Is the fenix TK20 worth it? Compared to L2D?

jankj

Enlightened
I'd really appreciate some help from those who own both a fenix TK20 and L2D / LD20. Oh yes, I've read reviews and the lux comparisons at lightreviews.com, but I can't really relate those numbers to real world experience. That's why I need your help! :thinking:

Scenario: You are out in the woods and want to check distant objects, see where the trail goes and so forth. Is the TK20 substantial better or worse than L2D / LD20 for this task, or is it really not that much of a difference?

According to lux readings the TK20 should throw further. Also, the tint should be more favorable in the outdoors. Is this so? I know the tint question is at least partially a matter of personal preference - I'd like the opinion of those who'd tried both of these lights.

Does the TK20 throw further? Is this a useful increase of how far away you can see stuff, or is it just a marginally improvement? IMO, putting a barely visible blob of light on something is really not that helpfull if you can't really see what's there.

The reason I'm asking is that I really like the shape of the L2D / LD20, but I'd like to see a bit further. The TK20 may or may not be just the improvement I want, but I do know that if it not really that much of a difference then it will be a wasted buy.

Glock27

Enlightened
The TK20 throws better than the L2D, but not by a great deal when comparing outdoors....but I much prefer the warm tint of the much heavier TK20. I'd like to see Fenix come out with an XP-E Q4-5A (don't think they're making them yet) in the L2D/ LD20 platform.

G27

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix TK20 review:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212657

And yes, I have L2D, and I prefer TK20 for outdoor, due to it´s throw and tint. The only "issue" is the beam is really focused, so if you need spill for short distances, I recommend take other light with you, together with TK20 (like I do).

I love my TK20. Best 2xAA ever, IMHO!

:thumbsup:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK20 will no doubt allow you to see more distant objects than the L2D, as it's beam is more focused. I think the biggest difference between the two is tint. The TK20 is hands down the better light for outdoors. Just go ahead and pull the trigger on one, you won't be sorry!

jankj

Enlightened
Thanks a lot, you've convinced me. Nothing beats learning from others real world use experience lovecpf

tygger

Enlightened
Congratulations. You'll definitely be impressed with the runtime on "low" which is really bright enough for most tasks and throws quite well.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations. You'll definitely be impressed with the runtime on "low" which is really bright enough for most tasks and throws quite well.

+1

Yesterday I was in my ranch, and was amazed how TK20 "low" mode is bright enough for most tasks!

Mikellen

Enlightened
Another option would be an EagleTac P10A2 with Q3 5A emitter. I just purchased one from Pacific Tactical Solutions. The EagleTac P10A is warm tinted (neutral emitter option) like the TK20 and also slimmer and lighter in weight.
Although the TK20 is a great light, I had one but sold it due to the weight of the flashlight and size of the head.
You can check out the EagleTac P10A2 with the warm emitter at WWW.PacificTacticalSolutions.com
If you create an account and mention that you are a CandlePowerForums member you will receive a discount.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I have the LD20, TK20 and the EagleTac P100a2. The TK20 will out throw the LD20 but the LD20 is very bright and has a holster making it easier for me to carry. Now if I am car camping the TK20 would be with me as well. The run time on both is great for AA cells.

The P100a2 really throws bright (not as far as the TK20) about the same distance as the LD20. But the run time is not good and no holster. All three are good lights.