Reflector/Optic & Maglite Head

JamisonM

Enlightened
This is actually something I wanted to do years back, but never did. I've got a hipCC waiting on for something to power and I plan on a tri-seoul build. I'm at a crossroads right at the moment. Do I go with reflectors or optics? I'd rather have throw more so then spill, so it looks as if the optics are what I'll end up with. My main problem is just what can I fit in a D cell maglite's head. I'm looking at 25mm kathod optics for SSC's P4 LEDs. Using three quarters as a rough guide, they won't fit, but after looking at the optics themselves, I think a little sanding will fix that.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three Khatod 8˚ optics in holders fit in a Mag head without sanding. The holders are 23.6mm in diameter, so the amount of sanding you'll need to fit your three optics will be minimal.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Three Khatod 8˚ optics in holders fit in a Mag head without sanding. The holders are 23.6mm in diameter, so the amount of sanding you'll need to fit your three optics will be minimal.
Luke, which optics are you referring to? I've been thinking of using Khatod's PL02806.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luke, which optics are you referring to? I've been thinking of using Khatod's PL02806.

I'm referring to the ones available in 10-packs from KD. Three of those fit in a Mag head without sanding, so your optics which, while certainly different, are only slightly larger and will fit with only a little sanding.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have those optics from KD and they do NOT fit a Mag head
Maybe the batch I got from them is different to the ones you got
LukeA
I measure the diameter of the optic as 23.30mm

DSC01072.jpg

DSC01070.jpg

Al Combs

Enlightened
I have a post that will give accurate info on what size reflectors will fit. Post #9 in that same thread lists a formula you just have to paste into an Excel spreadsheet for quick results. If B2 is the number of items and A2 is diameter of each, then a paste formula for overall diameter would be, "=(1+1/SIN(PI()/B2))*A2". Use just the portion in quotes.

Khatod's pdf lists PL02806 as having a diameter of 24.8 mm. So three of them will fit in a circle (or bezel) 53.437 mm in diameter. My D cell MagLite has a small step in the front of the reflector housing 2¼ mm deep and only 50mm in diameter. That's a lot of sandpaper.

I was looking at a PhotonFanatic post on Khatod TIR's and Reflectors. He mentions in the first line of the post that Khatod say they all work with the P4 without modification. The P4's dome is only 5.6mm diam and the hole in the 20mm optic (KEPL19806) is 5.8mm. So it should fit. But since it doesn't have the feet like the 25 mm optic you mentioned, you'll need a holder. I'm not sure if PhotonFanatic carries the holders for these.

Have you looked at the Khatod triples? Since that's what you're trying to make anyway, they might be a better suited to this light. Designed as a component for MR16's, they have an OD of 50 mm. Now we're talking sandpaper. Also there is a locator notch that would need filing off. I'm not sure who sells these, maybe Cutter.

Good luck:wave:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have those optics from KD and they do NOT fit a Mag head
Maybe the batch I got from them is different to the ones you got
LukeA
I measure the diameter of the optic as 23.30mm

DSC01072.jpg

DSC01070.jpg

They fit if you put them all on the same level as the one on the top.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i fit mine like those in by just sanding off the edges where they meet, then (of course) putting glow powder back behind the optic on the white holder (which was fun).
no optics were hurt, just taking off the holder down to nothing where they meet. enough to insure they still snap into the holders, the optics TOUCH almost when cut down, but no part of the actual optic was removed.
and if its going on Cree things, remember before you start hacking off holder, you gotta ALIGN it, because on the cree thing it FITS over the ring and past the emitter cermic board thing, locking in its rotation.

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
i fit mine like those in by just sanding off the edges where they meet, then (of course) putting glow powder back behind the optic on the white holder (which was fun).
no optics were hurt, just taking off the holder down to nothing where they meet. enough to insure they still snap into the holders, the optics TOUCH almost when cut down, but no part of the actual optic was removed.
and if its going on Cree things, remember before you start hacking off holder, you gotta ALIGN it, because on the cree thing it FITS over the ring and past the emitter cermic board thing, locking in its rotation.
This is what I'm talking about. Has anybody had success in fitting 3 of khatod's PL02806 optics in a similar manner?