The Strion LED is out (pics)

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up one from opticsplanet.com. The name reminds me of Pizza Planet from Toy Story 1, but that is neither here nor there.

This is not so much of a review as it is just a couple of pics.

The Strion LED is a little thinner and longer than the SF 6P. Aluminum body with tail switch that operates just like the Polystinger LED: momentary hi, with constant-on hi-med-low, and double click for a fast strobe.

A quick darkened basement test shows the Strion LED to have a much fatter (and therefore less intense) spot. At 30' on the wall, the Strion LED looks to my eyeballs to be about half as bright as the Polystinger LED, but too great degree that is because its smaller reflector is less throwy, and its cranking a few less lumens (160 to 185 with the Polystinger LED). The Polystinger LED is an awesome light, and the more I use it the more I like it. It really throws. The Strion LED is not so throwy, and (subject to real outdoor testing) seems more geared toward short to medium distances.

The Strion LED uses the Strion (incan) charger. The Strion (incan) and Strion LED each have a lithium-ion battery with the same part number, but they are not interchangeable. The Strion LED's battery has a metal tail contact, whereas the Strion (incan) battery does not. It can be left in the charger 24/7.

First impression is positive, though I might be wishing that it was a little more throwy. But you aren't going to get monster throw from a sub-1" reflector. The Strion LED is small enough for belt carry or EDC, but you'll have to come up with your own holster.

Definitely a step in the right direction from the incan flavor IMO.

32009032.jpg

32009034.jpg

32009031.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice pictures! Is the finish HA 111?

If the finish was type III it would be a departure for Streamlight since they normally use type II. To my eye it looks to be a fine glass beaded finish with type II applied to it afterward.

Thanks for the pics powernoodle. Other than efficiency it seems that the new stinger falls short in the performance department. Would I be correct in guessing that the reflector is smooth?

It would be great to see comparison shots. :)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice looking light; great pics. I happen to like floodier lights, so I'm interested. Is the hotspot, "the white disk", or does the hot point gradually fade to spill? I hate the White Disk!

cslinger

Enlightened
So let me see if I have the UI correct.

If I simply use the momentary/light push function, I always get full blast high power.
If I double click the button I get strobe. (Full clicks or double momentary too?)

How does the constant on work? I click to turn on what level comes on? If I momentary press do I get high or does it cycle? Does it remember the last setting or does it revert back to whatever level it starts with?

Thanks much, great pics. I have been waiting for this light for a while.

maxilux

Enlightened
Can you compare the Output of the Strion LED to the Stinger LED, what can you say, at example 70% Throw to the Stinger? Thanks for the Report.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its difficult to make a direct comparison in output, because the Stinger has a very tight spot and the Strion's is bigger and fatter. At short distances they are pretty much the same in apparent output, but the farther out you go the more you see the difference.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
So let me see if I have the UI correct.

I think you have it right.

Light press and hold gives momentary on, which is always high output.

One click gives constant high.

While on (constant), hold down the button and it cycles high-med-low-med-high. Release and it stays on your choice.

At any time (on or off), double click and you get constant strobe.

sygyzy

Enlightened
Thank you for the pictures and mini review. And especially for posting with bold on for us old foggies that can't read the normal type.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not done any runtime tests, but Streamlight alleges High - 160 lumens, up to 2 hours, Medium - 80 lumens, up to 4 hours, Low - 40 lumens, up to 7.5 hours, Disorienting Strobe - runs for up to 5.5 hours. And its billed as being regulated, though I don't know if thats real, tabletop flat regulation or not.

I translate "up to" to really mean "something less than", so use your best judgment. :)

bioman

Newly Enlightened
powernoodle,
Any pics of the Polystinger and Strion side by side?

If you could only have one, which would it be?

I ordered the Strion, but I am thinking I should have got the Polystinger for a general purpose light instead.

deusexaethera

Banned
Meh. How many big durable lights can you really use? I prefer the small ones that pack an impressive punch and look sexy doing it.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the beam; artifacts, rings, tint?

Can you compare it to some other popular lights? I would love a comparison to the Inova T4, which I think is for the same mission/usage. Obviously, the Strion is alot smaller, but the T4 has a fat, floody smooth beam which I really like.

TexLite

Enlightened
I have not done any runtime tests, but Streamlight alleges High - 160 lumens, up to 2 hours, Medium - 80 lumens, up to 4 hours, Low - 40 lumens, up to 7.5 hours, Disorienting Strobe - runs for up to 5.5 hours. And its billed as being regulated, though I don't know if thats real, tabletop flat regulation or not.

I translate "up to" to really mean "something less than", so use your best judgment. :)

Should get at least 2 hours on high with ok regulation according to the runtime graph. Runtime could be increased by making up your own battery out of the current high capacity Li-Ion cells. The 2900mAh Panasonic would be great, adding ~30% to the runtime. The stock cell is 2000mAh.

Keep in mind as well, the 160lm's are torch lumens, not emitter lumens.

I'm with greenLED on the design, I wish they would have stuck with the incan design for the body. I even prefer the look of the smooth side over the newer incan Strion with the grooves. Its a nice looking light though, I like it better than the grooved Strion.

-Michael

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the beam; artifacts, rings, tint?

Can you compare it to some other popular lights? I would love a comparison to the Inova T4, which I think is for the same mission/usage. Obviously, the Strion is alot smaller, but the T4 has a fat, floody smooth beam which I really like.

I like the new body design; perhaps I'm in the minority. But, I'm on the fence about buying one for the above reasons. So, I'm continuing to troll for information, please!

lovecpf