Streamlight 1 L question.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that the 1L uses three leds. I assume that they are the 5mm variety. I wonder how much less of an energy draw they are then a Luxeon light. I end up with lots of half used 123's. I wonder if this light is a good way to finish off my batteries.

paulr

Flashaholic
If it's unregulated it might not do so well with a diminished voltage battery, especially with white leds. If they make a yellow-led version you might go for that instead. Typically they'd run those led's at 20-30 ma, which means maybe 70 ma total, about 1/5th of what a 1W Luxeon light would use. You would get some output trailing off over a long time.

Are these half-used 123's coming from a Surefire or something? I'd expect regulated LED lights do a good job of draining them. In particular your Micropuck-powered mini-light (do you have it yet?) should do real well on them.

paulr

Flashaholic
Well, if you have an Arc LS you could try the half-used batteries in it... unless they're coming from an LS...

wwglen

Enlightened
I am a new new member.

From reading these posts over the past week especially about the Streamlight Task Lights.

I then ordered a one Lithium and a 3-AA from Bright Guy. They are due in first of June of course.

Imagine my suprise when I went into a local sporting good store and they had lots of 2-D, 3-AA, and 1-L Twin Task light in stock. I decided to get the one Lithium version for $23+

I like it a lot but you have to consider that my scorpion is my most expensive light at $38.

Now to answer your questions and to give a quick review.

I tried the light at work and the Xenon part seemed a little orange. I got out the multimeter and the battery that came with it was running at 2.93 volts. I checked a partially used cell from the Scorpion and it was running at 3.1 volts. I placed the cell from the Scorpion and the Xeon light was now white.

Brightness of the 1L is about the same as my 2-D Mag light with a Halagon PR2 bulb but is a lot more useable. Bigger and purer beam.

LED aspect:
My previous LED light for comparision are a Brinkman Rebel, the Dorcy 4-AA Cool blue and a No-Name water resistant headlamp from Wal-Mart.

The three LEDs that have a obvious but slight blueish tint to them. The brightness is close to the Rebel but greatly wider flood type beam. The light is difinattly less bright than the cool blue but had a drastically wider beam. The side beam (large circle around the hot spot) is about the same size as the cool blue but about 2/3 of the prightness.

I have decided to try a simi burn test for the LED side only. Using the supplied battery that was already partially used I ran the light about 6 hours so far. The LED beam still seemed brught and very usuable. I tried the xenon lamp and got nothing out of it. The voltage on the battery was 2.36V.

I place in a new Surefire Battery and the LEDs with the new batterys are about twice as bright.

I plan to continue running the LED with the old battery for a couple hours each night until I decide the LED brightness is unusuable.

I know that this is unsientific but I was still getting VERY usefull LED light at 2.36V when there was NO xenon light coming out.

I think that this is going to become my Everyday Carry Light.

wwglen

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome WWGLEN, what can I say...great review. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kodiak

Enlightened
WWGLEN: I really liked that review. Now if you'll only disclose where the said item was found. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, what store did you find the Streamlights in?

Let us in on this and you will be more than welcome here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pat

wwglen

Enlightened
A place called Neuse Sport Shop. It is one of the Landmarks in Kinston NC on US70 heading toward the beach. Right next to the other landmark... Kings Barbecue"

wwglen

wwglen

Enlightened
Well I left the Light on for 2-3 more hours. When I remembered to look at it the LEDs were still glowing but VERY dim.

I took it into the dark bathroom and did not give myself time go get used to the dark. The light was still visible, about like my mini mag light with 2-AA driving a old no-name white LED. You could barely use it to see to walk around inside in the total dark or to look at a fuze/control/switch setting at 1-2 feet.

At this time I considered the light coming out to be un-useable. I checked the battery voltage and got 1.03 volts.

So basically:

3.1 Volts -- Very good slight blue LED light -- Very White 2-D level xenon light

2.9 Volts -- Very good LED light Bright but slightly orange xenon

2.36 Volts -- about 6 hours after 2.9 volts -- Useable LED light (about 1/2 full level). NO xenon

1.03 Volt -- About 2-3 hours after 2.36 Volts -- VERY dim LED light -- I consider unusable unless nothing else and very close.

wwglen

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's right! We want photos of these new flashlights next to flashlight was can relate to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wwglen

Enlightened
Here are some pictures.

The three flashlights are:

Brinkamn LX, Streamlight 1-L, Scorpion

This is my first attempt to post a picture so I hope it works.

Well it didn't work so if anyone wants me to E-Mail the pictures and have them post it let me know.

wwglen

kodiak

Enlightened
Does anyone know where to order a 1L on the net (that have them in stock)? I went to Brightguy.com, but it said: comming soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I want one now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

wwglen

Enlightened
I would say to check your local Streamlight dealership or Independent Sporting good store that sales Streamlight.

That is where I found mine.

wwglen

emitter

Newly Enlightened
www.action-lights.com edit: *will* have them in June... (just read the fine print) for $20.97. Thanks for the review! Streamlight seems to be a fan of direct drive, but i wonder if this light does have boost circuitry on the LED's? I doubt it but then i've been wanting to try out the Zetex boost circuit. If i end up getting one i'll do some comparative beamshots and glamour photos.

-ned