TK11 R2. spring is not centered! w/ pics. and makes noise on turbo

unique

Enlightened
I just got my TK11 R2 and I noticed that the spring on the tailcap is not centered. The light still works but it bugs me out that its an expensive light and the spring is not even centred. What to do? Can I fix it myself? :(

Also it makes a whining noise on turbo mode. I see other people have had the problem but only two others. Did I get a completely defective light? :confused::awman:

0001617.jpg

0001618.jpg

0001619.jpg

Last edited:

unique

Enlightened
Thanks. Just looking for reassurance I guess. It might not be a high end light but with a budget like mine it certainly seems like it!
So far on this board about 2 people I found only have that humming noise. Maybe if other r2 owners with cr123 batteries listen if theres has the same noise emitting? (I did order AW 18650, so hopefully that will do something)

Oh by the way, I unscrewed the tailcap and the reason its not centered is because the solder is UNDER the spring and not the side of it. ;\

polkiuj

Enlightened
The hum comes from the electrical circuit.

My LD10 hums (softly, needs to be held at ears to hear) on high. I went back to the shop and we tested all the L1/L2/P2 light heads and found that they ALL hummed. =(

If it's loud i think you should return it. If soft then ignore it.

My spring is also a bit off centered. I just bend it till it became straight. :(

unique

Enlightened
Hmmm, if its "normal" I won't care at all. Since inspecting the spring it looks like no harm is done at all.
I don't think you bending the spring was a good idea. Because the solder is actually UNDER the spring instead of them soldering the side of the spring!

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I suppose you could pull out ye olde soldering iron, melt the solder and re-centre it. As for the hum, as polkiuj said, it's from the circuit, specifically the inductor.

unique

Enlightened
Okay thanks. Just as long as its nothing to worry about.
Its 11pm here so I compared the TK10 and TK11, TK11 throws way more!
Big difference from the TK10. But in the end they still both have there own pros and cons.
But I'll be making the TK11 r2 my EDC now! :)

davidt

Enlightened
Don't worry mine hums on high also. But I can barely hear it even if I hold it right next to my ear.

tango44

Enlightened
Okay thanks. Just as long as its nothing to worry about.
Its 11pm here so I compared the TK10 and TK11, TK11 throws way more!
Big difference from the TK10. But in the end they still both have there own pros and cons.
But I'll be making the TK11 r2 my EDC now! :)

What are the main differences between the TK10 and TK11?

James Hamon

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the hum thats is the reason why i dont buy fenix al that often.I love em but the hum in my l2d annoys the hell out of me.Great company other than that.

unique

Enlightened
What are the main differences between the TK10 and TK11?
The throw is the biggest difference. Very VERY noticeable difference in throw. With the TK10 the hot spot gets 'lost' I guess you can say and it just turns into one big floody light.
With the TK11 r2 I saw a big difference in throw where it would light up a tree at least 100 metres away where as the TK10 could not.

Paul520

Newly Enlightened
My fenix had that. Just bend the spring the other way to straighten it.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had two SF tailcaps with off center springs
Cant say it really bothers me that much :D

Marduke

Flashaholic
Can we officially add "off center springs" to the list of ridiculous issues to complain about?

I personally think it belongs right between "Why do I have to lube the o-rings? As much as it cost, shouldn't it be maintenance free for at least 5 years or so?" and "My box arrived slightly crushed. This affected the light in no way, but shouldn't it have been packed better?"