Not sure about giving a light for b'day present (TK20)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother's birthday is coming up in a few months. Last year I came close to getting him a light, but I ended up chickening out because I couldn't decide what to get. I had a thread on this last year but it kinda turned into a weapon light discussion, so this time it's non-tactical.

Anyway, now that I've got both a TK20 and TK11, I decided that the TK20 is probably the best bet for a gift in this case, with its AA batteries and all.

But, I read some of the other threads about lights as gifts, and sometimes they weren't well received. I'd hate to give him something that he'd be underwhelmed by, and that would never get used.

I think I need some way to "test the waters" and find out what his reaction is. I need to set up an arranged power failure or a camping trip or something!

When you gave a light as a gift, did you have some idea in advance that the person would like it, or did you take a blind leap? Any good ways to test their reaction ahead of time without being too blatant or over the top?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think it's something they will use (my brother is a mechanic, so I've been looking for something to replace his strion)? Maybe an E0 or something along those lines? Or give them a pack of L91's also so at the very least he can keep it in the glove box. Usually I'll lend a light to a family member for the day or to go on a trip. I've given a few of my lights away to family members if they like them (they don't get returned), makes me feel a bit better though, admittedly it's a bit of a selfish present, because then I get to buy another to take it's place.
Overall, I think it's a good idea. Shows that you care.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I find people are more likely to use a light if they actually carry it, and they are more likely to actually carry it if it's small enough to fit on a keychain. Eventually they will come back and tell you "You know, the other day I got to use that little keychain like you gave me doing ____. Wow is that thing bright!"

That being said, the E01, LD01, Photon Freedom, etc would be an excellent choice. In fact, a matching color Vic Classic would be an excellent combo present.

If their first light is too big, they won't carry it, which means it won't get used when they need it, which means they will likely never learn to appreciate an EDC light.

Edit:
Something like these:

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
No fake senarios. Does he regularly go camping? When was the last time he had a power outage? Is he a do-it-yourself kind of guy? Evening walks, for fun, exercise or dogs? Even if none of these he may appreciate a good light for car or house emergencies.

An LD01 might be a great starter light. Even if he does not put it on his keychain he is bound to be impressed with the amount of light from something that size, and might pocket it or use it for emergency or general night light. They are great even for holidays or travels involving hotels. A light like this also tends to grow on some one after they use it for a while. SO he might not know what to think initially... but later not be able to live without it.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
No fake senarios. Does he regularly go camping? When was the last time he had a power outage? Is he a do-it-yourself kind of guy? Evening walks, for fun, exercise or dogs? Even if none of these he may appreciate a good light for care or house emergencies.

Not a camper, occasional power outages, definite diy, has dogs. He's got a big backyard that doesn't get any streetlighting or anything. It gets awfully dark back there. In my pre-cpf days I was back there trying to light up the area with a 3D Mag incan with low batteries, and it was painfully inadequate.

So if nothing else, a light might be useful to him when he lets the dogs out back at night.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well sounds like your original idea of the TK20, might be a very good light for him. I'd try that, and just see how it goes, buy him a beer to cry in if he does not like it. I suspect he'll like it and you can then talk lights with him one day and see what the next light is you should get him for Christmas. :)

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
Well sounds like your original idea of the TK20, might be a very good light for him. I'd try that, and just see how it goes, buy him a beer to cry in if he does not like it. I suspect he'll like it and you can then talk lights with him one day and see what the next light is you should get him for Christmas. :)
+1 I agree, my Dad wont buy a light, but I can tell he wants one, same with a few of my brothers.. Let us know what ya get him and goodluck :)

Trekmeister

Newly Enlightened
I think the TK20 sounds like a good gift. Don't go overboard with special batteries or n+1 special configurable modes etc. "Normal" people are probably more than satisfied with the two modes of the TK20.

I gave a light to my brother last summer and I am pretty sure he liked it. He works as a welder during the day and he repairs cars as a hobby. The light I chose was a L2T because of the standard R6 battery size and the basic interface. I put two energizer 1.5V lithium-cells in it and told him that in order to get the most from it he should use that type of batteries or rechargeables, also to stay away from alkaline cells. At least I think he enjoyed it, he said it would be great for work and I saw him carrying it in the belt holster for the rest of the week I was there.