A little purchase-decision help?

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I now have some extra cash, and the next light will be chosen soon. But I'm having trouble deciding what it should be.

I've thought long and hard about the A2, and I really love the idea of a regulated beam - I hate using a light that is less bright than it was a while ago because I get torn between using the batteries up and living with the 'lousy' light, or putting new ones in to get 'perfect' light. The A2 would seem to solve that problem. I've decided that if I get an A2 it will be white. But, it's $150 for a light that is dimmer than my E2e, or my L1, and is larger than both.

On the other hand, I have a local gun store that carries surefire and I've got some shopping time tomorrow, and although they don't yet have the A2 (they told me it's not out yet ;-) they do have almost everything else, and at decent prices ($80 for my E2e). Instant gratification is a wonderful thing, and I've got the new-light itch something fierce.

So, I've lusted after an E1e (although I have an L1, which is about the same amount of light), a 3-cell model of some sort (C3?), and one of the 2-cell 'normal sized' models as well. I figured the L1 might be a good light in which to put the less than full batteries from the other lights, but I think I will probably end up with a lifetime supply of batts for the L1 with just the E2e, and I find I actually use the low-beam of the L1 more than the high beam - great for night trips for water or the bathroom. The E1e is really small and cool, but I just know that everytime I reach for it, and the E2e is right there, I'll grab the E2e. Or will I?

The A2 whispers, but for the $150 I would spend on one of those I could buy quite a lot of other stuff - a 6p with charging system, or a z2 and filters or other widgets - heck, I could almost get a c2 + E1e for that much. Or, how about a rechargeable? E1e and a G2 or two for the car & workshop?

Help!

Anyone thought of holding a seminar on flashlight purchase prioritizing?

SUREFARC

Enlightened
My advice is if your looking forward to the upcoming KL4 than go with the E2e. Otherwise, the A2. I have to say the main beam of the A2 is BRIGHT and white. I love the beam shape and the quality. And if you use low beam a lot, then the leds in the A2 will serve you better. Again I never consider it as large.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Or how about something completely different like a Stinger or maybe even Tigerlight.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Your cash may be better held on to for when the KL4 and Z57 Clickie TailCap is released. If you haven't already got an E2e then perhaps as with the KL1 dealers will be setup to offer the KL4, E2e body and Z57 Clickie as one unit.

Al

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say, since it seems like you don't have one yet, save up for a decent rechargeable flashlight...

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
FalconFX,

What would you recommend for a rechargeable? I've often been tempted by the various surefires & stingers. If I could get a light the size of an E2e in a rechargeable package, that would probably get enough use.

What's kept me from getting one in the past is that I worry if I will use the light enough, because nicads like to be used.

I've looked at Pila's website, but I can't figure out where you order from...

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have an E2E and a L1, I'd skip the E1 since the E1 is best used with the KL1 (IMO) and thus redundant with your L1.

I see the E2E + L1 as more useful than the A2 since you get three brightness levels instead of two, plus redundnacy.

On the other hand, if the E2E + L1 is more than you are willing to carry, adding the E1 + KL1 might be a more compelling partner for your E2E. I suspect this will be even cooler when the E series clickie is added (whatever that actually comes out).

On the other, other hand, if you consider the E1 + KL1 for a smaller, bright light, you might consider Dspeck's "firefly" (see the Mod section). It will take a while to get it, but it looks to be the cat's meow in terms of small, bright task lights.

The Arc LS might also be worth considering in this area.

I'm not fond of SF's rechargables except for the 10X which is a bit more change. Of course if it's in your price range it's a killer rechargable. For rechargables, I'd look at Streamlight.

Something fun, but unrelated (to the small lights) might be a UK Light Cannon.

You could also get a boatload of smaller, less expensive lights like the UK 2L, SL 4AA LED, PT Surge, UK 4AA, Arc AAA, CMG Ultra, MiniMag mods like the Newbeam or Wayne's BadBoy sandwiches....

-john

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
search for "A2 aviator", there have been some less than impressed flashaholics with this one.

i'd recommend an E2e and E1e/KL1 or arc ls.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get an E2e and a couple of spare lamp assemblies. Since you have an L1 you can skip the KL1 and wait for the KL4. therefore you can skip the E1e cause you don't have a KL1.

If you want a classic size Surefire you can't go wrong with the G2Z. It comes with a lock out tail cap and has a pyrez lens and accepts the P60 and P61 lamp assemblies

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
Well, thanks to everyone for their advice!

I do have an E2e already, as well as the L1. I've thought of the arc LS, but it doesn't seem to be any brighter than the L1, although much smaller...I do need to have one, as well as the smaller Arc AAA...hmmmmm...

I went to the gun store, and they claim the A2 is not available for the forseeable future. Then again, they say the L1 is not available either, although I resisted the urge to pull out the L1 in my pocket to show him that it WAS available...anyway, I digress...

I think now it's down to an A2, an Arc LS, or one of the streamlight stinger rechargeables. The surefire rechargeables seem to have a spotty rep, and they are, of course, expensive.

So, what's the best place to buy an Arc? Which Stinger? Are the surefires rechargeables worthy?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the Stinger, it sort of depends on what you want - brightness vs size.

I think the following look good:

Fairly small, fairly bright - Stinger XT HP or Stinger HP depending on what switch you like.

Larger but bright - Ultra Stinger

-john