Leatherman Serac S3, very impressed!

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
I just bought an S3 on a whim since it was cheap on sale, and I got it today. Took it outside after dark to compare it against my EX10 GD and really wasn't expecting it to compare favorably, but man it does! :wow: On high it appears as bright as the EX10, as much throw with maybe a little brighter spill. The low mode on this light is really pretty bright, way plenty for walking around, you can see things 50 feet away or more pretty clearly with the light on low, and it will run for over two days on that level! The clip is one of the best I've seen and it's included with the light. Just like with my S2, the tint and quality of the beam is outstanding. I know these are Fenix produced lights, but for some reason they seem to have nicer beams on average than comparable Fenix lights, from my experience and the comments I keep reading on them. I don't know why. I would guess Leatherman sorts off the "ugly" ones before packaging, but for the price of these I just can't see them doing that. I was using a Surefire Batt in the S3 and a 3.7 AW RCR in the EX10. Anyway, just my two cents worth, but this light really exceeded my expectations. I hope these lights succeed in the marketplace, they are not just rebranded/lesser clones like I first thought. For once a big company entered a new market with some thought and not just "how much money can we make in this new area with our name stuck on cheap junky stuff" attitude.

P.S. NO annoying strobe or SOS levels to skip through either! Man, that's cool!

Last edited:

H.Roark

Newly Enlightened
I am really happy with mine as well. I use it for a few minutes every day. I have had it over a month and I am still on the original Coppertop battery. I particularly like the low mode. Really bright, 3-mode clicky, rock solid build, all for $59 CDN! I really don't see why this light does not get more coverage. I wish there was an AA version.

Last edited:

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
Maybe everyone already knows this, but the Fenix tactical switch fits these lights perfectly! I'm trying it out to see how I like it. You can't tailstand with it installed of course, but it just takes a few seconds to go back to the regular switch anyway.

grinsekatz

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree, it's really a nice light. :thumbsup:
Interesting thing is that you can mix the head and the body with the Fenix P1D CE.
So if you still want to have strobe just screw Leatherman body and Fenix head together.
On the other side you have finally a P1D CE without strobe, only three modes and a nice stainless steel head.:grin2:

Alex

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
Nope, they did sell a few L1T Fenixes packed with their multitools, but so far haven't added it to their regular lineup, kinda odd, I would think an AA would sell well, call it the S4 perhaps? :thinking: I think an L1T with stainless bezel and reversible pocket clip like the S3 would be great, no reason not to introduce it.

GPB

Enlightened
Amazon has this light for $45 but they'll give you $30 back if you get an Amazon Visa card...net cost for the light ends up at $15.00 !!!

....I need another credit card about as much as I need another light.....

cslinger

Enlightened
I have two S2's and they are fantastic. Great UI, great beam, plenty bright (more so then the packaging suggests with lithium AAAs) and the runtime on mine have been great. Build quality is excellent and I would agree better then my Fenix products so I am guess Leatherman may hold Fenix to higher degree of QC.

I hated my LOD AAA I love these S2s. The clicky button does it for me. One of the S2's has become my EDC.

Chris

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
Hello.

Can someone who owns a Serac comment on the UI?

Does the light always turns on low regardless if it was turned off on low or high mode?

I have read conflicting accounts on the UI and would appreciate a clarification.

TIA

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
One click sets the light on low. Click again within a few seconds or just a tap much like a L2D the S2 will set on high. Like other Fenix lights there is no memory so after a few seconds the S2 will start on low again. The S2 is my EDC. Great beam, made well and easy to carry. I think the S3 has the same UI only with 3 modes.

Edit. It is brighter than listed with NiMH or lithium. Like the LOD the output will drop like a rock on high so I think this is how they got the low lumen rates. I find the S2 to be just as bright as my friend's LOD however others think the LOD is a tinny bit brighter.

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
Both of my S2's always default to low. Initial turn on is via a VERY stiff rubber tail switch, which is great for pocket carry as there is little to no chance of accidental activation.

Once the light clicks on low switching back and forth from low to high is done by a slight very easy press of the switch or by turning the light off and quickly back on or by loosening and tightening the head.

Once the light is turned off and stays off for a few seconds (not sure how long) it will revert back to the low mode always.

Chris

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, Woods Walker and cslinger for the UI clarification.

Amazon has the S2 for $35. I may just hit the add to cart button.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have found it on line from 33-50 bucks so 35 is a good price. I got mine for 25 however EMS had a deal. Something like buy 100 bucks worth of gear and get a 25 dollars off card. So jumped on the S2. Then they had a sale on the whole line (guessing cashing out as they don't have them anymore). Picked up a S1 for 20 dollars. I think they dumped the rest of the S1s for 10.99 a few months later. Ran down my local EMS but they sold out. The S3 was long gone at 50.

SS bezel and nice working low plus bright high. The two modes work well. Nice easy to use UI. The only issue being the clicky fires off easy to the next level. So sometimes the sensative clicky would make the light flicker for a second but this only happened a few times. However the first click is stiff enough to keep the light from going off in my pocket. On the upside I like to just tap the next level so guessing the odd flicker every now and then is worth the easy tap thing.