XTAR SSC P7-C vs. XTAR CREE MC-E

elheebo

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
I recently purchased an XTAR SSC P7-C and an XTAR CREE MC-E, both from qualitychinagoods.com. I was surprised to find the Cree LED brighter than the SSC P7-C (Seoul semiconductor), while using an AW 18650 Protected 2200 mAh battery. Would either or both of these lights be brighter with unprotected batteries, or could it be that the P7-C arrived with high humidity? I would appreciate any comments of suggestions to get the most out of these lights and am admittedly a neophyte at LED lights.

Many thanks,
elheebo

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am guessing that mc-e has less vf so it can drain higher current, that is all, if you can do some runtimes you might see the difference.

In theory the MC-E wins due to what ergotelis mentioned regarding the lower forward voltage, but if the heat sinking is inadequate you are not going to gain any advantage, you might even loose lumens if the current is too high and too hot to handle for the hosts. If I were to purchase an MC-E I would get a Malkoff regulated or a Maglight on Direct drive with an MC-E.