Help on memory function

speedster

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,

This is my first thread and post but I have been reading threads for a while as a member and not a member. This is a great site and I have learned many things from what I have read. Not to mention, I thought I was the only one who liked to play with flashlights.

OK, now to the point:

I am currently looking at the Nitecore EX10 and the Nitecore Extreme R2. I have been doing some reading on them but I could not find what I was looking for.

Is there anything that has a memory or UI that is programable. Now what I mean by this is, if I program one setting to, say 12 lumens and the next is 80, is there anything that would allow me to keep my programmed 12 and 80 yet give me the low and high. Or is that asking for too much?:confused:

If possible:

• Under $100, but I will spend more than that if I think the light is that good.
  • Programable modes,then high and low.
  • Batteries or cells are not a problem, rechargable is nice.
  • Good spill (im a fan of flood)
  • Clicky doens't matter (Foward, reverse, PD)
  • Clip, if not attached I will just buy one
  • If possible, no strobe or SOS
Now if there is threads that have already discussed this same situation, please post and then no need to make this thread any longer than it needs to be.

Thank you for all your help, opinions and thoughts.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Any JetBeam that has the IBS interface features three user-settable modes; the light uses a standard brightness ramp just like the Nitecores, but when you find an output level that you like, you can just save it to a mode, similar to station memories on a car radio. Then when you use your light, you can instantly blip between the presets, you don't have to bother with the brightness ramp again.

The model that most closely matches your criteria (good spill, many battery options, switch options) is the very popular Jet III ST, see it here: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jetiiiprost.html

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Jetbeam IBS UI has settable modes. The Nitecore Extreme and Defender Infinity lets you set the lower output mode. The D10, EX10, and D20 only have one mode which can be changed. The Novatac P lights have adjustiable output. The RA lights also have adjustible modes, and so do the Liteflux lights.

:welcome:

speedster

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for that, now if you don't mind me asking, what is the difference between that and the military version besides the looks(I like the military version actually)? It seems that I can't find a thing that says strobe or SOS, so thats good right(for me anyways)??

Im going to read some reviews and then let you guys know my decision.

I'm open to any other opinions, recommendations, etc. And of course, thank you.

speedster

Newly Enlightened
Some Jetbeam has 3 programable settings and Liteflux has up to 5 programable settings.
Thank you.
The Jetbeam IBS UI has settable modes. The Nitecore Extreme and Defender Infinity lets you set the lower output mode. The D10, EX10, and D20 only have one mode which can be changed. The Novatac P lights have adjustiable output. The RA lights also have adjustible modes, and so do the Liteflux lights.

:welcome:

And thank you for our input and the welcome.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
what is the difference between that and the military version besides the looks(I like the military version actually)? It seems that I can't find a thing that says strobe or SOS, so thats good right(for me anyways)??

The Military version has one settable mode and one maximum output mode. Not quite as flexible as the three-mode IBS interface, but better for actual military/tactical use. It also is not as floody as the ST.

The Military and IBS lights do have a strobe and SOS menu, with a wide range of types that you can select from, but they're completely separate from the brightness ramp and the set modes - you never have to see them if you don't want to.

speedster

Newly Enlightened
The Military version has one settable mode and one maximum output mode. Not quite as flexible as the three-mode IBS interface, but better for actual military/tactical use. It also is not as floody as the ST.

The Military and IBS lights do have a strobe and SOS menu, with a wide range of types that you can select from, but they're completely separate from the brightness ramp and the set modes - you never have to see them if you don't want to.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DING DING DING WE might HAVE A WINNAR!

Sorry, got a little excited there. I'm really liking this torch. But, what is the difference between the Broad voltage circuit and 16850? Correct me if im wrong but isn't 16850 a battery?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
what is the difference between the Broad voltage circuit and 16850? Correct me if im wrong but isn't 16850 a battery?

Broad Voltage means the circuitry in the light is set up to accept several different kinds of batteries (18650 or 2x123 or 2xRCR123).

An 18650 is a Lithium Ion cell, usually found in notebook computer battery packs. It is 18 by 650 millimeters in size, notably larger than an AA cell. The 18650-only light can only use this particular battery.

:caution: If you're not familiar with the proper procedures and handling when dealing with Li-Ion cells, I strongly recommend you read up on this site before you attempt to use a Li-Ion powered light; Li-Ion cells can explode into toxic flames if not correctly used. Be sure you are fully informed before purchasing.

But the Military is definitely the most popular JetBeam light, it has a large following here. If all you need is one max mode and one settable mode, it's definitely a winner.

oldpal

Enlightened
Hello everybody,

This is my first thread and post but I have been reading threads for a while as a member and not a member. This is a great site and I have learned many things from what I have read. Not to mention, I thought I was the only one who liked to play with flashlights.

OK, now to the point:

I am currently looking at the Nitecore EX10 and the Nitecore Extreme R2. I have been doing some reading on them but I could not find what I was looking for.

Is there anything that has a memory or UI that is programable. Now what I mean by this is, if I program one setting to, say 12 lumens and the next is 80, is there anything that would allow me to keep my programmed 12 and 80 yet give me the low and high. Or is that asking for too much?:confused:

If possible:

• Under $100, but I will spend more than that if I think the light is that good.
  • Programable modes,then high and low.
  • Batteries or cells are not a problem, rechargable is nice.
  • Good spill (im a fan of flood)
  • Clicky doens't matter (Foward, reverse, PD)
  • Clip, if not attached I will just buy one
  • If possible, no strobe or SOS
Now if there is threads that have already discussed this same situation, please post and then no need to make this thread any longer than it needs to be.

Thank you for all your help, opinions and thoughts.

The Liteflux LF3XT is your light. You can have 5 programmable settings, with high and low being two of them. You can have a strobe and SOS if you wish, or not. The LF3XT is a very versatile light for around $60. However, for $99 you can get a Ra EDC Exec that will work for you as well. There are lots of posts here discussing the merits of each of these lights. I have both of these lights and am very pleased with each .

Hugh

speedster

Newly Enlightened
Broad Voltage means the circuitry in the light is set up to accept several different kinds of batteries (18650 or 2x123 or 2xRCR123).

An 18650 is a Lithium Ion cell, usually found in notebook computer battery packs. It is 18 by 650 millimeters in size, notably larger than an AA cell. The 18650-only light can only use this particular battery.

:caution: If you're not familiar with the proper procedures and handling when dealing with Li-Ion cells, I strongly recommend you read up on this site before you attempt to use a Li-Ion powered light; Li-Ion cells can explode into toxic flames if not correctly used. Be sure you are fully informed before purchasing.

I am indeed reading about the li ion cells. The last thing I would want to do is purchase something that is supposed to help and end up hurting me. As for the JB(Jetbeam), I like the Military edition but 1 programmable setting is kind of a drag.

speedster

Newly Enlightened
I don't know of any.:thinking:
Thats no biggie, nice to meet you though.
The Liteflux LF3XT is your light. You can have 5 programmable settings, with high and low being two of them. You can have a strobe and SOS if you wish, or not. The LF3XT is a very versatile light for around $60. However, for $99 you can get a Ra EDC Exec that will work for you as well. There are lots of posts here discussing the merits of each of these lights. I have both of these lights and am very pleased with each .

Hugh

I am looking through reviews on a different tab, and thanks for the input.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I like the Military edition but 1 programmable setting is kind of a drag.

Which is precisely why I haven't gotten one :grin2:

And why I initially recommended the III ST - it may not have the badass factor of the Military, but it does have the full three settable modes, and a broad beam profile.

PetaBread

Enlightened
The Liteflux LF3XT is your light. You can have 5 programmable settings, with high and low being two of them. You can have a strobe and SOS if you wish, or not. The LF3XT is a very versatile light for around $60.

+1 the LF3XT would be the perfect (?) choice. :thumbsup:

speedster

Newly Enlightened
+1 the LF3XT would be the perfect (?) choice. :thumbsup:

Which is precisely why I haven't gotten one :grin2:

And why I initially recommended the III ST - it may not have the badass factor of the Military, but it does have the full three settable modes, and a broad beam profile.

ATTENTION: I have made the choice and ordered the Jetbeam III PRO ST. Fits most of the things I wanted. No clip on it but, I thought about why I wanted a clip and realized that chances are, im not going to EDC this light. It will most likely be in my room and only used to play with and when I do something that requires additional light.

The two things that pushed me over the edge to the side of Jetbeam was the size(JB=120mm vs LF=80mm) and lumens(JB=220 vs LF=145?) The reason I wanted the bigger light was because I do the "ice pick(?)" or "over hand" almost all of the time. Something too small might seem hard to over hand. Obviously the more lumens the better :twothumbs

Thank you for all the input I received and I will be making a donation to a member here so they can buy more batteries and then more great reviews. THANK YOU ALL AND IT WAS NICE TO MEET YOU!!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Enjoy your new quality tool :thumbsup:

Once you see the 2 lumen low, and how many different output levels and mode combinations are possible, I wager you will find it to be a much better EDC candidate than you originally thought..

speedster

Newly Enlightened

Once you see the 2 lumen low, and how many different output levels and mode combinations are possible, I wager you will find it to be a much better EDC candidate than you originally thought..

I am really going to use the low most of the time probably.

On a sad note, I asked them how long does it take to ship to jersey from MA and they said 1-2 days but its a preorder so I have to wait 1-2 weeks :faint:

O well, im sure the wait will make it worth it.

speedster

Newly Enlightened

Is it possible to buy a clip or add one incase I go somewhere with it and I want to keep it in my pocket?