M2 or M3 or M6 or Zebralight

Out of town trips including business, camping or hunting..
one or more of the lights in each category above, plus...
A small HID or LED Super thrower

My archery hunting pack, light kit, might consist of:
LOD/LDO1
P3D
H50
H30
L1
A2
M2 with UV drop-in.
M6 or HID

I have many lights but a small percent, like the ones above, tend to make of my workforce of workhorses. There are other lights not mentioned that sometimes also get carried occasionally on a whim but for simplicity I won't detail that out, especially since it can be random.

Last edited:

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
I dunno. I find I vary depending on the seasons. This winter (California "winter") it was a P2D Rebel 100) on hip, Photon on the keychain. Two CR123s in the pocket in a battery holder, L1D body with cap in the pocket with 1 AA in it. In the jacket pocket, it was a SF C2 w/ M60 drop-in. I'm playing with a TK11 Q5 and I'm impressed by the throw and 18650 capability so it may replace the C2 M60 next winter.

However, for the summer, I won't wear my jacket so the EDC will probably be the P2D Rebel 100 plus the batteries. I probably won't even pocket the L1D body either. I hate not having a little more firepower, but the P2D is a pretty bright little beast. Maybe I'll throw the P1D Q5 on the keychain as a backup.

Although I do think like Patriot36. When it comes to trips, the load out changes. For vacation, I'll pack a bit more light (M6 and batteries including a headlamp.

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
Mine's pretty simple, I don't go anywhere without my 120P clipped in my left pocket.

When I have my keys on me (most of the time) there's an LD01 on there.

And if i'm camping i take extras of course, and i switch the 120P to an L1 when i'm skiing.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Not much variety here. Arc AAA on the keychain, L0D in the pocket is typical. If I'm going out at night or wearing a coat I may add the LF3XT or Proton Pro just for grins.

Geoff

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, some of you carry a lot of lights with you on a daily basis. I try to keep mine simple. These days it has been:

Keychain: Ti Sapphire

Necklace: AlTin Drake

Pocket Carry: This is where I alternative depending on my mood:
- Lunasol 20 - usually carry this
- Milky Modded Surefire L1 - alternate on some days, especially on weekends
- Nitecore Defender Infinity - occasionally
- Surefire Titan - Haven't EDC it yet, this is going to be for more dressier occasions.

OceanView

Enlightened
I also have different levels of EDC.

The Photon II on my keys will always go with me when I leave the house since I need my keys. If I'm just going to any of the nearby businesses in my sweats, like for coffee, that's all I would normally take.

For a real day out, like going to work, then the HDS gets put on my belt, in addition to the Photon II.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do!

Basic layer, never changes Aeon in my left pants pocket, always!

Backpack which equals my work kit:

- 6P with BOG Super Premium drop-in + SC1 w/P60L, soon to be my 1st Malkoff (M60W!)
- Arc AAA GS in my notepad valet
- Tikka

Weekend - E2d or L1

Night walks with the Wife - Arc 6 or L1

Business Travel - L1 and Tikka

Recreational Travel Overseas - E2O w/twisty or 6P

Camping - lots of lights including one SF Turbohead Model!

GPB

Enlightened
Level 1-Light use unlikely: single AAA light (Tiablo MA1)
Daytime, Shopping, Dinner, visiting friends, etc.

Level 2- Light use possible: single CR123 light ( E1B )
Outdoor barbeque, neighborhood walk, anything involving a subway, or tall building

Level 3- Light use somewhat likely: I'll add a back up battery for the E1B
anything outside in a very rural area

Level 4- Light use expected: I'll add a 2 CR123 light ( G2L, Cabela 6P clone, Brinkman/BOG dropin ) ( night hike, or anything where a normal person would think about bringing a light )

If I have my car I'll always have at least a 3D mag/terralux drop in, and whatever my current fascniation is.

wow....now that I have actually written this out......I am starting to think I put more effort into my flashlight than most people put into what their wardrobe is for the day !

GreySave

Enlightened
Absolutely. What I choose to carry on any given day depends upon a number of factors including the time of the year (how dark it is when I depart for work and return home), where I am headed (work versus a socuial occasion that might demand a more discreet light), the weather, and my assessment of how likely all of the preceeding and other factors might influence the possibility of being activated and asked to respond to an ongoing situation.

I do not normally carry spare batteries, but there are always at least six cells in a carrier in the primary response bag in my vehicle. Also an additional hazard rated light and a Coleman 123a lantern in that bag as well.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Mine rarely changes. I always have an Arc AAA on my keyring and one of Henry's creations in a holster (EDC or Ra Twisty). I have yet to need more than that, except with special circumstances, when I carry more.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely. What I choose to carry on any given day depends upon a number of factors including the time of the year (how dark it is when I depart for work and return home), where I am headed (work versus a socuial occasion that might demand a more discreet light), the weather, and my assessment of how likely all of the preceeding and other factors might influence the possibility of being activated and asked to respond to an ongoing situation.

+1 My EDC varies on what I will be doing. The only variable that doesn't change is my main EDC, which is a Ra Clicky. I have three different Clicky's, and I change up which one I carry all the time.

If I know I will be out for awhile after dark, I will add a 2-cell light to the mix. My main 2-cell users are my E2DL, TK11 R2, and DBS. Also, I always have my Draco on my keychain, which serves as a backup for my EDC.

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
Everywhere, all the time - Fenix P1D premium Q5 on belt.
Work days and during ambulance shifts - Fenix TK10 on belt as well.
Oh yeah, I also have a writing pen with LED light and laser pointer that I carry everywhere. It's very useful at work, on fire scenes/MVA scenes and for exercising the cat.
I also have a P3D premium Q5 that I never use since the other two Fenixes work better for the same purposes. The P1D is smaller and the TK10 is brighter.

Ideally, I would have the P1D all the time, a DBS V3 with R2 and MC-E pills for work and ambulance days, and maybe a modified Stanley HID or Streamlight lightbox for the car. I'm also looking for a good LED light with warm tint and throw for my fire helmet (maybe a TK20 or E20?). Anything beyond those would be for collecting/novelty purposes.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently, I carry a 1AAA flashlight, a 1AA flashlight, and a fauxton flashlight on me day and night.

One or two 2xCR123A lights are added at night.

There are additional LED lights in my truck.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
90% of the time it's a PD30.

Whilst I have lost my interest in reverse clickies, multi modes, tiny lights, I will never get rid of it because how useful it is for General purposes.

If for some reason I don't want it I'll carry my 6PL, which has happened a lot lately.

My E2DL is single mode so it would just waste batteries and lets how I don't need to light up something close.

firefly99

Enlightened
There are simply too many gadgets to carry around and I had no intention of looking like Batman or a gadget freak.

Strictly speaking for EDC, I only have my wallet, keychain and cell phone on my body when I am out and about. A Photon Freedom is attached to my keychain.

Other gadgets are placed into my bag. Eg. If I know I had a task later that will require a light, my SF E2D will be in my jean pocket. Otherwise, I will just leave it in my bag.

I do practise multiple level of preparedness. By putting gadgets at various place in advance.

Eg. 2 flashlights in my car, some flashlights in my office drawer, etc.

Hence, when I walk out of my house to my car, I had a E2D in bag, photon on keychain. Inside the car, I had another 2 flashlights.

Reached my office, I had a E2D in bag, photon on keychain. flashlights in my office drawers.