Deciding between L2D and P3D

777qqq

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]I've narrowed my flashlight choices down to the Fenix L2D and Fenix P3D. The L2D takes two AAs, and the P3D takes two CR123s. I want to use the flashlight for general use around the home and camping in good weather. I refuse to use non-rechargeable batteries. I've read that rechargeable CR123 batteries have problems like small capacity; they may not work in all flashlights, etc. Are CR123 rechargeables inferior to rechargeable AAs? If I want to use only rechargeable batteries which flashlight is a better choice? I already have rechargeable AAs and a battery charger for them, but I don't believe it's compatible with CR123s. Thanks for any replies. [/FONT]

jankj

Enlightened
Kudos for starting a purchase with battery considerations! :twothumbs

No, AA and RCR123 / CR123 are not interchangeable, neither in charger nor in the flashlight. And that is not only because of the size. . .

The RCR123 have a higher voltage than AA because the chemicals are totally different. There are several chemistries for the RCR123, but they all involve lithium and are rated at 3.7 volts or thereabouts. Today, the most used rechargeable AA batteries are based on nikkel-metal hybrid (nimh) and are rated at 1.2 volts.

Since the voltage is different the rated mAh capacity shouldn't be compared directly. To compare you would have to calculate the watthours, which is the correct measure of the amount of electric energy in your battery (such as 900mAh*3.7v = 3.3watt hours; 2700mAh*1.2v = 3.2 watt hours - not really that different). But also other characteristics are important - such as the ability to deliver a high current without sagging too much in voltage, and self discharge (I.e: How long can the light sit unused before the batteries are dead?). If you want the brightest possible light in the smallest possible package then lithium based batteries is the way to go.

In everyday life (real life?), other factors are just as important. AA are found everywhere, RC123 are found either at a high price locally or you buy them online. Rechargeable lithiums (RCR123) have some security issues you should be aware of. (This shouldn't be a problem if you use high quality protected cells and a good charger and pay a little attention to what you are doing). Use the search function to find more info about this.

Either way, I'm sure you will be satisfied with both L2D and P3D. Personally, I'd stick with the AA format and get myself some low self discharge nimh batteries.

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
IMHO get the L2D/LD20 if the larger size doesn't matter. It's easier and cheaper with AA rechargeable battery's, preferable Sanyo Eneloops.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get an L2D and a P2D body, then you have the option of 2xAA or 1xCR123. In P2D form it's very compact and pocket sized, and in L2D form uses common AA's.

kenL

Newly Enlightened
For starter you should consider the L2D. It is perfect for all around use.

Spence

Enlightened
First off, I have both L2D and P3D and I just bought the LD20, PD20 and PD30 and have an LD10 body tube coming (1 X AA). For your purposes, my advice is buy the LD20 or L2D and get the PD20 body for it when you feel like you want it to use 1 X CR123 or 3.0v RCR123. The LD20 (newer version of L2D) should be plenty powerful for your needs and has a good runtime. It's longer and heavier than the P3D/PD30, but it's no big deal since you're not backpacking with it and watching every gram of weight. I have plenty of good to say about the PD30, it's a powerful little light, but you're already set-up for rechargeable AA's, and that saves you money, pal. You have half the battle won by selecting Fenix, they are a good company with good products/high performance lights. Good luck.:poke:lovecpf:thumbsup:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like an easy decision. Since you want it for general stuff, and want to use rechargeables the L2D is your best bet between these two.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's any help, I'm still using my original L2D-CE which I bought 2 years ago. It's my go to light for many purposes. Mostly I use it nightly on my bicycle commute home from work.

I don't think you could go wrong with either light, but with one of the Fenix 2xAA lights you can use rechargeable cells easily AND you can always find AA alkaline batteries to use if you need to, pretty much anywhere in the world.