D10 as a headlight, dirty and efficient howto

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
Here is a simple idea I had to use the D10 or any AA size flashlight as a headlight.
I simply took a length of bike air chamber, enough to wrap around half my head.

Then I used the little plastics locks (dont know how it's called) that are used to fasten
waist bags for example, and I sewed both parts to the air chamber.

I cut another bit of air chamber into a square and sewed it around the headband. A little
bit of foam is used to create a more sticky and adhesive surface.

A picture to give you the idea:
headbande.jpg

Please note that I tested it at a night mountain bike event, 25km of dirt, rocks, wood paths...
This setup was absolutely perfect for me, stayed in place during the most difficult times.
I had it fastened around my hat, it was almost like I don't even felt it. I guess rain/water could be
an issue with the plastic part turning slippy.

The Flashaholic's sweet moment: the guys who organised the event told me I had the "best equipment they had seen this night"
(L2D + E20 for mid and "long" range general illumination on the handlebars, and D10 for comfortable sight)
That's true, people on 2500$+ bikes only have dim multi led lights.

To moderators:
I thinked a little trying to determine whether this thread belonged more to the headlights or the led flashlights subforum.
Since it's more a led light custom than a true headlight, i posted it here.

Last edited:

Phill

Newly Enlightened
Duct tape and your bike helmet would be my personal choice :D

litetube

Enlightened
They don't wear helmets in France Phill!!:green:

I like the idea though if the whole tube could be utilized then if you get a flat all you have to do is reach up and retrieve a spare tube.

Did you use a Presta or Schrader valved tube? I would thing the Presta would be a bit of a risk in the event of a crash it would be like a needle in your head:sick:

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
Did you use a Presta or Schrader valved tube? I would thing the Presta would be a bit of a risk in the event of a crash it would be like a needle in your head:sick:
I don't use the part with the valve. :thumbsup:

They have a commercial version

http://www.niteize.com/info/images/headband_combo.jpg

been out for years :p
Don't you see how elegant and fashionable my model is ? :nana:
Seriously, this one can me made within 2 hours of work while watching tv, and I'm quite confident that mine is easier to wear (no sharp edges), more secure (lock instead of scratchy surface)
There's only this light plastic-gum smell...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no helmet fanatic, but mtn biking at night without one seems risky.

Anyways back on topic. I have tried such approaches and found getting the tilt just right can have a huge affect on beam usability. So much so that a light that is 50% dimmer can work better than a misaligned light that is twice as bright. Therefore I find a headlamp that pivots works better.

But.... Use what ya got and enjoy it. My first Night MTB rides back in early 90s' were done with 2 el cheapo cateye halogens on my bars and a Minimag taped to my helmet. (less than 30lm total) Loads of fun!

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
I like the idea though if the whole tube could be utilized then if you get a flat all you have to do is reach up and retrieve a spare tube.
But wouldn't you need the headlight to change the tube?

Thats probably the most un-breathable headband I've ever seen

Wade

Newly Enlightened
A job well done! its fun to make something and have it work out, and then keep improving on it. Thanks for sharing your handywork.
W.

litetube

Enlightened
Just to say, I think it is cool and innovative.

I was just yanking your chain Maurice:nana:

Same as Wade said, keep thinking!!:thumbsup:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work, and thank you for showing us your creation. I have a Niteize band that I have been using a lot recently, with a Fenix L2D, to see imperfections in a drywall ceiling - and while it's good, it needs some elastic to keep it in place better. As cave dave mentioned, the angle the light is set at is important, and your headband would be much better than the Niteize because with the elastic you could set it at different angles. I'm going to sew in a section of bike tube into my Niteize to improve it - thanks for the idea.

Welcome to cpf.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sure beats putting the flashlight in your mouth!
I use Rip ties which are velcro straps which I zip tie the light to. Then I velcro the bands through helmet vents and I'm done. Another quick and dirty is to use a small piece of bike inner tube around the center of the body of the light and use a large rubber o-ring to hold it in place on the helmet.
Another idea along the line of yours is to use bike chain, that would have a really lethal look. :)

wadus

Newly Enlightened
I like your ingenuity! I'm glad you got compliments on it too; it shows it's not always the best to have a mass-produced, "pretty" piece of equipment that may not suit your specific needs. :twothumbs

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea!!! My D10 is quicky becoming one of my favorite lights for sure!!