Ever run into non-CPF'ers using premium lights?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a mover for almost 16 years, and one of the things I do as a mover is pack my customer's posessions in boxes. As a flashaholic, I'm always on the lookout for flashlights. But in those almost 16 years, I've only seen maybe 2 Surefires, a Pelican or other dive light, and maybe 3 or 4 Inovas. I've seen several Photons, Inova Microlights and other keychain lights. Other than those few examples, I basically never see anything "above the rank of MagLite". I have run into a couple heating & A/C contractors and building maintenance workers with more premium lights, but aside from that, nothing. And I've never run into anybody in the general public that had anything more than some 5mm led light.

Have you run into non-CPF'ers using premium lights? I know that most police, fire fighters and possibly EMT's probably have some, but I'm talking about people who aren't exactly the target customers of the companies that make the more expensive lights.

Also, have you ever seen someone using a flashlight, and started a conversation with them about flashlights only to discover they are a CPF'er? I haven't.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once had a supplier come in for a meeting with a SureFire E1L. It was well worn and he pulled it out to look closely at an engine mount stamping I was asking him to quote on.

Other than that, a friend had a Coast (David?) 1AA luxeon he bought in Germany.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Believe it or not, I saw a guy with a McGizmo Ti PD-S in a bathroom, of all places. :shrug:

We were washing our hands at the same time, and the Ti McG clip caught my eye.

I looked up, and he was staring right at me. :oops: :poof: Then it hit me... it was just my reflection in the mirror. :shakehead It was a relief too, as it I found myself thinking that this guy was so good looking. :D

:thumbsup: john

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup: almost spilled my juice there John!
I have yet to run into another person with an exceptional flashlight.:(

Mayo

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
While at the gun range the rangle masters had like 4 Surefires lined up against the window. They were E1L, E2D led, and I forgot the other two, but they were E series too. Maybe they were CPF members.:poke:

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
A friend of mine is a non-CPF'er, but frequents Usual Suspects Network, BladeForums, etc. He owns multiple SureFire and Fenix lights. He's admitted to lurking in our hallways a few times. Lighthound, Fenix-store, and other dealers have a presence on those forums.

There's healthy cross-pollination between guns, knives, and flashlight enthusiasts.

T3hk1w1

Newly Enlightened
There's healthy cross-pollination between guns, knives, and flashlight enthusiasts.

I've noticed that as well. I found out about this place from a firearms forum.

seaside

Enlightened
Yes. couple times.

One of them was a fisherman, the other guy was a diver. I guess they needed bright lights for their purpose, and naturally they picked up good light before even they knew CPF.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at a rainforest cafe in December, and was with a buddy who used to work there. So we're there after closing and one of the managers was taking inventory of some bottles at the bar. She pulled a light from her belt, and I didn't really pay any attention till it lit up... Suddenly I was like whoa, gauged the brightness and general tint and thought Surefire. When she clipped it back on her belt, I recognized it to be an E1B! I figure we live near Surefire, maybe she knows someone, or maybe she just knows.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that's what I'm sayin! I fully expect she was probably given it by a boyfriend/husband (not that a woman can't appreciate a good light on her own).

Culhain

Enlightened
A fine gentleman that works part time with our company is a veteran of multiple tours in Mesopotamia. He regularly uses a SF 6P or E2D and has other lights that he doesn't use from Streamlight and Pelican. He hangs out online at the gun and knife forums, but wasn't aware of CPF. Interestingly, last fall we had an extended power outage and he said that he got by with a few Mag D cell LEDs. I sent him an email to the CPF addy, but to my knowledge he has not registered.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
NEVER!

Here in Brasil, "premium lights" are incan Maglites. I always see someone (in camping, or hiking) using incan Mags only.

I have some friends that aren´t CPFers, but have their Fenix, Lumapower and Surefire lights, but all of them bought those lights with my indication... hehehe.

KingGlamis

Banned
It doesn't happen often, but in the last year it has happened more than it used to. Mostly I see people with SureFires or Streamlights. I have a few cop buddies and it's amazing that they had never even heard of Fenix before I showed them one.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I've ever met another CPFer but I know a couple of guys at the bicycle shop who carry NovaTacs -- one of them also caries an Ultra-G. I also know a couple guys with pretty slick weapon lights.

ypsifly

Enlightened
I fish at night and have run into other fishermen carrying quality lights. A few SFs (2 G2s and a 9P) but mostly Streamlights. Twin Tasks, Scorpions and a couple headlamps. Almost all came from the "local" Cabela's or a gun shop.

Latest posts