RA CE VERSUS SF E1B

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I am looking real hard at the RA Clicky Executive and the Surefire Backup. After reading a recent review on a silver Backup I almost went out and bought it. But the RA Clicky caught my eye. Their both about the same price and the Clicky has more Lumes and what I think I like, a better range of lumes.

I have owed a SF Z2 for a few years now so I know the construction and longivity of SF is pretty darn good. Plus, there is a lot to be said for the basic hi/ low beam UI. The 80 lumes is probably more then stated or need. So I guess my addiction is not at the level where higher lume numbers alone will get me through the night. But I do like to see at night.

Anybody own both of these or one of them that can provide feedback to assist me in making my decision? I'm looking for a tough, dependable single fire 123A battery to carry around. I have read the RA warranty is as good as the SF, but I don't know that for a fact.

I do like the idea of being able to use rechargeble batteries, so the RA does have a plus there. However, I have experienced the SF quality and I like that as well, so there is a plus for the Backup. I do not have a good feel for the size nor how they would carry on my belt (I use a holster, no pocket carry for me). Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
They complement each other very nicely. The optic in the Surefire shoots most of the underrated 80 lumens way down-range and produces a nice size beam at a longer distance.

The floodier beam of the Ra and the multiple levels makes it a better general purpose light in my opinion but the E1B does a great job of complementing it.

The quality of Ra lights are top notch!

m16a

Enlightened
They complement each other very nicely. The optic in the Surefire shoots most of the underrated 80 lumens way down-range and produces a nice size beam at a longer distance.

The floodier beam of the Ra and the multiple levels makes it a better general purpose light in my opinion but the E1B does a great job of complementing it.

The quality of Ra lights are top notch!

I'd say Ra quality is as good or better than Surefire IMHO.

bigfoot

Enlightened
I have both the Ra EDC Executive and the SF E1B. Both are great lights, you can't go wrong either way!

If I had to purchase one only, I'd go with the EDC Exec. :thumbsup:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I think the Ra is the more well-rounded light. Because of it's beam profile and user interface, it makes for a better EDC. The E1B would compliment the Clicky nicely, as it has a much throwier beam.

Both lights are top notch when it comes to build quality and customer service. :thumbsup:

beach honda

Enlightened
When i carry my e1b, its part of a two flashlight combo. I use it as my pocket thrower combined with the Ti PD-S for general purpose. When i carry my ra clicky tactical, its more my all purpose jack of all tradesish light, but i still carry the e1b with it for extra throw.

get both is what im trying to say

and get the Ti McClicky pak for the backup. it rox my sox

Last edited:

DucS2R

Enlightened
I have the Surefire E1B and the RA EDC Tactical. I bought the Surefire first and it is a great light. No questions asked, it is a great light to carry for tactical purposes. I carry it often. But as a flashaholic, I absolutely love my RA EDC Tactical. I got to be at first confused and then to learn how to program it, then to try different programs, then be able to adapt it to my somewhat contrived daily uses and I love it. It is a great light, fun to use and well built.

If you want a simple great light with two settings get the Surefire. If you are a flashaholic and want a light that can be customized to your every whim, and want to spend countless hours playing with it while the world goes by, get the RA. I recommend the latter, or do like I did and buy both!

T.

The Sun

Enlightened
buy both, then sell the E1B when you get tired of it :D:thumbsup:

callmaster

Enlightened
Met a local SF dealer earlier today to get more SF123A batteries and he was trying to sell me a SF E1B. I didn't have a problem with the SF E1B cept for the updated prices (20% more?) but I showed him the 170Cn and I think he's gonna get one for himself. He had older E1Bs that had the older price but I didn't have enough cash on me.

Gave me a nice discount for the batteries though. So I'm a happy camper.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think getting both is legitimate. Nothing like comparing both in hand. You'd be able to sell which ever one you don't want. It's a hard choice because both have good things to offer. As others have said if you like a simple UI and excellent throw get the E1B and if you want a light to fiddle with and customize with more of a general purpose beam get the Ra. They are both of excellent quality.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I cannot believe I am having this much trouble deciding. Right now I am leaning towards the Backup with a the Z28 tail cap, I think that looks cool. But I really like the lower and higher sittings of the RA.

What are the best places to purchase either. A good deal may help me decide. Any known forum deals that I should look at? And thanks for the input, the RA folks are out in force so it must be a really good light.

wadus

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the Ra, even though I don't own a Clicky (yet), because the quality of my Twisty is just so superb and it really is a wonderfully designed light. I have heard nothing but great things about the Clicky as well. The E1B is, however, one of the few Surefires I would consider buying. It is a tough decision you have to make, but you can't go wrong either way.

I bought my Twisty from Batterystation. The EDC Executive is $99 while the Clicky Executive is $149 and each comes with 4 CR123 and reasonable shipping.

UniqueTitanium also carries the Ra lights and I've heard they're nice to deal with as well. This site offers free shipping but no batteries.

It comes down to wether or not you want batteries or free shipping, they're both worth about the same amount I would say.

You could also purchase it direct from Ra Lights and custom build your own. I don't know how much the shipping is from there, however, but if you want specific features on your light that may be your best bet.

As for the E1B, I have no idea where to get one of those for the best price, so I'll let the experts give you this one. Enjoy your new light, whatever that light is! :thumbsup:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the best places to purchase either. A good deal may help me decide. Any known forum deals that I should look at? And thanks for the input, the RA folks are out in force so it must be a really good light.

Check out the CPF marketplace - you can absolutely get an E1B for around $110 and you support the community here.

For the Ras, I'd recommend either:

www.batterystation.com

or

www.uniquetitanium.com

I have purchased Ras from both and they are greay guys to deal with!

Get both - you will love both of these lights!!! Variety is the spice of life ;)

Best,
-Harry

callmaster

Enlightened
I cannot believe I am having this much trouble deciding. Right now I am leaning towards the Backup with a the Z28 tail cap, I think that looks cool. But I really like the lower and higher sittings of the RA.

You could get a customised version from Ra's official site. Or the normal versions (executive/tactical and edc models) from the dealers listed in Ra's official site.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you going to be using the light? Do you prefer it to come on low or high first? Do you carry it using a pocket clip? What kind of beam do you want?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you located in the US?

There are still occasional Ra problems cropping up, Henry will fix them and the turnaround time has gotten much better, but international shipping and customs is a pain.

PS Buy Both!
Ra Clicky Executive wide beam
& Ra Tactical narrow beam
:devil:

BRO

Newly Enlightened
How are you going to be using the light? Do you prefer it to come on low or high first? Do you carry it using a pocket clip? What kind of beam do you want?

I plan on just every day carry. When ever it is dark I use it. I really do not plan on using it in a defensive nature. I am not a cop so I will not be looking for bad guys in empty warehouses. Coming on low is prefered but not really a buy stopper.

After reading more posts and looking deeper, I am now leaning towards the RA Clicky Exective as the one to get. I like them both (I think) but the possiblity of using rechargables has a strong pull and they both seem bullet proof. Not really a big thing to me (yet) to be playing with the software package. I think I like the plain old low, med and high thing more then the SOS type stuff. As far as UI is concerned, the Backup would do me ok. But I think I would like a little lower lumes for walking around my house at night. The narrow beam is more my type but when I hold a wide beam light I still enjoy it, so it's a toss there. But I guess I should look at the RA Clicky tactactical as well. I will decide by Monday, thanks for all your inputs thus far.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like the Clicky is more what you need. I have a Clicky Tactical with a flat tailcap and I have it programmed like the Clicky Executive. IMO the Ra will be better for you all around and using Li-Ions is a huge plus in terms of cost. I probably use up as much battery power playing as I do in actual use so using rechargeables saves me a lot of money.