Opinions on Buck Mayo TNT

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
i saw something on Bladeforums about it. The poster stated it looked and performed like a knife costing 2-3 times as much.

I'll see if I can find the thread. if I didn't have a Dominator on pre-order i would buy one.

Spudman

Enlightened
I have one. I like the blade a LOT. The handle I think could use a small bit of rounding on the edges. It's about 2/3 the price of a sebenza and it's more than 2/3 the knife. I think the sebbie is the better knife, but not by much. I think the blades are a very close call, but the handle on the sebenza feels better in my hand. I'd give the buck/mayo a good recommendation. Read the bladeforums comments on the general and Buck sites.
G.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
besides being overpriced that "thumbhole" kills it for me.

Mrdi

Enlightened
I have two of Tom Mayo's Tnt's.
They are undeniably one of the best designs available.
Far above the Sebenza in terms of ergonomics.
The Buck rendition may have a different feel, that "hole"is correctly designed and is much more friendly than the studs

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a good little knife. The very early ones had some issues with crooked blades, but that seems to have been ironed out.

--dan

yclo

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
It's a good little knife. The very early ones had some issues with crooked blades, but that seems to have been ironed out.

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Sebenza vs Buck Mayo TNT

My Buck Mayo TNT arrived today.

The knife I received doesn't have the crooked blade issue mentioned above. Comparing it to a Small Sebenza, here are my [initial] thoughts/opinions:

Pros:

1. TNT cost about $100 less than the Sebenza.
2. Factory edge on the TNT is sharper than Sebenza.
3. TNT came in an attractive storage/display box.
4. Action seems smoother [looser] on the TNT.
5. I prefer the TNT hole over the Sebenza stud [preference thing], it is just easier for me to open one handed.

Cons:

1. The opened Sebenza feels more comfortable in my hand.
2. Integral lock edge on TNT doesn't appear to be heat treated.
3. I almost cut myself trying to close the TNT with one hand, probably due to the smoother action and the more difficult to reach lock, the Sebenza is easier [safer] to close with one hand.

Summary: If cost was a major decision factor I would go with the TNT, Bill Gates should definitely go for the Sebenza. My thoughts and opinions are worthless and are subject to change without notice.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sebenza vs Buck Mayo TNT

I got one of the first 20 - definetely a "lemon" - and still waiting for a second return and getting impatient - nice knife though.

Klaus

paulr

Flashaholic

I love the Sebenza. Unfortunately I don't own one, but I've handled them several times. I've been afraid to buy one because I tend to lose knives sooner or later. But maybe someday.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
I got one of the first 20 - definetely a "lemon" - and still waiting for a second return and getting impatient - nice knife though.

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I assume that you are the same Klaus that has posted his woes on Buck section of bladeforums? If I had read that post first it would have given me second thoughts on buying one [luckily I read it after mine was delivered.]

I am really sorry you have had such bad luck. Hopefully they will get you fixed up with a newer knife, and I think you will be very happy camper in the end.

Good Luck! It should be worth the wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened

FlashlightOCD, I'm having a senior moment.
What's OCD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

@FlashlightOCD,

you are right - thats me on Bladeforum with the Buck/Mayo 172 "lemon" - the returned knife had the blade swapped and was straight but had vertical blade play - so I sent it back one more time - still waiting for the return.

I might be a nitpicking customer but at >200 USD I expect at least the same qualities of secure lockup and no blade play like in 20USD Vapor or 50USD EDC framelocks.

I do know that Buck will make it right and I have very high trust in both Buck managment and products - this is why I bought one very early without any feedback to begin with.

Klaus

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
TOB9595 said:
FlashlightOCD, I'm having a senior moment.
What's OCD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a psychiatric term for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

snake

Enlightened

klaus,
I saw you at the bladeforum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and I just ordered one Buck TNT.. let see what I got..

for the liner lock runin.. I got a tip from Mr Strider and I do it on my GB as well:

#1 apply some graphite (pencil) on the surface between the blade and the liner

#2 get some beer, sit in front of you TV
#3 keep open & close you knife

then blade & liner should now run much much smooth

snake

Enlightened

hi Klaus,
my TNT has arrived.. on quality side everything is fine. you must got the special edition /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

the box labeled made in China.. it feel like some sort of resin..(not plastic from oil)in the past those are expensive piece of art. imagine you keep painting , left dry, paint and dry for up to 30 layers to made it that thick..certainly it didn't made in this way nowdays and price a lot cheaper, it still feels good.

only one complain is that the liner was too backward not on the right place for the thumb to close it with one hand..

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still waiting on mine - good luck with your new toy erh tool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Re: Buck Mayo TNT

[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
Still waiting on mine - good luck with your new toy erh tool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

Klaus,

It seems like you've been waiting for a long time now. Is shipping that slow to/from Germany? I'd think Buck would make it up to you since you bought an early model lemon, returned it to them once, and still got a sub-par knife.

You should get a partial refund, or a free knife, or something ... ! Your patience is remarkable.

I still think you will be happy if they send you a new [later] model.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

What can I say - the last email I got from Buck is from last friday telling me that they are (again or still) backordered on the knife and will take care of me as soon as possible.

Klaus

snake

Enlightened

Klaus, gurtan tag
you buy directly fm Buck ? or which shop ?
I get mine at TAD, and Evan alway done a good job!
good luck

Latest posts