ZebraLight H30 Q5 as EDC

BobCol

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys
I´ve never paid much attention for headlamps. I always thought they were clumsy and only good for very specifc applications until I came across the site from ZL and saw the H30 Q5 and read a excellent review from WadeF (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194427) which changed my mind completly. Its size, the amount of light it spreads, the clip arrangement which allows you to wear it on the belt, on the shirt pocket, or across the shirt button for free hands operation, got me so excited that I´ve ordered one from 4Sevens on the spot. Now that I have done that out of sheer excitment and without reasoning (this is something I hate), little doubts are starting to cross my mind: will it suit the needs for an EDC? Is the lack of a hotspot a problem in EDCing or the amount of light it puts out compensates for that? Is it OK for a keychain? etc.
I would really appreciate to have a few comments from people who have some experience in EDCing it.

Thank you all
Bob

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple thoughts on the H30. It is all flood. When it uses up a battery it just goes off suddenly. But if you turn it off and back on to a lower level you'll usually still have some light. It's really only good for close up work but on high it lights up enough distance to be useable for walking - however runtime isn't very long on high. You probably won't find anything smaller in a CR123 format and it could be put on a keychain. I think you might have some trouble with it getting clicked on accidentally though. I wouldn't personally use it as my only EDC. They are nice but I've had quality issues and both mine have the problem of not coming on after a battery changeout. That can usually be solved by holding down the button while putting the tailcap back on. This may have been resolved with the newer ones. I'm sure you'll like the H30 but I couldn't have one as my only or primary EDC. Anything at a distance will be underlit.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started carrying my H30 as an EDC, but have already taken to leaving it in my bag, or a cupholder in my truck when not at work. The hole for the split ring is so small that the rings that fit it aren't very strong, and I wouldn't trust them for keychain carry. Mine got stretched out a little from a tug "just to see".
For daytime use anywhere with ambient light, I don't see much use for it, but I work night shift, and have been wearing it around my neck with the lanyard from a CMG Ultra-G, and with the belt clip installed. Don't want to screw up the headband wearing it on a hardhat with all the nasty stuff and chemicals I work around(want to be able to put my headlamp on my head, after all!). It's much better than the Streamlight Septor that I do put on the hardhat sometimes.
I wear it under my t-shirt, and in use clip it to either the shirt pocket, or between the snaps of a work jacket if wearing one. It's great when working with both hands in the dark, and just walking around between lit areas.
I don't really use it that much at work, though, just wanted to try the new toy. This week it's back on its headband.
Been using it around the house for reading, cleaning out an unlit storage closet under the stairs, going through my tool cabinet, stuff like that.
Got to work real early the other night, and sat in my truck reading with it for an hour. I like the dark, work in the dark, and keep the house as dark as possible, so it comes in handy. I use it on low a lot more than I thought I would, while rarely using the high mode. Even though it's not technically an EDC, I do use it more than anything except my EDC and work lights.
I carry it most everywhere in a "watch taco" from Countycomm that fits in a jacket pocket, side zipper pocket on a Maxpedition Fatboy, and anywhere in my gear bag, or truck console.
dscn3805.jpg

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love to use my h30 as a keychain light :)

Picture%20006.jpg

You can use the pocket clip as a "anti key scratching up your light device" when driving your car. Just twist it so the steel clip gets the beating.
Picture%20016.jpg