Gold and silver bullion

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else collect bullion.I just started recently and don't have much but my collection will grow.:party:

Does anyone know how to get silver bars looking shiny lie new.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Got some pre-1964 US coins from my coin collecting days as a kid. Still wish I'd sold them off when silver hit $50/oz. a number of years ago. Guess it's heading in that direction again.

Geoff

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silver oxidizes or tarnishes. It will tarnish more easily the more it is handled (so don't). Polishing is kind of useless until you want to sell it because either by polishing or using chemicals to remove the tarnish you will wear away the silver bit by bit. Less silver = less $$$, right? I've seen sterling tableware ruined by overdoing the chemical silver polishes.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silver oxidizes or tarnishes. It will tarnish more easily the more it is handled (so don't). Polishing is kind of useless until you want to sell it because either by polishing or using chemicals to remove the tarnish you will wear away the silver bit by bit. Less silver = less $$$, right? I've seen sterling tableware ruined by overdoing the chemical silver polishes.

The value isn't ruined by reduction of mass, it's ruined because the originality of the items are lost.

D.B.

Newly Enlightened
My father-in-law is a strong believer in having gold and silver bullion in case of SHTF scenarios. He gave me 50 American silver dollars to stash away for that reason. Beyond that, I've collected coins since I was a kid, and have amassed a pretty good amount of pre-1964 U.S. silver coins.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear gold bars about the size of your finger and sewn into a vest for travel is a tried and true system.

AuroraAlpha

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how to get silver bars looking shiny lie new.

You would have to polish it with chemical/abrasive cleaners and then block contact with oxygen. If your willing to do so you could varnish/apply a clear coat to it, which would then act as a barrier.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to spend all my money on the latest gadget ( eg. Torches, PDAs, etc..) that a few years later weren't worth anything anymore. About 7 or 8 years ago I decided that, as I seemed incapable of saving, I may as well buy something that retained it's value so I started buying gold. I bought a selection of bullion and collector pieces over a three year period when it cost about £180 an ounce. Now it's going for around £670 oz. I've been thinking about selling some of it and buying myself a new car with the proceeds. I'll keep most of the collectors coins for my 2 year old son to go to university on.
I never collected silver because I couldn't be bothered with finding room to keep it all. At £5 oz I'd have to have bought a shed load of it. Also, I thought that it wouldn't increase as much as gold. ( I was right, it's now only £9 ).
I wouldn't buy any now as I think that the price of gold has pretty much reached it's peak. Sure, it may go up a bit more but I don't think it will by much. All the smart investors are picking up shares nice and cheap now the economy is slumped. 10 or 15 years from now, if you invest well, those will be worth a packet.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I used to spend all my money on the latest gadget ( eg. Torches, PDAs, etc..) that a few years later weren't worth anything anymore. About 7 or 8 years ago I decided that, as I seemed incapable of saving, I may as well buy something that retained it's value so I started buying gold. I bought a selection of bullion and collector pieces over a three year period when it cost about £180 an ounce. Now it's going for around £670 oz. I've been thinking about selling some of it and buying myself a new car with the proceeds. I'll keep most of the collectors coins for my 2 year old son to go to university on.
I never collected silver because I couldn't be bothered with finding room to keep it all. At £5 oz I'd have to have bought a shed load of it. Also, I thought that it wouldn't increase as much as gold. ( I was right, it's now only £9 ).
I wouldn't buy any now as I think that the price of gold has pretty much reached it's peak. Sure, it may go up a bit more but I don't think it will by much. All the smart investors are picking up shares nice and cheap now the economy is slumped. 10 or 15 years from now, if you invest well, those will be worth a packet.

Nice work! I'm with you on having gotten a bunch of gold and silver back when it was cheap, and although it may go up from here, it is just too much of a crap shoot. No rules or track records are being followed to have any certainty.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dump the Federal Reserve Note, get some bullion.

maple1.jpg

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work! I'm with you on having gotten a bunch of gold and silver back when it was cheap, and although it may go up from here, it is just too much of a crap shoot. No rules or track records are being followed to have any certainty.

It certainly won't fall back to anything like it was when we bought it. I think that the current situation will show poeple the folly of relying on just stocks and shares.