Solar Powered Floating Led Modules

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never seen such a beast, but as a guess it's really using the three LED 'chip' in the changing color novelties?

The one I have in a Christmas gift pen uses 3 button cells and cycles through several dozen colors in several patterns. Kinda fun to watch....for a while.

You could probably try the idea out by putting one in an empty beer bottle and throwing it into the pool......

OTOH, I've cleverly avoided your dilemma to date through the simple expediency of not allowing the pool in the back yard. I hope you post the details of your ultimate submission?

Doug Owen

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug:
I have one of those pens also. As you said, neat to watch... for a while. Yet I am sort of facinated by the idea of floating leds, even though I don't have a pool. Any posts I make with these will probally involve the bathtub.

zmoz

Enlightened
I've seen those before at northern tool...I beleive it was...for around $30. I would think it would be relatively easy to modify a regular solar yard light that can be had for ~$6...

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
Doug:
I have one of those pens also. As you said, neat to watch... for a while. Yet I am sort of facinated by the idea of floating leds, even though I don't have a pool. Any posts I make with these will probally involve the bathtub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I like it....something in a false bottom rubber ducky?

FWIW it might be kinda fun to rig either a micorphone or motion sensor to it so it responds to folks in the pool (or hot tub for us left coast types).

FWIW if figure it's a waste to put solar panels on 'em as you're sure to tire of them in other than party settings.

Doug Owen

wualta

Newly Enlightened
Here in western Michigan, the Big Lots chain is selling floating solar lights for $8. Red and amber only, and everything is enclosed in a clear plexi sphere with a little hanging loop molded in the top so that the whole thing looks like a giant Christmas tree ornament. They seem to work well, but don't drop them or the sphere's equatorial seam splits.

Walt Brand