Maglite Modifications

dollface

Newly Enlightened
I own a basic 3d maglite and a AA mini-mag. What are some modifications i can make to them? Preferably ones where i dont need to buy off the net.

P.s. Im from Australia, so we don't have radioshack or anything like that. Also does anyone know where you get the battery cases that hold like 6/9 AA batteries? All replies appreciated.

If you want you can sent an email to [email protected].

Thanks.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

For some nice modifications, buying from the net will be most necessary. Take a reputable dealer and everything will work out very fine.
Like BatteryJunction for instance.
Simple but good upgrades, that will make you go "wow!" may be from Terralux: TLE-6EXB for the 3D and the TLE-5EX for the 2AA.

With these kits the 3D will go from 30 (?) lumens to over a hundred (120-140) lumens and the 2AA will jump from 5 (?) lumens to 60-80 lumens.

My dad has a Maglite 3D as well and when I got him the TLE-6EXB module he was in awe and nearly couldn't believe it. He kept shining that 3D in all directions that night.

Kind regards,
Joris

Al Combs

Enlightened
Unfortunately I don't think there are very many Mag mods that you buy at a local hardware store. You will need to use the Net. Some stores do have international shipping at reasonable rates. You can buy from KD or DX with no shipping fees. But they require a fair amount of patience in dealing with them.

Anyway, here are a few threads. Pardoning the name there is, "Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Modding". It hasn't been updated in several years, buts it's still worth a look. Gunner12's thread, "Maglite LED and incan mods and drop-ins" is much more useful being current.

Since you already have a 3D MagLite, it's begging for a P7 upgrade. This one is in the Gunner12 thread, but I thought it worth mentioning. There is so much in there you could easily overlook it. I made my P7 3D MagLite based on the link Gunner12 called, "Even direct driven works". If you're at all handy with tools, all you need is a heat sink, an LED and a set of 3*NiMH or NiCad batteries. I first got it running with nothing other than 3*D cell Alkaline batteries. They only last a half hour or so, just for testing purposes. At 700 lumens, this thing is a monster.:devil:

4sevens.com offers what you need for a P7 upgrade and they have free international shipping. They are a first rate store to deal with.

BTW, :welcome: and good luck...

jankj

Enlightened
The terralux drop-in are the easiest mod for both your 3D and mini mag, and you will probably be happy with that. :thumbsup:

Kaidoman sells a kit where you toss out the reflector and glass and replace it with an aspheric lens. It throws like crazy and will light up very distant objects, but the drawback is that you get a large acryllic dome that sticks out the front and is vulnerable to scratching. Also, ask yourself if you'd like a thrower or not . . . It's fun and great for spotting animals and stuff, but a tiny, bright square LED projection is not very good for close range tasks. (You can de-focus it by screwing/unscrewing the head and get a larger, more flood-like light).

The kaidoman aspheric lens can probably be used with any kind of LED, but works really well with the kaidoman Q5 led. You can get the kaidoman lens and led together for $34, or separately. Also, I had a bit of struggle to fit the KD led assembly into my maglite - it's a thight fit! There's plenty of reviews of this kit and lens on this forum.