MTE P7-D how to disassemble?

Sponge

Newly Enlightened
I have received this lamp from DX, it works like a SMD led from cellphone :faint:
DX want to send it back, but I think that is too expensive. So I want to open head but I can't. Probably it is glued. Is someone have such problem and how do you open that damn cap? I'm afraid to open it with two wrench, don't want to ruin the lamp :sssh:
And when I finally open it, what to expect? Does anyone have similar problem? lamp sometimes flicker, like is gonna to light bright. tried to short cell and housing, same thing. I presume something is wrong with a driver or contacts between driver and housing.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_16092_4.jpg

If its that tight , wrap some cloth around it or something like rubber gloves to give better grip ..

If your talking about the pill , apply a little heat to expand the body of the flashlight , and it should unscrew ..

If you need to reach for multi grips , wrap electrical tape around the pill to protect it , or some sheet/strip of lead , if you have it .

Sponge

Newly Enlightened

I saw that picture before order a lamp. And thinking about easy disassembling :crazy:

If its that tight , wrap some cloth around it or something like rubber gloves to give better grip ..
I have tried with two wrench and it doesen't move. I'm afraid to pull harder, what if it's not a thread but some kind of bolt?

If your talking about the pill , apply a little heat to expand the body of the flashlight , and it should unscrew ..
So, if I open the head, I'll have to deal with removing the pill...nice :mecry:

If you need to reach for multi grips , wrap electrical tape around the pill to protect it , or some sheet/strip of lead , if you have it .
ok, thanks for that advice

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that picture before order a lamp. And thinking about easy disassembling :crazy:

I have tried with two wrench and it doesen't move. I'm afraid to pull harder, what if it's not a thread but some kind of bolt?

So, if I open the head, I'll have to deal with removing the pill...nice :mecry:

ok, thanks for that advice

Ok sounds like GLUE !!! :faint:

If it wont come apart :confused: ... Again , I can only imagine its been glued

And Oh Snap , I ordered one ... :banghead:

Oh geez !

Sponge

Newly Enlightened
Ok sounds like GLUE !!! :faint:

If it wont come apart :confused: ... Again , I can only imagine its been glued

it can have not screw threads but (I don't know how it's called) vertical tooths on body and same, but in negative, tooths on cap. so you can only pull it apart, not revolving. if you revolve, all tooths will broke :ohgeez:
this type of connecting is used to connecting two axles

And Oh Snap , I ordered one ... :banghead:
:goodjob: NOT!
Oh geez !
there is a lot of those lamp in Croatia, nobody have such problem. :whistle:

Flucero28

Enlightened
Sponge, I have worked on two similar flashlights p7-c's. The head is definitely glued to the body, however I have been able to access the pill by unscrewing the front bezel, removing the glass lens, and then removing the reflector. You will then need a pointed tool such as a small ice pick, to tighten/loosen the pill from the body. Try tightening it first, flickering can often be caused by the pill not being properly tightened into the body, and can be an easy fix. Just be very careful not to destroy the emitter. Hope this helps.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Naa , its screwed ... Anything else would just add cost !

I would say Add Heat , but too much heat may kill the driver / cree / melt stuff ...

+ It needs to be assembled .. Id say some how its gotten glued shut .

Sponge

Newly Enlightened
Sponge, I have worked on two similar flashlights p7-c's. The head is definitely glued to the body, however I have been able to access the pill by unscrewing the front bezel, removing the glass lens, and then removing the reflector. You will then need a pointed tool such as a small ice pick, to tighten/loosen the pill from the body. Try tightening it first, flickering can often be caused by the pill not being properly tightened into the body, and can be an easy fix. Just be very careful not to destroy the emitter. Hope this helps.

So, I just need to open front bezel, remove glass and reflector, remove emitter and tried to revolve and unscrew the pill? don't need to push/pull it?

Sponge

Newly Enlightened
I have removed pill, like Fluocero28 told me. Open front bezel, remove glass, gasket, reflector, unsolder emitter, than unscrew pill with a scissors :candle:. Desolder driver and remove it from the pill. I didn't repair it yet, dont' have time and will for today :eek:.
But, in meantime, a guy form MTE factory, mr.Liu reply to my mail. I have asked them to send me a driver and how to dissasemble the torch. He tell me that all MTE product have lifetime warranty on their genuine products, except LED. Also told me that they don't sell their products to DX and send me some pictures of genuine MTE P7 and those from DX. Obviusly, I (and a lot of others) bought a lousy copy of MTE products on DX. He also send me a copy of other DX buyers mail (they all want spare parts from MTE) and here is a part of it:

I regret to say that the light you have is not a genuine MTE product. The design of the reflector and the LED assembly is different from our genuine product.

The exact diameter of our lens is 32.3mm, which is slightly smaller than the one you have and regretfully not suitable for your torch.
-----------------------
We regret that we are not able to help to service your torch as the technical design is different. Should you be interested, we can sell our torches to you directly.

We will post the situation on Candle Power Forums shortly to inform flashlight enthusiasts of the situation. The forums is located at http://www.candlepowerforums.com and feel free to share your story to prevent others from falling prey as well.

As we are a Singapore company, the legal action we can take against them is limited. Hence, the best action we can take now is to spread the word to alert others of the situation so that no one else will get cheated.

DealExtreme is not one of our distributors.

If you need any further help or support, feel free to contact us. We are very grateful to you for alerting us to this situation. As you mentioned, low quality imitations like this hurt our brand and hurt our valued customers and we do not wish to see anyone else being cheated. So, thank you.

--------------------------

And here are some pictures:

This is pictures I have received from MTE:
Comparison1.jpg

Comparison2.jpg

PackagedP7.jpg

And this is lamp I have received from DX:
IMG_3179_resize.jpg

IMG_3180_resize.jpg

This is lens, note that you can't buy spare an DX or MTE, if lamp is original then lens will be free of charge sent to you:
IMG_3177_resize.jpg

This is driver, not very complicated. Changing the IC with some IC from DX drivers will result in different modes:
IMG_3191_resize.jpg

This is tail cap, notice similarity with upper pictures:
IMG_3183_resize.jpg

So, if you are considering buying this lamp, better consider to buy a original, I don't know where. Also note that original lamp work on two CR123 batteries, so it have a constant PWM regulation

nikleb

Newly Enlightened
Did you ever fix your MTE? If so what board did you replace it with?

I can't seem to figure out what's going on with mine. I may have burnt out the board when I tested the RCR123 in it.

Thanks.

Sponge

Newly Enlightened
I have fixed it, but I don't know how. When I assemble it, it worked all right! I presume it loosing contact between tailcap and boy or pill and body.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Thats not a new story that the mte lights from dx are only copies. i also bought 2 from mteccd.com, there are pretty good. And i also had some mails with Mr. Liu about genuine MTE's and DX.

@nikleb: wait till shiningbeam gets new 3-mode 2.8A P7/MC-E Drivers and put one of those in. At the moment they're out of stock.

nikleb

Newly Enlightened
Thats not a new story that the mte lights from dx are only copies. i also bought 2 from mteccd.com, there are pretty good. And i also had some mails with Mr. Liu about genuine MTE's and DX.

@nikleb: wait till shiningbeam gets new 3-mode 2.8A P7/MC-E Drivers and put one of those in. At the moment they're out of stock.

Thanks! They just got them in stock. :wave:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually , the MTE driver is fantastic ...
I swapped a C***i bin LED into mine and used the MTE driver and it runs fantastic , I have measured over 3A with some batteries .

My light has run ?? hours on High testing 18650's , and no sign of failure .
If you can DIY , this is a great light ...

I think swapping drivers may be a mistake ...
A C/D***i bin P7 might be better .