What am I doing wrong (P60 dropin help)?

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
Building my first P60 drop in using a luxIII red LED. (1540mah 2.85 forward volts) Everything is wired correctly, and the emitter is mounted on a scrap of aluminum with thermal adhesive. When I hit the switch it lights up at about 10 lumen :sigh:.

I took it all apart and just checked the led with my lab power supply running 3.7v at 1.4 amps without the board and it is just fine 100ish lumen. So I know it is the board.

The board is a 1400mah AMC7135 from DX. I tested a second one, and same thing very low output. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
Not sure, but I think some of the boards are only set up with 1 7135 on, and the other 7135's have to be soldered to work. There is a point where 2 lands are close together, and they have to be soldered together. Think I saw it on KD site.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductImages.aspx?ProductId=1612

AHH HA! I bet that is it. I will try after dinner tonight and report back.
Thanks for finding that I would have never even thought to look at it.

Ran to harborfreight to grab a chepo multimeter since I loaned out my fluke. So at least now I can do some trouble shooting. If that is not it.

As far as the battery I am running a 18650 to it. (measure at 3.98v) The voltage input to the driver is 3.7-4.5 so all good there.

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
Woo Hoo let there be light.

Lighthouse One was correct, the 2 solders must be done for it to run at 1400ma. Thank you again, I would have never figured that out. On top of it shorting against the reflector if screwed down too much.... But all is well now and I have a powerful red light! Something I have been wanting since the A2 come out years ago.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What drop-in are you putting this in? Are you using one of the P60 size kits from DX (SKU:5937) or something else? I'm looking to build a Seoul P4 P60 drop-in.

Thanks,
Robert

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
What drop-in are you putting this in? Are you using one of the P60 size kits from DX (SKU:5937) or something else? I'm looking to build a Seoul P4 P60 drop-in.

Thanks,
Robert

Don't waste your money on 5937. I ordered two of them, the idiots put the brass part of the drop in inside the reflector for shipping. So now it is useless as a smooth because the reflector is scratched to heck.

Get the 3257 Its a light to medium orange peal on the 2 I received. Also it has a brass or copper base not the aluminum it shows in the product picture. And they actually screwed the base to the reflector for shipping so no damage.