Deans type connector question.

Parker VH

Enlightened
Hi Guys,
I'll try and explain what I'm looking for as best I can as I'm no electronics pro.
I'm looking for a "Y" type connector to put inline from the leads on a Lipo battery to allow me to charge the battery without disconnecting it from my POB light as the battery will be enclosed inside and I'd rather not have to take off the tail cap to access it. I have Deans type connectors on the battery now and was hoping there were factory made connectors that would have two sets of leads coming from one.
I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If there is some other type connector that would offer this other than the Deans type feel free to let me know.
My goal is to have the charging connector mounted outside the POB and then just hooking the charger up to that without havung to disconnect the leads running from the battery to the light itsefl.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you can buy dean's connectors in a Y type configuration in r/c supply stores. If not, it is not that hard to make one up.

Of course, if you are charging a LiPo pack, then you still need the balancing taps connection as well.

If you mean a sort of "hard" connection that is fixed to the side of the light, then perhaps a simple banana connector pair would work better. That way you could have 2 female connections on the light body and cap them when not in use.

Parker VH

Enlightened
Harry,
I will leave the balancing wire external. Not too concerned if the external leads are hard connected or not. Any particular place that I could search for the Y type Deans connector? I bought the battery, charger and original Deans connectors from Hobby King.
Thanks.
Bob

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Pairs-Deans-S...hash=item200323520927&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

get something like these, and some good copper speaker or hookup wire (speaker wire because it has good copper in it usually even if its cheap, but speaker wire is not nessisaily heat resistant)
the reason i would make my OWN, because lots of power hookup wire isnt very copper filled, and ends up with a lot more resistance than desired, depending on what your using it for and the distances and all, copper wire can be a LOT better than whatever STUFF they keep putting on things made for me . then sometimes the wiring they put in is either to small, or way oversized, and sometimes poorly clamped instead of soldered in.

then you got enough to make 2 Y connects, and two ways to connect it to things too.
and then your gonna need some Heat shrink tubing too, to finish it off all professional like.

Last edited:

worldedit

Enlightened
I cant find any y-connectors with 2 female plugs. I guess there isnt that much demand for them.
You could use just the balance plug for charging.

Talking about safety. Lipos are dangerous especially while charging. I always keep mine in a fireproof case.

Turbo Guy

Enlightened
The two outside balancing leads connect to the battery at the same points as the main power leads, that being pack(battery) negative and battery positive. This means that the two outside balancing leads(connections) can also be used for charging as long as you limit charge rate to around 2amps. max. You did not mention the capacity of the battery.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I have a charger that will charge up to a 4 cell lipo/lion through the balancing port with NO NEED to connect the deans. PM me if you want more info.

EDIT: Someone did PM me and when I went to the site to get a link to my charger, I found they discontinued that model. The replacement probably still charges through the balance port but at $80 instead of $50, I no longer think it's worth it.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
$15?! I could make 5 of them for that price.
5?

Using These knockoff connector from DX, I could make almost 20 for that price :naughty:

I actually bought a whole bunch of these, as well as the banana plugs from DX, and a ton of silicone wire from a surplus store for next to nothing, and basically spent a good part of an afternoon making TONS of adapters and cables for all my electronics stuff. Several hundred dollars worth of cables (based on RC prices) for under $50, and I still have a lot of raw supplies on hand to make more.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
5?

Using These knockoff connector from DX, I could make almost 20 for that price :naughty:

I actually bought a whole bunch of these, as well as the banana plugs from DX, and a ton of silicone wire from a surplus store for next to nothing, and basically spent a good part of an afternoon making TONS of adapters and cables for all my electronics stuff. Several hundred dollars worth of cables (based on RC prices) for under $50, and I still have a lot of raw supplies on hand to make more.

I have those, but I don't have any 12ga stranded wire. :broke:

Latest posts