Is a flat output Arc AAA possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sucks that the subject line cuts you off when posting. I really wanted to say "Is a current regulated flat output Arc AAA possible?"

Quite sometime ago, I believe Peter posted that spacewise, the electronics needed for a current regulated flat output Arc AAA was not possible. However I believe and don't hold me to it, he also said the same for the Arc LS and then that was since been disproved by modders and he indeed incorporated a modders circuit (Wayne) into the Arc LS. Although the Arc AAA is by far and away my favorite keychain light, if flat output regulation was possible, it would be icing on the cake.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think it would be a great idea since the Arc AAA runs on a tiny little battery with relatively high internal resistance. If you kept it running at max brightness til the battery was dead, the total light you'd get out would probably be less than you do know. What the AAA does now seems just about optimal. However, yeah, you could probably build a constant current version by using a different ASIC if you had to.

Saaby

Flashaholic
The short answer is yes and no.

Yes, a flat output Arc AAA is completely possible. It would require a little tweaking of the electronics. Peter won't do it though. It's like a Marathon vs. Sprint runner. The Arc AAA is a marathon runner, it starts out quite bright and stays fairly bright until it falls out of regulcation. ON AAA batteries a fully regulated light would be a sprint runner. It'd start out extremely bright and stay extremely right but when it would die, and that wouldn't take long, it's be dead. DEAD.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
MY AAA doubles as an emergency light, and emergencies have unknown duration. I feel more secure with a long, dimming burn than a short bright one.

Brightnorm

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to remind you, we did build a flat output AAA model. Two different types in fact. Keyword "XR".

Peter

Saaby

Flashaholic
you actually built them? I thought that they were just requested and you said "If enough people want one"

gyverpete

Enlightened
Peter, XR means regulated extended run, right? That would be a dimmer but longer running light sort of like the difference between the CMG standard and ultra. I think people here are talking about just the opposite. A fully regulated light, bright as it is now, but with a shorter runtime and flat output. More like the LS is. I would buy one. I'm very impressed by the consistent output of my LS and I would like the AAA to work that way. Perhaps it might be able to get 2 hours sun and 1 hour moon or something like that if it's possible to even do. I guess it would have to be current regulated. I would swap 2 hours even-brightness for longer runtime. The AAA as it stands dims noticably over its battery life and I end up changing the battery after only 2 hours anyway to maintain the brightness at near original levels. I carry a Photon II yellow for backup or extended run if it ever becomes necessary, along with my AAA 24/7.

Here's a link to a previous thread about the XR. Do a search on "XR" for more threads.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=172048&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.