SureFire Kroma vs Fenix TK10 - Rough Draft Part I

Tek3

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I know I told you all that I was going to make a comparison video between these two lights last weekend while camping but some things came up and I wasn't able to do it. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time this weekend to drive out to the woods to make it. I live in a city and if I want complete darkness (no street lamps, etc.) I have to drive about 40miles.

Anyways, I figured I could at least give you guys my thoughts on the two lights. This isn't going to be an in-depth review or anything. Just my personal opinions from using these lights.

Okay, so. The SureFire Kroma. This was the first of my tactical lights that I purchased prior to deploying to Iraq and I have to say, I love it. Being in the Military, the versatility of this light is just indispensable to me. It's a max of 50 Lumens on White High with a runtime of about 1.5hrs. It also has White Low (1.4 Lumens), Red Low (0.52 Lumens), Red High (6.3 Lumens), Blue Low (0.48 Lumens) and Blue High (6.3 Lumens).

Now, the White High on this light is just as bright as the TK10's general mode of 60 Lumens. The only difference that I could see is that the TK 10 throws farther than the Kroma. The White High was so bright out in the woods that I actually heard a boyscout that was camping around us say, "Holy poop look how bright that flash light is" when I turned it on. It completely dominated any Maglite or Rayovac flashlight they were using out there.

The other modes on the Kroma is VERY useful. Even though the White Low is only 1.4 Lumens, it's still just as bright as your typical "Wal-mart Flashlight" that you would pick up. It's perfect for normal use when an extremely bright light isn't needed. The High/Low red is also really good. With me being in the Military, we practice light discipline during Night Land Navigation and we typically use only Red lens. The Low setting on this light is bright enough for me to walk around my house with but it's not that good for outdoors. The High setting, however, is. That thing is pretty effing bright. I mean, it illuminates my entire bedroom wall and it's only 6.3 Lumens of Red light.

The Blue light settings are used for tracking. It does very well in spotting blood trails and it's very, very bright. The Low setting is really good for both indoor & outdoor use. The High Blue setting will illuminate my entire room! It's just incredible.

Another feature that I like with this SureFire Kroma is that you can use the White High setting in combination with the other modes. For instance, if you're using Blue High, you can activate White High by pressing the tail cap all the way in. This will give you a Blue flood light with a center beam of brillant white light. Although probably not practical, it does provide more light for your surroundings.

The Kroma has several features, all of which you can read about from their website. Let's see, what else. Oh! The tail cap is multifunctional. All you have to do is gently press it and the light comes on. There is a rotating switch towards the head of the light that you use to select which mode you want. If you press the tail cap in all the way, you get momentary White High. For constant light of your lower modes, you simply twist the tail cap alittle. For constant White High, twist the tail cap all the way and presto!

Final thoughts: The SureFire Kroma is an exceptional light. If you're in the Military or in Law Enforcement, I would HIGHLY recommend this light to you. The only downside that I can find is the $330 price tag. However, if you've got the money to spare, buy it. You will not be disappointed. Super bright, multifunctional, sexy tactical light!

Now, the TK 10. I bought this light solely on the video review by "nutnfancy" from YouTube.com. When I saw his review of this light with him standing out in the desert, turning it on, and turning "dark into day", I knew I had to have it. Lol. I ordered it the next day and within 4 business days, it was here!

My first impression of this light while unboxing it was, "Man, this is one sexy light!" It came with some accessories that let choose how I wanted to set it up and it had a good, strong, solid feel to it. They use the term "Build like a tank". Well, I'm a tanker and I wouldn't go as far as saying this light is built like one. Lol.

Anyways, I decided to go with the tactical ring but went ahead and attached the pocket clip just for S&Gs. I couldn't wait to get out to the woods to see what this baby could do! Let's just say, I was amazed!

Finally, dark had arrived that I was anxious to see how this $72 light compared to my $330 SureFire. I hit the switch and BAMB!!! 60 Lumesn of beautiful, white light was illuminating the woods around me. This light has the characteristics of both a spot and flood light. The whole area around the focused beam was illuminated enough to where I could see everything.

I twisted the head of the light to enter Turbo Mode and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was almost "too bright"--if there's even such a thing. I mean, guys, this light was illuminating everything for a good 40-50yds out. The light itself was throwing at least 150yds. But I'm talking about the flood effect. I could see everything! It was deffiently worth the $72 that I had spent.

Okay, so which do I prefer? Even though the Fenix TK-10 produces a more focused, bright beam, and throws farther than the SureFire Kroma, I'm going to have to pick the Kroma. As I said before, the versatility of this light is just unbeatable. With my profession, I need those extra colors. I need that low white setting for general usage. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't recommend the TK-10. For camping and hiking trips, I would pick the TK10 over the Kroma. It's brighter and with a 10hr battery life @ 60 Lumens, it makes an awesome Outdoormens light. But professionally, I'd go with the Kroma.

As I said before, this was just a rough draft, basically just thinking out loud. I intend on making a more detailed review along with some videos to give you guys an idea of just what I'm talking about.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Have you considered sharing some photos of the two flashlights to help support your journey?
Side-by-side photos when you're comparing the two side-by-side can help.

Al :)

Tek3

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered sharing some photos of the two flashlights to help support your journey?
Side-by-side photos when you're comparing the two side-by-side can help.

Al :)

Yea. I'm going to take some photos that will accompany the comparison video when I make it. It might take me a few days but I'll try and get this done ASAP.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear your thoughts! People like you are EXACTLY what the Kroma was designed for, and it's nice to hear that you appreciate it. Some people don't understand that it's really built for specific tasks, your profession being one of them.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.5 hrs @ 50lms vs 10hrs fenix 60 ..generally same light output why is the runtime so bad :confused:

ohhh its a lux3...put a seoul in it :)

Last edited:

Tek3

Newly Enlightened
Lol. I might consider that at some point. As of right now, I'm content with the 1.5hr run time. I've had the same SureFire batteries in it for about 2mths now and they're still going strong.

But yea, it's designed for a specific purpose but even if I weren't in the Military, if I had personally used the SureFire Kroma and had the money to spare, I would buy it. It's just an awesome light!

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
Basically if you're military, the Kroma would have a bit more purpose as apposed to the TK10?

Now in general every day use the TK10 wins out correct?

Mikey V

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure that comparing a Kroma with a TK-10 is a valid apples to apples comparision. One is a general purpose tactical light, the other is a highly specialized light for military (in its MilSpec version) and aviation (in regular civilian version) uses. As a pilot, I can tell you that the Kroma is the light I've dreamt of ever since my first night flight. Over the years I've had to make due with all manner of unsatifactory solutions. Crummy push-pull two color (red/white) penlights around the neck on a lanyard and a big two D cell flashlight with a similar push pull contraption on the front for red or white. (I think 2-D cell lights are still technically required by the FAR's for night flights, so it still sits in the flight bag taking up space and dead weight!) When LED's first came on the scene, I modified a mini-maglite with a jumbo bright red LED from Radio Shack, and it worked fairly well. But the Kroma...Wow! A pilot's dream flashlight. Power on high for the prefilight inspection, blue to look for hydraulic leaks and two levels of red for in-cockpit use to preserve night vision. The Perfect Aviator's Flashlight. Don't even know why they still make the one they actually call the Aviator. The Kroma blows it away as a pilot's light.