• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Cheap Aspheric Lens

ahorton

Enlightened
Closed

THIS SALES THREAD IS CLOSED. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HERE.

The New Sales Thread is Here

I will leave the information here for historic reasons:

I have had requests that I sell my lovely aspheric lenses.

So here they are for AUD$10 each (USD$8 on May 21 10).
or 10 for AUD$50 (USD$40 on May 21 10)
or 20 for AUD$80 (USD$70 on May 21 10)
or 50 for AUD$175 (USD$150 on May 21 10)
Just imagine the fun you'd have with 50 XRE-R2s behind Aspherics. My estimation is that it would shine 1.4km and have a beam width of 125m. Oneday, I hope to make a few of these 200W spotlights.

Picture122-1.jpg

Picture129-1.jpg

BK7 Crown Glass

11g

30mm wide, including 2.5mm lip around the outside. So the lens is effectively 25mm wide.

2mm thick at the edges, 14mm in the middle

The die is projected best when the (flat) back of the lens is held around 6.5mm from the top of the XR-E dome. So it collects a lot of light.

The projected die is about 85-90mm wide at 1000mm. While this isn't as tight as a 50mm lens will give you, I think it's pretty good for how compact it is.

I have been told that with a small amount of grinding, it fits into a W200 or UltraFire WF-501B and works well but I have not tried this myself. Packhorse has given these lenses a nice review in his build threads.

Postage cost is the same for up to 20 lenses. Contact me if you want more than that. I think I can package up to 100 for hardly any extra cost. You are welcome to use this thread to get a group buy together. I hate the thought of postage being than half of the cost.

Within Australia:
AU$5.50 Regular Parcel post.

International:
AUD$24 Registered Airmail delivers in 7-10 working days
AUD$14 Airmail delivers in 7-10 working days

Let me know if you want a different postage method.

Payment can be made to my Paypal account [email protected]
but please put your CPF name with the payment and post in this thread as well.

I cannot promise that your own country will not charge some sort of customs duty or other tariffs but I will do my best to provide the right documentation so that it gets through without drama.

Purchase list:
jankj - 3, paid, sent, arrived Wednesday April 15, (estimated arrival was Friday April 17)
packhorse - 10, paid, sent, arrived Wednesday April 15, (estimated arrival was Tuesday April 21)
hp84117 - 5, paid, sent, should arrive by Wednesday April 29
MrNaz - 10, paid, sent, should arrive by Monday May 11
ehallspqr - 6, paid, sent, should arrive by Wednesday May 20
littlerm - 1, paid, sent, should arrive by Wednesday May 13
packhorse - 20, paid, posted Monday May 11 and should arrive by Friday May 22
Richard - 10, paid, posted Monday June 15, should arrive by Friday June 19
Benson - 6, paid, posted Monday June 15, should arrive by Friday June 27
Jamie.91 - 1, paid, will be posted Monday August 17, arrived Tuesday 25 (estimated arrival time was Monday 31)
packhorse - 20, paid, posted and arrived.
SUBJohan - 10, paid, posted, arrived October 10, (estimated arrival time was October 16)
MDS82 - 10, paid, arrived October 20, (estimated arrival time was October 26)
roguesw - 10, paid, posted Tuesday October 13, should arrive before Tuesday October 27
Dom - 50, paid, posted, arrived October 26 (estimated arrival time was October 26)
Pepko - 20, paid, posted Tuesday November 10 (should arrive by Tuesday November 24)
Moddo - 20, paid, posted Friday November 13
Heckboy - 10, paid, sent, received
Pyro - 10, paid, sent.
Trout - 10, paid, sent, arrived Feb 12, (estimated arrival was Feb 18).
Roland Gama - 20, paid, sent Feb 17, should arrive before March 3.
c9ruslan - 10, paid, Arrived after 2 months*
Symbology - 20, paid, should arrive by April 1.
PeLu- 2 (with 5 waterproof connectors), paid, should arrive by April 5.
Tplas - 10, paid, sent, should arrive by April 20.
Hockne - 6 waterproof connectors, paid, sent, should arrive by April 20.

Total = 304

NB: Whenever people tell me exact date that the lenses arrived, I make a note here to give an idea of how long they take to ship.

* Apparently it takes 2 months for regular airmail to reach Kazakhstan. Be warned.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Lumapower M1 cree first generation fitted with a 30 dia x 14 mm FL aspheric I got from SS, this one may fit too.

HTH
AlexGT

ahorton

Enlightened
I don't know of any lights that these would drop into. I had these made for an aluminium headlamp that I'm developing.

As for the Lumapower M1 or any other flashlight you consider using this for, make sure that you can get the lens close enough to the LED. If you want an adjustable flood-throw, then you need to be moving the Lens 1mm to 6mm away from the LED dome (for Cree XR-E anyway). Most 30mm lenses I've seen have back focal lengths of around 10-15mm and that length looks terrible with this lens.

I have 500 of these but I'm only willing to part with about 50 for now. If there is interest, then I would be happy to get more made (500 at a time) but that will take me a few weeks. I'm lucky that I have a few business connections that allow me to get this done cheaply (per lens anyway, 500 lenses are not so cheap). Of course, if I start selling that many then I might have to put the price up so that I can rent a house closer to the post office.:grin2:

KentS

Newly Enlightened
Looks interesting. I recently got hold of a cool CPU heatsink from a computer my company was going to throw away. I've been thinking about using a MC-E with an aspheric lens to make a reading lamp. Do you have any idea how well theese lenses work with a MC-E?

ahorton

Enlightened
I think there are better ways to make a reading light than with an aspheric. These are primarily for long-throwing lights or adjustable spot-flood lights.

For a reading light you'll want something that is smoothly diffused.

KentS

Newly Enlightened
Ok, the reason I asked was because I got one of these:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15070
The best beam pattern I've seen so far with what looks like an aspheric lens. The only problem is that in their efforts to make it bright they drive it so hard that you actually can burn yourself on the aluminium parts. I suspect it won't last long.

ahorton

Enlightened
As you like. I'm happy to sell you aspherics if you want to try them out, but let's leave this discussion to a different thread.

jankj

Enlightened
I'll take 3, shipped international unregistered => AU$22 paid.

I'll send you a PM with adress details.

ahorton

Enlightened
Just made a few changes to the postage costs in the first post.

ahorton

Enlightened
Hi Packhorse,

Your inbox is full but I wanted to let you know that I have received your payment and I'll have them in the mail tomorrow. They may not get very far over Easter.

I look forward to seeing you use them.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Im looking forward to getting them.
Have you tried one with a MC-E?
I wonder if the beam will be OK if its out of focus enough.

ahorton

Enlightened
Thanks. Im looking forward to getting them.
Have you tried one with a MC-E?
I wonder if the beam will be OK if its out of focus enough.

Actually I have tried it and I liked the beam far more that the polymer optics I tried.

If you hold the lens less than 3mm from the MC-E dome you get a clean round beam with effectively no spill.

I haven't measured properly, but you can get a maximum flood of around 43 degrees (~0.8m wide beam at 1m). The tightest beam you can get is about 28 degrees (~0.5m wide beam at 1m) before you notice a dark middle or cross. Of course you can focus the dice just as in the XR-E but it's not as efficient.

ahorton

Enlightened
Added info to the first post regarding:
1 - Using this lens in the W200 dive torch
2 - Possible price increase in the future if these lenses become popular.

ahorton

Enlightened
MrNaz,

I sent you a few PMs but haven't heard back from you. I have your lenses ready to ship but I need to know your address.

PM me sometime and I'll get them in the mail.

ehallspqr

Newly Enlightened
Hello Ahorton, I would like to order 6 of these if possible. Can you give a total with shipping PM sent with address. Thanks E.H.