Kroma or U2A

Bruce B

Enlightened
In the next few months I will most likely be purchasing a new light to replace my G2LED. I was thinking of either the Kroma or the U2A.

Which light would be a better purchase at the moment?

:thanks:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Which light would be a better purchase at the moment?
...whichever suits your needs best!

They're obviously 2 different lights.
U2A - 6 levels, broad-ish beam, only white light
K2 - 3 colors of light (unless you go with the K2-M), but only 2 levels on each, tighter beam

Will you *ever* use the red or blue LED's?

I had a K2-M and sold it because I couldn't find a use for all the extra LED colors (believe me, I tried!). I kinda miss it for the geek factor, but the U2 does a whole lot more for me.

YMMV, of course.

bloke-gear.com

Newly Enlightened
I would go for the U2A too. I have both, but I just find the U2 more practical with more brightness settings on the main beam. As much as I hate to say it, my K2 hardly ever gets used.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Kroma because the multi-color LED never suited me. I do however love the U2. I purchased the older Luxeon U2 and loved it so much that I purchased the U2A as well.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
U2A hands down unless you need the other colors and then, of course, there is no contest.

I have 2 of the U2A's and I am thinking of getting more. I love the light, the U2 is one of the best lights of all time and it continues in that tradition as far as I am concerned.

Best UI built to date on any light that I have owned and no slouch in the output department either.

Bruce B

Enlightened
Would the Kroma be better, being that I am going to soon be studying Forensic Science in college. Or is the U2A still a better bet?

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kroma is a great light but it is built for more specific needs. I think the U2 or the newer U2A would be best for you.

You could always do what most flashaholics whish they could do: BUY BOTH!

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the Kroma be better, being that I am going to soon be studying Forensic Science in college. Or is the U2A still a better bet?

I'm not in the field, so I'm not sure. Do you guys use blue or red lights? If so, then Kroma might be a good choice. You could always buy both and see which one works better for you and return/sell the one that's not as useful

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on the U2A recommendation.

If you're really set on the features of the Kroma, check out the First-Light Tomahawk.

GreySave

Enlightened
I own both and I was also going to recommend the U2 because it is a better choice for most people who desire various levels of white light output. The Kroma is an excellent low output performer with a moderately powered (By today's standards) high white beam.

But once I saw your post about forensic science I had to check that. I would suggest speaking with someone in the field or currently taking the courses and obtain their opinion. If they indicate that the red and blue LEDs of the Kroma would be useful then that would be my choice. There are other multi-colored lights out there, but the Kroma provides an excellent and very even flood of colored light. No rings or artifacts to speak of unless you are VERY close to the surface you are illuminating. I doubt that its quality of light can be beaten.

auxcoastie

Newly Enlightened

Graduated with BS in Forensic Chemistry from Ohio U and have a AS in Admin of Justice, just so you know my scope.

Don't base your light choice on the forensic thing. Just because blue picks up blood doenst mean it will matter at a crime scene. Even though CSI uses ALS that looks blue I doubt the Kroma puts out the correct wavelength needed to flouresce luminol. And a defense lawyer would have a field day an untested method at the evidence hearing.

I think you will use the U2 much more in classes. THe variable light will be good when searching "crime scenes". It will be especially good when you do tire print, footprints etc because you can experiment what gives you the best contrast when taking pics.

Bruce B

Enlightened
Graduated with BS in Forensic Chemistry from Ohio U and have a AS in Admin of Justice, just so you know my scope.

Don't base your light choice on the forensic thing. Just because blue picks up blood doenst mean it will matter at a crime scene. Even though CSI uses ALS that looks blue I doubt the Kroma puts out the correct wavelength needed to flouresce luminol. And a defense lawyer would have a field day an untested method at the evidence hearing.

I think you will use the U2 much more in classes. THe variable light will be good when searching "crime scenes". It will be especially good when you do tire print, footprints etc because you can experiment what gives you the best contrast when taking pics.

Coastie,

That's just the response I needed to hear. That settles it. I am going to be purchasing a U2A rather than the Kroma as my next "BIG" purchase.

:thanks: Coastie, and everyone else for there helpful insight.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I EDC my U2 and nothing has been able to replace it yet. I need a red beam every now and then, so I bought the red SureFire beam filter. If I'm using red and need lots of bright/white light, I just flip the filter open.

Roger

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC my kroma. Honestly I never use the blue LEDs. I would prefer to mod it with yellow green leds or maybe UV or infrared.

I do use the red a lot at work. when i have to talk to my co-workers, they work in a dark room scanning film. I use the red light to illuminate documents and draw their attention. The red helps to not blind them.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

AH!! excellent qualified input.

As a side note, I use my Kroma every night and more than anything else. Curiously, it is the low, uniform and beautiful red beam I use in order not to wake up my wife every night. It is good for me too having night vision. Uses a rechargeable 17670 battery. I had a U2 and sold it off as I could not justify its use.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have a Turbo kroma Darpa DEF-C It has blue (useless), white, and IR. I got it cause my Kroma doesnt have the IR and I didnt like the non-dual mode of the Mil-spec.
I use the IR with my NVGs.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you have a specific use in mind for the light. The Kroma and U2(A) are 'general' tools. For your forensic work you would probably be best served by a light made for the task.

That said, they are some of the most versatile lights out there. My Kroma is my main camping/bush light. While low in total output by current standards the red levels are great for finding your way around a cabin in the bush at night. The same light, just a twist away, will light your way to the outhouse then back to red to keep from waking up the whole camp. I use either the blue or low while with a diffuser for reading in bed. The U2's low level I find still too bright for a lot of my needs in true dark, think 50+ miles for nearest road, conditions. The U2A has a lower low level and is more usefull - in fact the levesl of the U2A are more widely spaced - making it more usefull to me.

You can not beat a U2A for a general purpose light - Yes for a lot less money you can get a P3D with more output and similar flexibility but it still is not a handy as the U2A. The U2 is no slouch, just with is shorter runtime and closer spaced levels the U2A is really the one to go with. In any event, if buying new, unless you find some NOS you will probably be looking at a U2A.

If you are 'into' lights you will probably end up with both - I have all three and would not part with any of them easily.