Switch

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well it's official. I'm going over to the "Dark Side" or the "Light Side" depending on who you talk to. I'm getting a Mac. Gently used G4 450 Mhz with 128 Mb Ram (But there's scrudloads of PC-133 around here, I'm adding more) 20 Gig HD (I'm getting a 120 to replace it) and a 17" FD Trinitron monitor.

This will actually be my second Mac, my first being a family heirloom Mac Classic 128k upgraded to a whopping 1Mb. No HD and the internal, single sided, low density floppy was broken so I had to use an external drive that could read double sided disks but again only low density. I'm not kidding when I say family heirloom--it was my Uncles, then my Grandmas, then my Aunt's family computer, then my Cousins and then another cousin and finally me. It's monitor developed a problem while I had it and it's long gone now.

Funny thing is my moms whole side of the family, with the exception of her, uses Macs. My grandma, uncles, aunts, etc. But we've always been the black sheep in that we used PCs, so my immediate family if giving me crap over switching (They jest...mostly) while my extended family is welcoming me to the world of...Mac

Saaby

Flashaholic
Do you mean

Apple Switch Ad (Right click to download)

By the way...I never game. Honestly I think I played a few rounds of Half Life on a friends computer several years ago and other than that the last FPS I played at home was probably Doom or maybe Wolfenstien (The original). If I gamed I probably wouldn't have switched.

It's a PowerMac not an iMac. It's upgradable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
Well, I'm have started on and currently using a windows machine and most likely not change to Mac in the near future.

But I do have to congratulate you on switching to Mac's, they're better. M!cr50ft sux.

-YC

GeoffChan

Enlightened
Congrats on the switch Saaby.

I'm tempted to go out and pickup a brand new Emac for $920 ($1400Au) and do the switch myself. I've owned a Powerbook 150 and that was an awful machine. I also have 5 Newton 2x00(i) Messagepads which still /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif 5 years later. I got this machine a few months back and is sitting in my office.

ibook.jpg

Geoff

Saaby

Flashaholic
Just waiting for FedEx....got home about an hour too late yesterday...waiting waiting waiting.

Going insane...going insane...going insane...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'm sure you'll let us know how you like it.
I look forward to your help with my (e)mac once you know more about it than I do, which will take about 20 minutes I expect.. :p /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Isn't a "switch" something you break off a tree, run home with, give to mom or dad, and then get your *** spanked with? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've got a Macintosh Powerbook 140 with a bad screen (black and white, too) that I bought in a thrift shop for $35 a year or so back; I only use it for a notebook to save names and passwords on.

The pee-cee I'm on now runs Windows XP. And my other laptop runs Windows 98. My old pee-cee ran Windows 95, and the one I had before it ran Windows 3.1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Before that, I ran a Commode-128, a Commode-64, a Vic-20, a Rat Shack TRS-80 Model 100, a Tandy Model 3, and a number of "dumb" terminals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif And in the mid 1980s, I ran a Timex-Sinclair 1000. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

So I guess I've "switched" a few times since getting my first computer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned
Craig, my TRS-80, Model 100 has the best computer keyboard of any I've ever used. Kyocera did a fine job building that thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tomsig03.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Model 100 was nice, but lacked a decent random number generator. I had one, and I have to agree with Tomas about the keyboard.

Heck, I started with a Radio Shack Pocket Computer 1. My first MS-DOS computer was the Tandy 2000 FD. After the 2000, I had a 1400 FD, then 1400 HD. I had a AT clone in a thin desktop case. When that died, I had a 386DX-40 system put together at a local shop. I had DOS 6.2 and Win 3.1 on that one. I sold that and was without a computer, till I got a CTX notebook with Win98 (first edition). Now I have a very nice home built Athlon XP system.

I guess I have switched a few times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ryan will be playing with his new toy, of he doesn't end up in a psych unit before it arrives. hehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
The Model 100 was nice, but lacked a decent random number generator. I had one, and I have to agree with Tomas about the keyboard.

[/ QUOTE ]
I totally agree about that keyboard - it was very nice to type on. I lost my Model 100 in a hawk shop though - didn't have the $15 or $25 or so I needed to get it out. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they turned around and sold it for $100 or more after my ticket went bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
Heck, I started with a Radio Shack Pocket Computer 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had one of those things too!!!
It was very small, but it ran from a peculiar OS and you couldn't upgrade that OS if you wanted to. I think I traded a handheld CB radio for it in a bar somewhere.
I don't know where it is now, other than I know a hawk shop didn't get it like they got my Model 100. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I switched from an Apple ][ to an IBM PC in 1983 and haven't looked back. I detest proprietary hardware. Steve Jobs' arrogance bothers me too ("People don't have enough brains to handle more than one mouse button").

If I switch again, it's likely going to be to Linux (Lindows maybe?). Bill G. is starting to bother me too. I was quite interested to see the city of Munich switch to Linux; soon maybe we'll have a workable GUI for Linux -- that's the only thing holding it back right now.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
I switched from an Apple ][ to an IBM PC in 1983 and haven't looked back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Back in high school, there was a Franklin 2000 (or maybe a Franklin Ace 2000) (a direct clone of a Crapple ][ as I remember) with a color screen, an 80-column board, and external 5.25" floppy drives. And there was this hard plastic thing on it that prevented the user from hitting certain keys.
The user could write BASIC programs for it, but it didn't have a machine language monitor or assembler so I really couldn't get into the thing unless I used PEEK and POKE statements, or whatever Crapple BASIC's equivalent statements were. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
The Apple ][ was fun and powerful; you could buy lots of 3rd party boards, write 6502 machine language programs, learn DOS, etc. It was mostly Steve Wozniak's design; Steve Jobs was primarily responsible for the design of the case and keyboard.

You missed a lot of the fun parts by having limited access to the Franklin.

I was sorely disappointed when Jobs' Mac was introduced... proprietary hardware, integrated b/w monitor, no color, no machine language access, GUI access only, no hard drive, limited developer tools... It was Steve Jobs' way or the highway. Most hardware junkies and machine language pros defected to the PC camp.

Apple now has a razor-thin 3.5% of market share with little prospect of expanding that. If Jobs were smart, he'd release Mac OS X for the PC market. People want other choices than just Windoze and Linux. However, it might be too late for that. The shifting of the momentum in the PC world from a purely American market to a European + Asian + US market makes it more difficult. Non-US PC users very often cannot afford mainstream hardware and sofware (e.g Windoze on an HP).

Tomas

Banned
If this were /. I'd have to moderate some of these as "Flamebait" or "Troll" ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig03.gif