Lens for a 5mm Cree in a 20mm square box

4estgump

Newly Enlightened
Howdy,
I hope i'm posting this in the correct spot if not I appreciate a redirection.

Here is were I'm stuck. I have 20mm distance with a 5mm cree on one side and a 10mm hole on the other side. I'm trying to get the longest throw through this 10mm hole. Most TIR lenses are 20mm in diameter and would fit put not much light is projected through the hole. I can move the cree as close to the 10mm aperture as I like... Here is some sort of diagram:
| ............ |
| .............|
cree ....... hole (diameter 10mm)
| .............|
| 20mm.... |

height of the box is also 20mm

I was thinking maybe a TIR then some type of convex lens to concentrate the light through the 10mm job.

Does it have to be a TIR? could I use a reflective cone? and if so how will the throw compare?

Any help would be a GREAT help!

Very excited to have found this forum.

Thanks for your help guys!

ahorton

Enlightened
I am almost certain that you want an aspheric lens but it'd have to be a really small one to get into your 20mm box.

Maybe something like http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13903

There are also TIR optics designed for sending light into fibre-optic cables. They would get more of the light through the hole but I don't think the throw would be as good.

Now what is it you are making?

Last edited:

b-bassett

Newly Enlightened
was going to suggest the same aspherics from dx but after a bit of thought id guess that around 2/3rds of the 8 degree beam emmited from the lens wouldnt be transmitted though the hole and would just bounce around inside the box.
not to mention the amount of light lost between the led and the lense itself.

the only thing i can think of which might work, ( and perhaps wouldn't) would be a 10 mm diameter polished tube leading directly from the led, to the hole. ( possibly with an aspheric wedged between the tube and the hole).

th_5mmled.jpg

this seems to have worked quite well for myself although i am using an 18mm tube

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu280/b-bassett/maglightheadbmp.jpg?t=1238348916

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The results from any suggestion will by no means be spectacular.

If you have a 5mm LED it will already put all its light through a 10mm hole.

If you use a power LED, your best bet is an XP-E or Rebel behind the Carclo 10mm optic.

That's if there isn't a better place to put the LED.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
The results from any suggestion will by no means be spectacular.

If you have a 5mm LED it will already put all its light through a 10mm hole.

If you use a power LED, your best bet is an XP-E or Rebel behind the Carclo 10mm optic.

That's if there isn't a better place to put the LED.

+1 on that..!
And even more power...

4estgump

Newly Enlightened
Awesome! Thanks for your advice. I just ordered some 10mm carclos from cutter.

Thanks again> I'll try to get some beam shots up when I'm done.

Cheers!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a pretty cool project. Do you mind if I ask what the intended use is? Nice "thinking inside the box" guys. (pun intended!)