Need some simple machining help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Enlightened
I'm looking for someone who can help me with a little machining that I want to do. For anyone who makes their own flashlight bodies, and has access to a lathe, this little task ought to be a snap.

As a demo for my daughter's pre-K class, I have a set of similar-sized metal cylinders made from different materials to demonstrate different densities. I have four cylinders made from four different metals: magnesium, aluminum, steel and tungsten. The cylinders are all slightly different sizes though, so I'm looking for some help trimming them to the same size.

The tungsten, steel and aluminum cylinders are all 1" diameter and a bit over 2" long. The aluminum and steel are about 1/8" longer than the tungsten. The magnesium bar is 1.5" diameter and 3" long. Never mind the steel, it's probably too hard to cut easily, but the aluminum and magnesium ought to be a cinch to trim down to the same size as the tungsten bar with the proper tools.

Basically, I need the magnesium rod trimmed from 1.5" diameter down to 1" diameter and both the magnesium and aluminum cylinders cut to the specified length. Let me know if you are interested in helping me with this, and how much you would charge for it.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.