L2D CE v RC-N3 Q5 & RC-N3 Q5 II v LD01

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Questions as title:

I have 2 L2D CEs that I was going to use for biking, and will get at least another RC-N3 Q5. I'm wondering whether I should return one of the L2D CEs that I have?

Pros:
-Cheaper (~$10)
-Q5 Emitter
-More easily upgradeable

Cons:
-No lifetime warranty
-No multimode (I dont necessarily need 2 lights with multimode)

Just interested in seeing your opinion on this.

Second is EDC

I plan on getting an EDC which will probably not be used often. Mostly it'll supplement my lights while biking so I can have a light in a hurry if I need it. Also, if it is convenient, it might persuade me to not turn on the lights when I'm downstairs at night. Lastly, it'll mostly be used for coming home/going out at night.

For this I'm between a RC-N3 Q5 II and an LD01 at the moment. The RC-N3 will be carried in RC123 config.

Pros (RC-N3 v LD01):
-Cheaper
-Brighter

Cons:
-Size? How big is the RC N3?
-Build quality probably not as high as Fenix
-Reliability? Any chance of accdiental mode switching?
-Uses CR123 cells, since I doubt I'll be using it a lot, I won't invest in RCRs, I have eneloops at home that I can use with the light in 2AA configuration. I also have AAA eneloops for the LD01.
-No lifetime warranty

These are just what I'm looking at, any other suggestions for a reasonable price (around the range of what my prospects are) are also welcome. I also know I might hve had a lot of questions lately. Hopefully you guys can help a newbie out, but I apologize if my posts are too annoying.

Relative: Both have clips that can clip onto my pants, and can be mounted relatively quickly and securely to my light mounts should I run out of batteries on the go (unlikely)

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
"I have 2 L2D CEs that I was going to use for biking, and will get at least another RC-N3 Q5. I'm wondering whether I should return one of the L2D CEs that I have?"

You might want to think about getting an L1D body ($12.00 from Lighthound, or $23 with tailcap from 4Sevens), keeping the 2 L2Ds and using the LID for your and your EDC. The heads will interchange, and you'll save the money on the LD01, unless you just want it. I have and use both the LxD's and LD01, and they're both great lights. The LD01 is a twisty, tho, and that may or may not be an issue down the road, as it works a little differently than the clickie. Batteries for these lights are a non-issue. I use RayoVAc Hybrids in all my lights, AA and AAA. They last forever when charged, and you can run the lights as bright or as dim as you choose. Almost free lumens, and no charging issues like with the CR123s They're cheaper, too.

"I plan on getting an EDC which will probably not be used often. Mostly it'll supplement my lights while biking so I can have a light in a hurry if I need it. Also, if it is convenient, it might persuade me to not turn on the lights when I'm downstairs at night. Lastly, it'll mostly be used for coming home/going out at night."

The LD01 or the L1D mentioned above would make a fine light for this purpose. You might also consider the E01. It too, is a twisty that uses a single AAA. The E01 is a simple, extremely tough, very efficient light that is about the size of the LD01, runs 8 to 10 hours on a single AAA, puts out ten lumens, and is so light you hardly know you have it in your pocket. $15 or so at 4Sevens, and with the CPF8 discount, of course, it's about $12 and comes with the infamous, best in the business, 4Sevens warranty. It's a hard combination to beat.

These are just some thoughts. All these lights work very well for me, but, as always, your mileage may vary! Good luck on your search! :wave: