How's the PD30?

thesinmuffin

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a good camping flashlight and I'm thinking about the PD30. Good? Or is there something better in that price range?

fenixflashaholic0537

Newly Enlightened
The PD30 is a great light, but the base model of the PD30, the P3D, has a better runtime in general mode. To tell you the truth, if this is one of your first lights then get a cheaper more commonly found battery. Like the AA battery. The cr123a batteries are just way to expensive. But if you like the anti-roll feature on the PD30, and everything else it offers. Go with it. But if you change your mind, the Fenix L2D is a great light also, that is bright enough.:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends on what you mean by better.

The Fenix L/P series of lights are pretty good for general use. They are brighter then the normal light and run on common batteries, well CR123s are cheaper online(only buy from reputiable stores).

:welcome:

fenixflashaholic0537

Newly Enlightened
Depends on what you mean by better.

The Fenix L/P series of lights are pretty good for general use. They are brighter then the normal light and run on common batteries, well CR123s are cheaper online(only buy from reputiable stores).

:welcome:

You have got a point.:thinking:

Dole

Newly Enlightened
I own the older model (P3D Q5) and I must say it is perfect for camping! The low level is perfect for lighting in the tent, The mid-levels of light are perfect for around the campfire, and turbo mode is perfect for searching around in a field. Its super easy to switch between levels of light and you can hold it in your mouth if you need two hand to do something in the dark. But I think the BEST thing about it is its sheath. Its the perfect size to fit on your belt and not get in the way, but always there when you need it. And there's no clumsy flap with Velcro. Oh and its super bright!

As for the batteries, you can order a 10 pack from fenix-store for $15 and free shipping. That should last you at least a year with normal use...

Also, I really want the PD30 because of the new anti roll rings and tail cap design. These are the only things i would want to change about the P3D...

Dole

Newly Enlightened
...Apparently the PD30 comes with a sheath that has a velcro flap. And apparently about half of the people prefer a flap and half prefer just a snug, open-top sheath... Either way, I'm sure you'll love it... :twothumbs

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
if you're going to use it for camping bring back up, due to battery consumption.
the medium is still to high.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD30 is a great light. Bright, Rugged, fairly priced, and I would say well proven. If you like the UI and the looks, then there is nothing stopping you from purchasing one.

If your going to be using the light so much as to drain the batteries in one outing, I would recommend some AW RCR123's and a charger.

Bill

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
if you're going to use it for camping bring back up, due to battery consumption.
the medium is still to high.

12 lumens=65hrs and 53 lumens=13hrs.
I think that should be plenty of run time unless you are going on a week long camping trip, then just bring another set of batteries. The 12 lumens setting is great for getting around in the dark. Plenty of light. IMHO. Different people have different needs. EPVQ30 has valid reasons with the light to make him not like it for camping. The The problems he listed wouldn't bother me. You will have to decide based on features and performance. There are so many options, but I think you will be incredibly pleased with the Fenix.

Cr123's are getting pretty cheap at online shops. Not like the $4 a piece at Target anymore. Your decision is to get the P3D or a AA "L" series Fenix. Performance isn't quite the same, they are longer, but batteries are cheap and easier to find.
I have the P3D and am amazed by its performance/size.

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you took a PD30 and a P3D and put them in the same body then no one here could tell the difference.

I've had this since it first came out and think it would be a perfect camping light.

My 2 cents.

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
I have the P3D RB100 and wouldn't hesitate to bring it for a camping trip into the woods. Combine the PD30/P3D with the 'white diffuser' and you get a perfect tent lantern.