Smallest AA w/ Clickie

substance

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to find the smallest 1xAA w/ a clickie. I initially purchased a Fenix P2D, but the diameter of the light is just too large for me. I've purchased several AAA lights and their brightness levels are all a little too anemic for me. They simply don't have enough overall output or throw for my liking.

So, is there anything out there in the AA category with a clickie that is more comparable to the AAA's in size, but the CR123 in brightness?

Thanks for your help.

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened
I've purchased several AAA lights and their brightness levels are all a little too anemic for me.
did you buy multilevel ones like the Fenix LD01 or just small long runtime lights like the Fenix E01? big difference. that said, unless its going on a keychain id prefer an AA light anyway.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumapower ConeXion is one of the smallest AA with a clickie. If you are looking to just have a switch instead of a twist, the Photon Pro is a pretty compact AA light.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
LUMAPOWER CONNEXION X2
Length: 92mm, Tail dia.: 19mm, Engine dia.: 20mm, Head dia.: 20.5mm

NiteCore SmartPD D10
Dimensions: 89mm x 19mm

Proton Pro
Length 98 mm
Width / Bezel Diameter 20 mm

D10 wins by a fraction, well, a few mms :)

Please allow me to be off-topic slightly, if clickie is not part of the equation, the new Nitecore EZAA is worth taking a look, the size defies logic.

Last edited:

tempman

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Nitecore D10 and NDI.

I believe the LumaPower ConnXion , Nitecore D10 and Proton Pro are the smallest clicky's of the bunch.

NiteCore D10 is one of the smallest.

NiteCore SmartPD D10
Dimensions: 89mm x 19mm

D10 wins by a fraction, well, a few mms :)

Please allow me to be off-topic slightly, if clickie is not part of the equation, the new Nitecore EZAA is worth taking a look, the size defies logic.

The D10 is not a clickie.:shakehead

carrot

Flashaholic
The D10 is not a clickie.:shakehead
Sure it is. Technically it is a piston drive but the way the PD is set up is such that it approximates the usage of an electronic clicky. In actual usage, there is little difference. One press to turn on, one press to turn off.

carrot's guide said:
Electronic clickies
Electronic clickies are an entirely different breed of clicky switch. They are not as heavily reliant on mechanical pieces to operate. Instead of physically bridging the gap between two electrical contacts like a normal mechanical clickie, pressing the button sends a lower power signal current to the control circuit, telling it to turn on. This results in less physical complexity, making such a clicky more reliable than your average mechanical clickies. One drawback to this design is that the control circuit requires a very small amount of power (compared to none at all for a mechanical clicky or even a twisty) to detect a "click", so if they are left alone for a long period of time (from several months to years, depending on the efficiency of the control circuit) they will drain the battery completely of its power. On many lights this power drain can be disabled by either unscrewing the switch from the flashlight body partly or by slipping a piece of non-conductive material (read: paper) between two metal contacts, usually the contact spring and battery. The most well-known electronic clicky light is the HDS/Novatac EDC, followed by the Photon Freedom and Ra Clicky. Many headlamps utilize similar technology as well.

Smart PD
The NiteCore Smart PD series of lights may utilize the PD design, but in their primary mode they use it differently than the original McGizmo design was intended. The Smart PD is actually a form of electronic clicky, and as with twisty PD's the major advantage is that they are a simplification of the mechanism and they put all the switching at the head which, theoretically should result in a large gain in reliability, although electronic clickies are not known for unreliability.
http://cpf.carrot.googlepages.com/flashlight_guide#clicky

substance

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody. After I started this thread I noticed all of the talk on the EZAA. I really would like to have a clickie, but if there isn't anything out there close in size to this light, I'll probably just end of getting this one.

If you have any new suggestions please let me know, as I still haven't found the "perfect" light.

Thanks

jslappa

Enlightened
The Proton Pro stays in your pocket because you always reach for the D10?

Or, while you've EDC'd both, the Proton Pro is the one you currently put in your pocket?

TIA

ledaholic

Enlightened
The Proton Pro stays in your pocket because you always reach for the D10?

Or, while you've EDC'd both, the Proton Pro is the one you currently put in your pocket?

TIA

That does read kinda funny! :confused:
I like the PP and use it more than the D10.

Shorty66

Enlightened
I would really like the EZAA with a D10/H501 style clicky(or switch if you want so) and without the "charging system" to have the smallest possible AA clicky light.
Add in an XP-E R2 and a good reflector/asph.lens/TIR Optic to get some throw from that light.