Fenix LOD, Streamlight Microstream, same threads!

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Kind of cool but what can we do with it? I was playing with my stailess LOD and a Streamlight Micro Stream and realized the threads are the same! BUT, they ar on opposite parts. I sure wish the threads were reversed on these parts so I can add a clicky to my favorite EDC pocket light the stainless steel LOD. You can screww the two heads together and run either head depending on which end you put the pring on and what direction you install the battery....I might take the end of a regular black LOD, drill it out and install the guts from the LOD head into the butt end then use the Microstream clicky to turn it on and off....Any other ideas Iam not thinking of?
Matt
orig.jpg

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Well thats awesome! But I wonder why the stainless version does not have the same threads as the black version LOD? The male and female threads must be switched on the two models? Thats awesome though now I can make what I want with all black parts.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Microstream is three pieces - head, body and tail. The body has the same threads on both ends.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thats awesome! But I wonder why the stainless version does not have the same threads as the black version LOD? The male and female threads must be switched on the two models? Thats awesome though now I can make what I want with all black parts.

No, the threads are all the same.

The Microstream is made of 3 pieces -- the tailcap, the battery tubve, and the head. The battery tube has the same male threads on both ends (although the length of thread is different), but the head is loctited on, so it can be a little tough to get loose. Heating the joint with a butane torch or by boiling it in a baggie can help, along with an array of strap wrenches and equivalents -- read through the thread Marduke linked for how various people have done it.

BTW, the E01and various DX lights have the same threads, too; there's a huge array of lego possibilities here. For example, if you love twisties, but want a Streamlight Stylus equivalent, you can replace the tailcap on your Microstream with an E01. I'd actually rather put a clicky on my E01, but it's just an example. Although the E01 head does screw into the Microstream tailcap... maybe a coin-cell hybrid would work. ;)

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I read the post linked above, now I see how it works.The seam was so tight and clean on mine I could not tell it was two pieces even looking down the tube on the inside. I use real hot water, soaked it for a few seconds and then some thick rubber kitchen gloves for grip. This works awesome, its how I take apart all my sealed lights, works on SF heads too.
Matt

Last edited:

exodus125

Enlightened
I have an LD01 and was told it work work with a streamlight, I went through the trouble of removing the head on the streamlight and it works with the LD01, but the streamlight head wont work with the streamlight body. I ended up keeping it as is, the little streamlight works god on its own anyways.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have an LD01 and was told it work work with a streamlight, I went through the trouble of removing the head on the streamlight and it works with the LD01, but the streamlight head wont work with the streamlight body. I ended up keeping it as is, the little streamlight works god on its own anyways.

You mean the Steamlight head won't work on the LD01 body?

That's because the length is too long and the body is too short to contact the negative contact on the PCB. You can do one of two things:

1) Grind the SL head shorter

2) Use a conductive spacer, similar to the classic paperclip ring spacer. The correctly sized spit ring would also work.