Newbie needs a torch

Tricky

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I have lurked for a while and now have a question. I need to upgrade my Mini-mag LED. I am thinking of either a 1AA Nitecore NDI preferably with 14500 batteries or a 2AA Fenix L2d/LD20 with alkalines (or preferably Eneloops). I understand that either will have more output and throw than the Mini-mag, but at what percentage of total output would they be comparable to the mag? This will give me a better idea of how much better either new torch will be. It will be used for EDC, walking to the local bar, taking the dog out on a lead at night and general torchy things. I like the idea of variable output but want to improve on the output and throw of the Mag when required. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tricky.

sjalbrec

Newly Enlightened
i'm new here too but have been doing a lot of reading and just bought a nitecore defender infinity.

check this review of 2xAA lights to see some beam shot comparisons to the minimag: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890

this reviewer has four threads on reviews of 1xAA lights.

the ndi is a great light and actually makes my 3D maglite look really bad.

good luck!

...long stretch of night,
really shook this shaky mind...

325addict

Enlightened
Well... why take such a long (2AA) light as an EDC? I personally would prefer a one AAA light (the better ones from Fenix are OK) or maybe even a 1-cell CR123A light (again, Fenix, this time a P1D) or a SureFire E1e. The E1e can be run on RCR123s using a Lumens Factory bulb!

Regarding the comparison: I just compared a brand new Maglite 2AA with fresh Ni-MHs to the Fenix P1D, lowest setting. Only THEN they are comparable. Any higher setting of the Fenix (it has still two higher modes than low) will outshine the Mag completely. In the HIGH-setting the Mag is blown away completely & entirely :whistle:
There is, however, a big difference in color of the light. It's up to you what you prefer.
Runtime varies greatly with the Fenix P1D: when you don't complain the light output of your Mag 2AA is too low, the Fenix P1D will give you up to 21 hours(!) of light on LOW. This reduces to only 1 hour on full blast HIGH. But then, you have SOOO much light from that tiny flashlight, you simply won't believe it's possible. I am surprised STILL every time I turn it on on High....

Timmo.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
a single cell light wont give You much runtime, so the L2D / LD20 is the better choice.

real edc: get a Fenix E01 also

PS: as 325addict stated, You will not believe the difference a modern Led light will make to the MM

Gunner12

Flashaholic
MinimagLED? Like this?

According to that, it's around 35-40 lumen at 1200-1300 lux at 1 meter. The 2 year old L2D gets 120 lumen (look around 70% brighter) and has around 3000 lux a 1 meter (smaller reflector, around 50% more throw). The LD20 and L2D-CE Q5 will have more throw and output.

If you buy from Fenix Store/4sevens, there's an 8% off coupon "CPF8".

:welcome:

bogeymachine

Newly Enlightened
consider the Romisen RC-N3 (type II is my preference)

great value and takes 2 AAs or r123

let's plug Brian at Shiningbeam.com while we're at it - great source for Romi...

btw, I have Fenix L2 also - great torch, different price point (Romi will save you about $20 US)

bogey out

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened
Fenix L2d/LD20 and Eneloops (w/ a good charger) is a great choice for all around light. Plus you can use alkaline or lithium AA's if you choose. May want to consider an E01 for the keychain.

Tricky

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advise. It looks like the L2D is the one to get. I will probably end up getting the NDI later too. Cheers, Tricky.