Surefire Titan T1A

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the real deal with the Surefire Titan T1A???? It would be nice to just have some reasonable answers.

Is there an issue with the original circuit design that is causing a complete rework/redesign?

Isn't there already a titanium version out with the circuit – and the circuit just needs to be tweaked for the new body (which is easier going into a larger host)? This tweak has been in the works for over a year. It's not like the circuit is being designed from scratch.

OK the long time is to be meticulous and do all the proper checks and testing before manufacture. I can buy that. But then how can all of a sudden find an issue with the circuit just as the product is supposed to be getting ready to ship out to dealers? Do they need to disassemble all the units already built or were there none ready to go out in the first place??

How can they lead their dealers into accepting preorders for a light that isn't even close to being shipped? At least to me, a preorder is something for a product that is complete and is getting ready to ship but hasn't shipped yet from the original manufacturer. An "announcement" is for something in design and prior to being manufactured. Did they mislead some of their dealers?

All this seems very strange to me and unusual business practice. It would be nice to get a little bit of credible info as to what's happening.

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire Titan T1A??? Whats the real deal?

They way I see it

T1A = Aluminum version of the original titan...
in the same way as
Silver E1B is the same as the original E1B

concept0

Enlightened

They way I see it

T1A = Aluminum version of the original titan...

I think that's exactly the OP's point. If it's just an aluminum version of a light they already designed, then why the sudden problem with electronics?

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened

But then how can all of a sudden find an issue with the circuit just as the product is supposed to be getting ready to ship out to dealers?

do you have a source for this issue, or is this more from the perspective of speculation on why surefire has failed to meet yet another projected release date for the myriad of new products from the last couple of catalog years? as for pre-orders, surefire definitely isn't the only manufacturer associated with "authorized" dealers/resellers exhibiting this type of behavior (if this is even something within their control in the first place). i'd be fairly surprised if any of these dealers were provided with documentation of formal delivery dates for any specific product; however, that's unfounded speculation on my part. perhaps one of the dealers in question can chime in on this particular point?

concept0

Enlightened

do you have a source for this issue, or is this more from the perspective of speculation on why surefire has failed to meet yet another projected release date for the myriad of new products from the last couple of catalog years? as for pre-orders, surefire definitely isn't the only manufacturer associated with "authorized" dealers/resellers exhibiting this type of behavior (if this is even something within their control in the first place). i'd be fairly surprised if any of these dealers were provided with documentation of formal delivery dates for any specific product; however, that's unfounded speculation on my part. perhaps one of the dealers in question can chime in on this particular point?

As per MattK from Battery Junction (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=192863):

We just learned today, 3/30, that they had some issues with the electronics that came to light on Thursday which will delay things a few weeks.
icon23.gif

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

do you have a source for this issue, or is this more from the perspective of speculation on why surefire has failed to meet yet another projected release date for the myriad of new products from the last couple of catalog years? quote]

Well, the source is in the manufacturers corner (Matt from Batteryjunction) who was waiting to hear from his distributor. And do not blame him since he is a good dealer here.

Whats strange is that there are other dealers on the net (Cabelas, Brightguy etc.) that have all started to list the Titan T1A within the last month or two and all approximately the same time which seemed like an indication that something is about to be released. I understand delays and issues that happen - its just seems extreme in this case.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I would guess that the electronics are not the same. We're going to have to wait for the first disassembly to find out for sure.

I remember the Ti version was not the easiest to assemble, so maybe scaling up the manufacturing has been more difficult than they thought.

However, I'm not making any apologies for them since they didn't have to advertise it until they were ready. They get the benefit of the extra advertising and market building, they have to take the heat for the sh$$ty execution. I think they need to hire management instead of giving cushy jobs to LE industry and military insiders. That's OK for some sales. (Of course this last comment is pure speculation, except for the obvious grade F management assessment). SF is built tough they should be able to take it, the question is can they execute a plan of attack to regain their territory).

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess thats what makes the whole issue strange is that they have been advertising the light in the 2008 catalog and 2009 catalog without ever shipping one. I think it would help their position if they let some of their dealers know what the holdup is - thats all.

DimmerD

Enlightened

I figured something was up when it took Matt so long to post Monday on whether or not they shipped. Don't know why but I just had a feeling that they were delayed again, am I surprised, no it is Surefire. A little disappointed maybe but that's understandable since I paid for 1 in January. Not canceling here as a few more weeks isn't a huge deal. But it really makes you wonder if they really intended on shipping last week and found a last minute problem. Do they have to repair all of the ones produced so far or is it just a certain batch of them. Anyway I'd rather be a little disappointed now with it being late than having to ship it in for repair due to an "electronics" problem.

nirvanaxp

Newly Enlightened

I really don't know what the deal is with surefire. For a company that sells its flashlights for so much money, you would think they could get a team of people to work on the electronics of its more exotic flashlights. I say exotic, yet a dimmable flashlight from an electronic standpoint is not all that novel an idea. It should not take a year to port a design over from a smaller cell to a larger one, and even if the guts are being completely redesigned It shouldn't take this long to get things fixed. uhh frustrating.:shakehead

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened

My guess goes to 'outsourced' electronics not being up to spec and the 'source' is gonna have to 'lick that dog' again to make it right.

Burgess

Flashaholic

SureFire T1A is MIA

Perhaps this could be helpful . . . .

SureFire could have CPF members as Beta Testers.

If there is ANY problem at ALL with a flashlight,

you can bet yer' :whoopin:that we would FIND it,

and WRITE about it ! You Betcha' !

In return, the CPF Beta Testers would be permitted
to keep their sample unit, or else the "revised & updated"
bug-fix, after the "shake-down" testing is complete.

This would help reduce (i'm not saying eliminate)
such embarrassing incidents for SureFire.

And, of course, this goes for any other manufacturer, too.
I'm not just pickin' on SureFire here.

After all, NObody is harder to please than WE are !

:whistle:

(NDA lawyers are now standing by)

_

GPB

Enlightened

remember that kid in high school who spent all day in the gym and was HUGE ? He was always bragging about how much weight he could lift and who he could beat up ? He was a powerhouse and when he did anything to his full ability it was an impressive display....but he bragged so much his credibility was suspect, and you wouldn't believe anything until you actually saw it........

Surefire is a lot like that guy.

P61L, Invictus, Optimus, Aluminum Titan, Etc..........

BigD64

Enlightened

Surefire released the original Titan before rigorous testing. They have spent a lot of money repairing them on warranty. This was for a small number of lights. Before mass producing a couple hundred thousand they want to be damn sure they are "bulletproof". No sense releasing a light if it's gonna bankrupt your company repairing them.

Phredd

Enlightened

This would help reduce (i'm not saying eliminate)
such embarrassing incidents for SureFire.

Outside of CPF, I don't think anyone is reporting that Surefire almost shipped the T1A with bad electronics. So, having CPF'ers test (and talk about) the T1A would probably emphasize, not eliminate, embarrassment.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seeing it now on their web ite sure is encouraging. This would lead one to think that it is very close to release. I just don't get how they ever put it in their 2008 calender.

I have high hopes for this light and hope that the bugs are all worked out. The recent circuit discovery is not too reassuring though. We shall see.