Cree Q3 5A vs. Daylight

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of shots of a Cree Q3 5A outdoors, the time is 11:00 am. I just wanted to compare with daylight. I really like this tint!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:Yep, that's it. Thank you! Nice pics, olrac. Now, let's find an emitter with the same tint and brightness as the sun...;-)...

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely much yellower than sun.

PICT4099e.jpg

Sun makes grass green, 5A makes it yellow...(faded leaves: sun-white, 5A-yellow)

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
3A and WH are really nice. I have yellowish WH (very little green).

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olrac, thank you for the excellent comparison pics. On the wood it does look very close to the sun but in the grass it is not quite what I would like. So far I have not been real tempted by the Q3 5A tints but I think I'd like to try one eventually. Your pics are probably the first ones I've seen like this and it does help a lot to understand what this tint is like.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is almost impossible to have a daylight LED as daylight varies depending on the conditions, for example "daylight" on the Great Barrier reef at high noon can easily be in the 12,000 to 20,000 kelvin range quite different from 4 pm up in Maine might be in the 6000 kelvin range, this also varies with the time of the year. the point is a "daylight" LED is both relative and elusive so find what you like and go for it.:thumbsup:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...it's kind of a tough comparison.

You have to remember that the sun is 100 CRI, so this limits color balancing to an extent with LEDs. I found that late afternoon sun matches a 3500k CFL really good...until you start comparing objects with different colors in them.;)

As for actual Kelvin temp, a good deal of what's assumed is daylight color temp is contributed from the bright blue sky that adds into the mix and increase the number. In my color lab days this was interesting to work with because photo strobes were always a constant 5500-6000K, while environmental conditions changed. Overhead sun always matched strobes almost perfectly.