Arc AAA runtime test - outgassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddP

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a new Arc AAA standard and have been carrying it in my pocket with the fresh battery that came with it. A few days ago I decided to do some run-time testing with it, so I took the well-used Duracell procell battery out of my pager and stuck it in, turned the flashlight on, and left it sitting on my desk at work. (Yes, I stuck a new battery in the pager). The flashlight ran at near-full brightness to maybe 1/2 brightness for several hours. At the end of the day I swapped the battery back to the fresh one for carry purposes. I've been doing this every day for several days and for the last couple of days when I stick the depleted battery in, the flashlight comes on at about 1/3 brightness, quickly dims to moon mode in about five minutes, then runs in moon mode for the rest of the day. Amazing.

This morning, about 10:00, I was working and heard a small popping noise. Looked over and the flashlight wasn't glowing. The battery had finally completely died, but I was curious about the noise. I picked it up and started to unscrew the head and it was very stiff and hard to turn. I got a bit more cautious and turned my face away and slowly finished unscrewing the head. When it was almost off, I heard a loud, very sharp pop and felt a small, sharp blast of gas on my fingers. Concerned now, I dumped the battery out, but it hadn't leaked and the inside of the flashlight was clean. The O-ring also appeared OK. I put the fresh battery in and it worked fine. The dead battery has a very small sliver of what appears to be insulation coming out of the negative end, but other than that appears normal.

In retrospect, this was kinda stupid. I know that alkalines outgass when they're nearly depleted and I know that the Arc AAA is sealed for water resistance.

Points learned:

1. Be careful when doing extended run-time testing with sealed flashlights.

2. The Arc AAA is very well sealed! I'd like to know what PSI was inside that thing. The popping noise when I removed the head was very loud and sharp! The guy in the office next to mine came in wanting to know what the noise was. It was interesting explaining it - I think he thinks I'm nuts now.

3. The Arc AAA can run a long time on a "dead" battery if the battery is allowed to "rest" for several hours between use so it can recover.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good points Todd. Alkalines... Tricky buggers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Btw, to be "intrinsically safe", no part of the exposed circuit can operate above 4 volts. Both the AAA and LS operate below 4 volts. Knowing this, I doubt the explosion you heard was caused by ignition but rather a gas bubble that built up inside the cell. Sometimes this bubble sprays nasty stuff on the inside of the flashlight. I am very glad to hear your flashlight is fine.

As far as pressure, we have taken these lights to 340 feet without leaking. They could operate deeper, but we didn't have the means to test them. At 340 feet, the pressure is ~148 PSI. Remembering what 30-40 PSI can do to a tire, this can provide some indication of the pressures involved.

Peter

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
peter, perhaps you should start advertising the arc AAA as a utility diving light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
I had the ArcAAA down to ~100 ft without leaking but unfortunately they are not bright enough to use as a backup. They're quite nice for checking the instruments though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

paulr

Flashaholic
I think dive lights have some kind of catalyst bead inside to absorb gas from the batteries. Maybe the Arcs should have that too.

ChrisA

Enlightened
Well, I guess it would be a nice touch, but it's not that critical. Since there's only one cell involved, you're not going have reverse polarity, which would be much more critical then ultra-low discharge. I think it's the reverse polarity that makes the alkalines go pop in seconds...

Chris

gyverpete

Enlightened
I think that removing the O-ring first might eliminate the pressure buildup and possible thread jamming during such a test. I'm going to run test mine to see what the moon-mode looks like.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I experienced the same thread jamming after doing a runtime test of sorts. I think the gases must accelerate the normal corrosion process. Regreasing fixed it and I've not had a reoccurance in normal use. I think "gyverpete" has the plan in removing the O-ring for such testing.

BigMac

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gyverpete said:
I think that removing the O-ring first might eliminate the pressure buildup...

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could drill a hole in the side! Any volunteers to test it out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Don't come near mine with that drill... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif)

ToddP

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
I experienced the same thread jamming after doing a runtime test of sorts. I think the gases must accelerate the normal corrosion process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see any corrosion in my test. I'm pretty sure that in my case, the internal pressure tried to push the O-ring out, which resulted in the O-ring being jammed against the inside of the body, thus making it hard to turn. When I screwed the head back on right after releasing the pressure, everything was normal and the head turned easily.

gyverpete

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BigMac said:

Or you could drill a hole in the side! Any volunteers to test it out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Don't come near mine with that drill... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Perish the thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.