My next flashlight purchase... suggestions?

gsxrac

Enlightened
So this evening my gf tinkled on a stick and a little + sign showed up, twice. SOOOO I never thought id want a flashlight with JUST a low low output but Im in the market now, this one resembles the first flashlight I ever had so I might go with it?
Playschoolflashlight.jpg

Well this flashlight will be used for checking under beds and in closets for monsters, making funny shapes during ceiling bounce test's. Im thinking the lumens should be 10- it MUST be durable and able to withstand plenty of drops and toss's across the room

Once we decide if its a boy or a girl then we can go with something a little more detailed in one direction or another
Pinklight.jpg

Marduke

Flashaholic
I recommend the first light. The battery compartment screws shut, so you don't have to worry about them being removed and swallowed. It also has auto-shutoff.

I was able to pick up an extra one for 25 cents at a yard sale also.

gsxrac

Enlightened
I recommend the first light. The battery compartment screws shut, so you don't have to worry about them being removed and swallowed. It also has auto-shutoff.

I was able to pick up an extra one for 25 cents at a yard sale also.

I didnt even think about the battery compartment screwing shut. That would be a nice feature.

gsxrac

Enlightened
You dont get to decide stuff like that and the 1st one looks good.

Ok I didnt word that correctly lol. I meant once we find out* :oops:

And that last light looks like it has the same design as a worklight =) I like it!

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to gsxrac --

Congratulations ! :thumbsup:

Best of Luck (and health) to you and your Lady.

And, of course, to the new baby, also !

:wave:

_

gsxrac

Enlightened
Burgess, thank you for the kind words! It wasnt really planned but we are both happy and love kids anyway just lacking monetarily (sp?) but im in the process of improving that now, sadly the first thing to go is going to have to be the flashlight budget:mecry: the 4 wheeler has allready been up for sale for a few weeks.

I think im still gonna get me one last light, a reliable the EDC pocket thrower (E2DL) since ive been wanting it for a good while now and a M30 to complete my MD2. I plan to still spend some time on CPF though :grin2:

wadus

Newly Enlightened
CONGRATULATIONS! :party:

Good luck on your low low, colorful flashlight hunt as well and I wish you all the best.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Fenix E0 on a SF neck lanyard is my fave for checking up on the kids late at night. Its about 5-6 Lumens so its almost too bright with night adapted vision. I tuck it under my t-shirt collar to help dim and diffuse the hands-free light and its perfect. IMHO its better than the E01 for this application because its slightly dimmer, smaller and lighter weight.

Congrats and good luck... fatherhood is a blast.

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
with the rate of advancement in LED technology, I wouldn't buy a light now for so far ahead into the future. You figure with the pregnancy lasting a while and after the baby is born it's going to be a while before it can really do anything with a flashlight.....by that time we may have button cell lights with lots of lumens that'll run for hours and hours.

Congratulations and good luck

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well, if he wants THAT light, it may be prudent to get it now. From what I understand, they are no longer made, and the price is going up every day. So unless you bank on finding one cheap at a thrift store, yard sale, or eBay in the future....

jankj

Enlightened
Congratulations!

Your child will at some point receive a incan flashlight, and design and color will be much more important than technology. Get a handful of terralux generic bulb drop-ins so you can upgrade into something that doesn't eat batteries like cookies and are killed the third time someone tosses it.

carrot

Flashaholic
I had the first one. It's freaking awesome! Runtime is great and it has color filters built in for added fun! I think it was my favorite toy.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Thank you all for the info, I think im going to research the first one and see if it will be hard to swap out the bulb in place of something brighter and more efficent as things advance more. Ok has nothing to do with a light for a child but has anybody ever thought of taking one of those first lights and turning it into an HID? Theyre pretty big and that would make one heck of a "sleeper"!!!

Also do you think one of the Streamlight propoly 5mm led lights would be good or would that be too bright?

Last edited: