Serious Mako question, OK maybe not too serious.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Not wanting to offend anyone with this but I have a queston about all the Mako's being sold right now.

Why?

Did you commit to buying the light before you knew all about it or is it something else? Did something happen during later tweaking that you didn't agree with but you felt honor bound to purchase it anyway? I just want to know if it's anything specific. I think some people just moved on as far as their desires go as they were built then when it showed they though why not sell and go in another direction.

You see I think the Mako sounds awesome and I just sent the PP for one myself but I am curious why all the selling is going on.

I like the idea of a tough little Ti light with 2 levels and crazy runtime, maybe some are more interested in brightness? :thinking:

Rudi

Enlightened
If a light interests me, there's only one way to hold it in hand for evaluation and that is to buy it. Enrique's lights always interest me for their well thought out designs and fine quality, and some are among my favorites. But that doesn't mean that every one of Enrique's lights will fill all my expectations—form-factor, performance, beam quality, ergonomics, etc.—and those that don't, will fit someone else's needs and will move on. It often has nothing to do with the light itself, only with how it suits me personally.

carrot

Flashaholic
Shoot well I just wrote a huge thing about the Mako vs. the Sapphire in a PM and to sum it up I think the Sapphire just has broader appeal but the Mako is no slouch. I like my special Mako very much and I doubt I will ever let this one go. The regular Mako turns out to not be as good a fit for me but I have some strange personal preferences it seems.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sgt :nana:

I purchased two Makos and I personally like them....that being said, over the years have seen this question raised about "anticipated lights", particularly "Custom" lights. I like Rudi's answer and agree, no matter who buys and reviews or sells, I prefer to make my own decision about quality, size, run time, and the feasibility of using or collecting for my intended purposes.

Since I have two, I might sell one and not mention I have another or I might decide that the dollars spent is better suited to another light , another hobby or simply my pocket. Perhaps my situation has changed or the light is simply not what I expected or .....

If the light was truly defective, I would take that up with the "maker", and not the rest of the forum, unless it was a very extreme situation.

Point from my perspective is that it seems very normal to see lights For Sale after a release and I don't infer anything unless I read repeated issues.

Just my 1 pennies worth! (Enjoy your Mako, I am!!) :D

Jeffb

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
lovecpf

Good stuff in your post. I figured it was along those lines but it's good to get backup on it.

I can't wait to try out one for myself.

carrot

Flashaholic
Well do tell! How is yours special?

Maybe yours would appeal to me too!
To my knowledge there are only two like mine and they are both currently in my possession -- I have a 60-degree (wide-angle) LED instead of the regular 15-degree one.

I am very attached to mine and the second 60-degree is going to a friend (who is on CPF by the way) despite my attempts to con him into taking the 15-degree Mako that I also ordered (he flat out said NO, he'll take the flood).

I am exceedingly pleased with it but now I am left with three neckworthy lights (CR2 Ion, Ti Sapphire, Mako) and I have no idea what to choose. I've been carrying all three stashed in various pockets.

I am a little saddened to see that the Mako was not for everyone (the ones that were relisted right away) as I seem to have had my nose in the whole process (constantly pestering Endeavour to see if he was shipping mine yet) but the reality is no light will suit everyone. It is dim, yes, but the insanely long runtime makes the Mako an incredible light and definitely bright enough to be useful.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading Carrot's reply.....I also have a Sapphire that I have used more, because have had it longer.

They are both Ti and AAA lights, but to me have very different features, including different LED's (tail stand, 2 level, bead blasting, smaller attachment point vs flood, tint, single level), Both to me are very well made and "smooth" as I would expect from these makers.

I may keep both or sell or give one away (sons like key chain lights and wife is continually asking to "borrow" a light!).

So for now I will use and appreciate both. It would be very difficult to call one "better", except perhaps for a specific purpose.

Again just my opinion!!

jeffb

jslappa

Enlightened
How about a view from a newbie? Now, I've been snooping around here for almost a year, but just recently decided to step up my tactical light game. When I bought my Sig Sauer P229 and P239, i picked up a Streamlight NF-2. An incan light with 60 or 65 lumens. As recommended by the gun shop, I bought it and was blissfully unaware of anything better. I often bragged to friends, brought it camping and burned tons of primaries during the process. About a year ago I picked up a Surefire E2L for the runtime and the dual mode. I love that light. So much so that I bought another just to have.

As often happens in life, priorities change, interests change and new loves emerge. I have many rifles, shotguns and Pistols; but only one tactical light and a bunch of C Maglites. It was time to upgrade my lights! I began reading many reviews, and just the way people talked about their lights I became excited in them. I didn't know what I wanted. How could I? So I started buying all kinds of lights. DX lights, LH lights, and recently CPF members' lights. A year later and I am finally learning about what I want. I'm probably a little older than many users here, but I have now found what I think is a great solution to my buying frenzy.

I want a great thrower.
OK, so Flashcrazy is selling the Tiablo A9 with an aspherical lens. I can't wait 4 months for a DEFT so this will fill that void in my life.

I want a compact flooder.
Fine, secured a couple Malkoff MD2's and put a Malkoff M60 MC-E in one. Mission accomplished.

I need an EDC
No problem. E2L has worked for over a year. No point changing now, since my needs and purpose for and EDC haven't changed.

I would like a compact light.
Done. LED Lenser $9.99 String it to my dog tags and tuck it in my shirt.

So now I have 50 or so other lights that I have purchased along the way that mostly sit and collect dust. I have been unloading some lately.

The bottom line, I think, is that we think we need something, or believe that a particular light like the MAKO or an AEON can fill. Often times, after the wonder of it subsides, we realize it fills less of a need than desired. That money might be better spent elsewhere. Let's sell it for the next big thing. Like the Black Tie.......No one really knows what is will be exactly, but there is a big ol' list of people ready to plop down $500. I might just add my name to the list!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It is dim, yes, but the insanely long runtime makes the Mako an incredible light and definitely bright enough to be useful.
Very cool, I always want a lower low and longer runtimes.
At 6mA I think I will be satisfied on the brightness and 60 hours of light! I think it's nice to have a 5mm light that isn't overdriven or blue, the Ti is a great bonus. Who knows I might even try out the 20mA setting every now and then too............:tinfoil:

A floody Mako would be really nice. Good call on the 60 degree. Is it a good neutral tint cree as well? Maybe in the future he'll sell extra heads!
:paypal:

carrot

Flashaholic
It is the same emitter as the 5mm but it has a different epoxy dome. Tint absolutely blows away the Nichia offerings. If I ever get the chance to score a second 60-degree Mako just like my current one I'd do so in a heartbeat!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
jslappa:

I think newbie views are good. You haven't been too tainted by CPF yet and still have rational insight into owning high dollar lights. Mine has been blasted away!

Plus you post in a way that's easy to read and really expresses how you think and feel. Good job, I think this place needs more "newbies" like you.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It is the same emitter as the 5mm but it has a different epoxy dome. Tint absolutely blows away the Nichia offerings. If I ever get the chance to score a second 60-degree Mako just like my current one I'd do so in a heartbeat!
Awesome! I think I'll bug him to make extra heads. I know people would love to have different heads. I saw the red option was avalible but I didn't see a green or amber chioce, cyan or orange would be neat. Maybe I could get one of each.
The utility of flood is too often forgotten so I'll prompt for the 60 degree more than anything.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit surprised to see a thread of this nature posted about the Mako as opposed to any other light. It's not uncommon on the CPF to see people buy a light and then turn it around quickly after they've had a chance to play with them. Every project I've seen done to date here has had that happen, and usually in quantities rather greater than four lights. That's simply the nature of things and their reasons are usually fairly simple, and rarely indicative of anything further.

-Enrique

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I hope you are not offended! I did not mean to imply the light has a problem. Your stuff is usually hard to get away from owners and I was only curious.

I just found it so odd people waited to get them then sold them within a week.

:ohgeez:Now I'll never get my 60 degree head! :ohgeez:

youreacrab

Enlightened
I'm a bit surprised to see a thread of this nature posted about the Mako as opposed to any other light. It's not uncommon on the CPF to see people buy a light and then turn it around quickly after they've had a chance to play with them. Every project I've seen done to date here has had that happen, and usually in quantities rather greater than four lights. That's simply the nature of things and their reasons are usually fairly simple, and rarely indicative of anything further.

-Enrique

love the mako, but its up for sale, in part, because i want more aeons!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Probably so. :thinking:

I ran into the sales/development thread and kicked myself for not getting in on it because it sounds prefect and then I missed the first one that sold aftermarket. A bit later I saw a few more for sale and they seemed to pop up nearly at the same time.

I'm sure I did take greater notice because I wanted one and missed it twice before landing one. Good call!

Latest posts