Another Shortwave

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Went to a closeout/discount store (Tuesday Morning) today to get a couple wine glasses and what do I find but a little AM/FM/SW dynamo, battery emergency radio with LED light, siren, and cell phone charging for $20. I've seen this under various names (Grundig, Eton, and now Lextronix) over the years, usually selling for $40. Never saw one with a black rubberized case before. Of course, I couldn't resist once again.

DSC04902.jpg

It actually does quite well on AM and SW. FM not so good (bad selectivity). Tuning works well since it has both coarse and fine adjustment knobs. Kind of neat that it uses a normal looking cordless phone 3.6v battery pack and also works with 3AA's. As I expected it doesn't have an adapter for my cell phone, but I think there's one to fit my wife's.

Like flashlights, a man can't have enough radios. :shakehead

Geoff

Radiophile

Enlightened
Like flashlights, a man can't have enough radios. :shakehead

Geoff

I don't know, I'm getting pretty close!

Man, I never see interesting radio stuff at Tuesday Morning. It looks slightly different from the Grundig FR200 which doesn't have an LED light or cellphone charger. It's got more shortwave bands - 7 vs 2. That should make tuning less touchy. I like the rubberized case. Did it come with a carrying bag like the FR200 does?

I wish they'd make a version of this radio with a weather band and SAME alert function. A larger rechargeable battery would be nice too.

Jeff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This radio did come with a case. After playing with it some I've found the FM to not be as bad as first thought. It just takes more playing with the antenna than should be necessary. There is a version with weather bands and TV bands instead of SW. Just saw it at Home Depot, along side the flashlights.

Geoff