What light for camping

jankj

Enlightened
What would be better a LD20 or the soon to be released TK40? Im going camping in about 3 weeks and dont want to leave it till last minute.

Unless you have to scan large area for bears and Swedish backpackers, doing SAR mission or a similar task where you have a very specific need for absurd amounts of light, you seriously won't be needing something like the TK40. Ever. What you want is a totally different story. :thumbsup:
(It is debatable wether impressing yourself and friends with a WOW light is a need or not).

I have the previos version of the LD20 (the L2D), and can testify that it is a very nice, versatile light that will run for a very long time with plenty of light (low/medium mode). Although it's not a thrower, you can use the "turbo" mode to see quite some distance. (But do run it on LSD nihm, such as sanyo eneloop - the performance is really much better).

What you definitively need for camping is a headlamp - and it does not need to be powerful at all. You need a nice light for seeing your hands, feet and the ground just in front of you - and too much light will just blind you at these ranges. Any nice, small headlamp will do. My current favorite would be something from the zebralight family, but basically any cheap 3*AAA lamp will do the job for a much lower price. Or nick over to the headlamp section and read some reviews.

Egsise

Banned
I would say try the Fenix TK20, the neutral white led is great outdoors.
Also you should have a backup, 1xCR123 or 1xAA flaslight with a low output would be good, perhaps a headlamp?
Which ever you buy, get a diffuser for it, it's just a few bucks and possibility to use your flashlight as a lantern is nice.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
What would be better a LD20 or the soon to be released TK40? Im going camping in about 3 weeks and dont want to leave it till last minute.

Very little would be better then what you got.Well maybe an hds:D But your LD20 should be perfect for what you need.Real long run time on the lower settings and a nice high to check out the whole camp site.You wont need a lot of light in the woods at night and a dozen spare AA wont take up any room at all.If i were you i would take some energizer 91 lithium batteries.Longer runtime less weight.

electric sheep

Enlightened
Petzl XP modded with P4. It has a great red filter that slides across giving a wonderful night vision low for reading ect. Hands free and modded gives a good spot of 100 lumen's. On AAA rechargables it lasts days

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gone on numerous camping trips with my boy scout troop, and have really found that the less output something has, the more you will use it. I don't have any multimode flashlights, but dim lights (as in >10 lumen) that have long runtimes are the perfect companion.
When I go camping, I take my Princeton tec Aurora (headlamp) and a river rock (aka: Nuwai) 1/2 watt LED flashlight. A floody headlamp with a low mode is usually all that I need.
Also, when your eyes fully adjust to the dark, you only need very limited amounts of light to see very clearly, any brighter, and you can hurt your night vision. Most of the time, if I'm out in the middle of the woods, I like to use my photon microlight, and I can see very well. It would be impressive, tho, to be able to light up your entire campsite with the TK40:drool:, just sayin. (Tho you will really need to pack some extra batteries, the TK40 uses 8 AA's. Pretty heavy, especially if you have to carry it long distances.)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Like everyone's said, dimmer will serve you better. If you don't want a headlamp at least get a E01 for camp chores. Easy to "mouth hold" for when you need two hands. Go ahead and get a big thrower, too, just for fun.

Geoff

fenixflashaholic0537

Newly Enlightened
It kind of depends. If your going backpacking then you should bring the LD20, to conserve space. I overall woudn't bring the tk40. It's just way to bulky for me.

Centropolis

Enlightened

I've gone camping with pretty much all of my flashlights before across multiple trips. I would say in gerneral you wouldn't need too bright of a light walking around the campsite. But if you want to take a walk to the trails or something, I would use something brighter because I feel more comfortable being able to see farther and more in front of me.

Therefore, I would say getting a multi-mode flashlight with decent runtime would be the way to go. Like a LD10 or LD20.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Honestly any light will do but i find a floody light is best around the campsite.
On the trail i like lots of light and throw,don't like surprises.
Remember in the pitched black woods a little AAA light looks like a powerhouse.
My first flashlight was the SF G2L,when i took that thing camping i thought it was the brightest thing around and it turned alot of heads.
Now it seems like a toy to me,if people were impressed with 80 lumens wait till they see my P7 modded L4 when i go camping this summer.:devil:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The LD20 should be more then enough for a normal trip. I'd bring along a dedicated thrower if I think I'll need it.

The Low of the LD20 is too high for the times when your eyes are adapted to the darkness. I'd opt for something that can go even lower.

jankj

Enlightened
The LD20 should be more then enough for a normal trip. I'd bring along a dedicated thrower if I think I'll need it.

The Low of the LD20 is too high for the times when your eyes are adapted to the darkness. I'd opt for something that can go even lower.

I totally agree! My current backpacking / camping setup is fenix L1D or L2D (depending on circumstances, weight considerations and whatever I fancy at the moment) and a zebralight H50. A dedicated thrower? Too heavy and too little actual use.

pec50

Enlightened
I would also recommend a headlamp as it serves well for hands free activities and any night hikes. Consider the Princeton Tec EOS as it is relatively waterproof and will provide a good blend of throw and spill. If you get the bike version of the EOS, you are provided with a headband and clip/velcro bands that have permitted me to wear the light on a backpack strap. Also consider a Fenix E01 with a clip as a backup. Both use easy to find AAA so you have the option of interchange and less weight if backpacking. I have been able to eke out about two weeks of battery life.

If you insist upon a handhand light, then consider getting a headband for holding the light. Along with others mentioned, the Proton Pro is a viable option as it provides completely adjustable lighting level and red led; both good for preserving night vision and battery life. The Photon Freedom, a good backup, has the same user interface for adjustable level and you can wear it around your neck or use the clip to mount it.

litework

Newly Enlightened

What kind of camping are you doing? Are you driving to campsite and pitching a tent or will a lengthy hike be involved?

AvPD

Enlightened
Having just recently done a lot of camping, I find that a LED lantern, headlamp and compact 18650 torch have me covered.

You could almost eliminate the need for a lantern and torch with a bright long-lasting headlamp like a Zebralight (which I do not own).

My lantern is a cheap 3xAAA torch with a Seoul LED, diffuser and running from an 18650, with no layers of glass between the LED and diffuser it's got a good power to ambient light ratio.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK40 is for impressing (when You have it with You. Imho too large/heavy, too much cells needed)
smaller handheld multistage light for overall (2*AA or 1*18650)
headlamp for anything that requires You to have Your hands free
E01 for a light that rides on You unnoticed at any time

for handheld and headlamp decide for Yourself if powered by AAs or 18650.
My choice were 18650 and thus:
handheld: Jetbeam (maybe Fenix) or something similar,
headlamp: zebralight

wadus

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like I really need to pick up a headlight or two! They're getting a lot of love in this thread and camping is one of the main reasons I needed a light.