I need a replacement for a Fenix P1D Q5

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
I currently EDC a Fenix P1D Q5 in my rucksack which i take to work. I am currently using one AW 16340 battery, however, this battery type may not be entirely suitable to the P1D circuit and therefore i am looking for a replacement EDC.

Although I would like the light to be roughly the same size as the P1D, smaller would be preferable. A twisty or clicky both be fine, and a lock out tailcap. I would like it to be well regulated using 16340 cells and have a runtime of at least 30 mins at 100%. The only light i can think of is the Liteflux LF3 XT.

Can anyone suggest any others that would be suitable?

strideredc

Enlightened
andy,

i have been using my one (p1d) for years on AW's. when i go camping i can run 6 cells through it non stop in one night. still runs fine. i did change the LED when i first got it to a SSC. but its now had 100's of AW's cells through it...

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
andy,

i have been using my one (p1d) for years on AW's. when i go camping i can run 6 cells through it non stop in one night. still runs fine. i did change the LED when i first got it to a SSC. but its now had 100's of AW's cells through it...

Hi,

do you use 3 Volt or 3,7 Volt rcr?

polkiuj

Enlightened
Ra EDC exec/tactical
Ra Twisty
Nitecore EX10
Muyshondt Nautilus
BitZ pocketlight
Surefire also has many small lights that probably fit ur requirement?

What is the budget anyway? :naughty:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think the only light you can think of is the correct light for you to consider. If you've got money to burn there are others for a bit more (Ra and Novatac) that are great, but I think you've already made an excellent choice.

Geoff

GrooveRite

Enlightened
For the people who both have the P1D Q5 and D10/EX10.....is the D10/EX10 better than P1DQ5 in regulation? Is it brighter? Have longer run times in low and high modes?

Should I replace my mighty (and old, lol) P1D Q5 for a D10/EX10? Would I be happy with this change?

Pontiaker

Enlightened
arent there 3 volt rcr123s that would work? replacing the light to fit the battery seems a little backwards to me...

Yeah me too.

Just keep using it with the AW batts and dont worry about it. If anything does happen then upgrade to a new PD20, you wont believe how bright it is for the size and I also use the AW batts in mine all the time, no problem.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Ra EDC exec/tactical
Ra Twisty
Nitecore EX10
Muyshondt Nautilus
BitZ pocketlight
Surefire also has many small lights that probably fit ur requirement?

What is the budget anyway? :naughty:

Thank you for your suggestions. I will have a look at these lights, and my budget is $300.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
I currently EDC a Fenix P1D Q5 in my rucksack which i take to work. I am currently using one AW 16340 battery, however, this battery type may not be entirely suitable to the P1D circuit and therefore i am looking for a replacement EDC.

Although I would like the light to be roughly the same size as the P1D, smaller would be preferable. A twisty or clicky both be fine, and a lock out tailcap. I would like it to be well regulated using 16340 cells and have a runtime of at least 30 mins at 100%. The only light i can think of is the Liteflux LF3 XT.

Andylondon, I am not trying to discourage you from getting a new EDC, but when reading your post, it seems like the issue isn't the EDC but the type of battery you are using.

I guess the term 100% output is a relative term. How bright of a light do you need?

I currently run AW's LiFePo4 in my P1D Q5. The primary mode (which I use most of the time) is like 50% brightness but supposedly with emitter output of 96 lumen, it is plenty bright for most EDC situations, and it will last about 50 minutes with the LiFePo4. The nice part of this type of cell is that @3.2V I also have all the other modes, especially the useful low mode.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Andylondon, I am not trying to discourage you from getting a new EDC, but when reading your post, it seems like the issue isn't the EDC but the type of battery you are using.

I guess the term 100% output is a relative term. How bright of a light do you need?

I currently run AW's LiFePo4 in my P1D Q5. The primary mode (which I use most of the time) is like 50% brightness but supposedly with emitter output of 96 lumen, it is plenty bright for most EDC situations, and it will last about 50 minutes with the LiFePo4. The nice part of this type of cell is that @3.2V I also have all the other modes, especially the useful low mode.

Hi Liteshow,

I like to use the maximum level that the light can handle. I do have LiFePo4 batteries also, but the run time on turbo mode is a little short. That is why i like using AW 16340 cells which gives me a longer run time on turbo.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get a Muyshondt Nautilus, it is easily the best 1xCR123 EDC on the market, hands down.

fenixflashaholic0537

Newly Enlightened
Love the Olight t10 Q5 2008 version. It's all throw though. If your looking for something with more flood then If you were me, I would keep looking.:poke:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yeah me too.

Just keep using it with the AW batts and dont worry about it. If anything does happen then upgrade to a new PD20, you wont believe how bright it is for the size and I also use the AW batts in mine all the time, no problem.

I think the "suitability" issue that andylondon is referring to deals with proper amount of light from each mode. I'm using AW cells in my P1D Q5 but there are only small small differences between med, high, and low, thus it can't give any significant run-time which is a pretty big deal for edc'ers.

The one thing that it does have going for it is that is very bright and it's not a terribly expensive light.

Ritch

Enlightened
For the people who both have the P1D Q5 and D10/EX10.....is the D10/EX10 better than P1DQ5 in regulation? Is it brighter? Have longer run times in low and high modes?

Should I replace my mighty (and old, lol) P1D Q5 for a D10/EX10? Would I be happy with this change?

Maybe *replace* is the wrong word. But you could complete ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202436

> richard