Fenix TK10, TK11, PD30 - How different are the beams?

The Beacon

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!

Wow, what a huge resource these forums are! My torch broke recently and I must replace it. It's been ages since I had to buy one and I'm learning about all the new technology. I knew nothing 2 days ago, now I know almost nothing. I saw some great videos on YouTube which got me interested in Fenix lights.

I had settled on the PD30, until I noticed that I could get a more robust flashlight for only a small increase in price - the TK10/11. I was wondering if someone could help me to understand the differences - of course, it's easy to read about different settings or different batteries, those things can be seen at any dealer's site. What I am more interested in is the actual beam - particularly the spill. In an ideal world, I wouldn't want a very focussed 'spotlight'.

The easiest part should be to first choose between the TK10 & TK11. It seems to me that the only differences are the price and the ability to use a rechargable battery to increase runtime. Could someone highlight the differences between the TK10 & TK11? Especially differences in the actual beam produced.

Then I need to decide between one of those and the PD30. Again, I would like to know how different the beam from a PD30 will appear, compared to a TK10/11. Will there be a major difference if we compared both on their highest setting? I notice they have similar max lumens. If I were to go with the PD30, I would also have the option of choosing the reflector type. As I am a little more interested in spill, rather than throw, I think I should be choosing the textured reflector - I hope someone can confirm/correct this.

Well, thanks for reading my first post. Any help or advice you can offer is really appreciated! :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, and welcome here! :welcome:

I have the TK10 and can tell that the difference of maximum brightness is very unsignificant between these 3 lights.
My TK10 has the best and smoothest beam I have ever seen of a reflector light. Because of TK11 has a smooth reflector it will provide some artifacts but throws better. PD30 will likely have a beam between TK10 and TK11.
I suppose the beam of PD30 is similar to PD20, which I have. I prefer a textured reflector. Among these 3 lights PD30 has one advantage and that is the lower brightness modes for very long runtime.

But now we wait for some PD30 and TK11 owner to tell more.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

callmaster

Enlightened
The TK11 also comes in the R2 version. Does that make any difference to you?

I have the TK11 and it's mostly all throw. Depends on what you want. If it's not something focused, then maybe you should avoid the TK11.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
All three of those lights are also on here(PD30 is similar to the P3D-CE Q5). Use the compare function.

The PD30 has the widest beam and longest runtime (lower modes), the TK10 has a narrower beam then the PD30 because of the larger reflector, the TK11 has the narrowest beam because of the smooth reflector. The TK lights should have more out then front lumen.

The textured reflector has more to do with how smooth the beam is. If you need longer range, go for the TK series. If you want closer range and smaller, go for the PD30.

Check here to see if the store you are planning to buy from has a coupon.

:welcome:

The Beacon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the responses!

I think I can rule out the TK11 then, as it seems to have the narrowest beam and the farthest throw.

Gunner12, I would never have guessed that a larger refelctor would give the TK10 a narrower beam than the PD30! I thought it would be the other way around. After learning this, I think the PD30 is probably the best choice for me. Oh, and I did find a coupon for an 8% discount!!!

Thanks again for all the help!

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened
I would never have guessed that a larger refelctor would give the TK10 a narrower beam than the PD30! I thought it would be the other way around.
its because the reflector focuses the light into a beam. larger reflector = narrower beam generally speaking.

skids625

Newly Enlightened
Don't rule out the t-11 or r2 as they are working very well for me @ the jail i work for, where most of the deputy's have surefires or streamlights, they cannot believe the overall spill/spot in nitely use/rnrn

bullettproof

Enlightened
Get a CL1HV4 by Dereelight there R2 is driven @1.2A and the light has a pocket clip. The quality is excellent and I would say should be brighter then the TK11 because its got more power going to it!!!!!