Homemade HID dive light

S

scuba40steve

Hi, I want to try a project to make a HID dive light, the waterproof(ness) is not a problem but does anyone have any info about the circuits, or components to match together?
Ideally I would like a burn time of 40min+ & as bright as possible.
Thanks in advance for you help...

paulr

Flashaholic
Well, there's some Solarc kits, that's basically what the UKE LC100 uses. If you want something brighter maybe you can start with an automotive HID lamp/ballast assembly.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
A safety consideration you need to keep in mind is the possibility of hydrogen gas in the case 'blowing up' with a spark from the switch.

As I understand it, severely abused alkaline cells (like getting a used one in a bank of new ones and rapidly reverse charging it with the high currents involved) have been known to do this. Dive light makers, I'm told, have included catalyst pellets to combine the free hydrogen with oxygen present in the case and make water vapor to remove the threat for the past 25 years or so. This is what makes the rattling noise in the Streamilght and PT dive lights.

For sure lead acid cells will have this threat.

Now that's I've been 'clued in' to this, I find them in all the 'dive lights' I have.

Word to the wise?

Doug Owen