Want new led

BigBo

Newly Enlightened
I have a few G2`s. they go through batteries pretty fast. I have handled the Fenix ???20(gray handle). Nice, kinda big compared to the G2. Would I be better of with an LED flashlight that uses AA batteries or the cr123`s? Could you advise me on a good pair of flashlights? AA and cr123. I live on an acre and it gets very dark when I am out in the back.

Thank you.

Toaster

Enlightened
Well generally speaking a 2xCR123 powered light is going to have higher output and longer runtimes in a shorter form factor than a 2xAA powered light. So if that's an important criteria then stick with CR123s. If operating costs are a concern, then pick up a light that can use both li-on rechargeables and CR123s. If you want specific recommendations, then tell us how much you're looking to spend and what you want to use the light for.

BigBo

Newly Enlightened
Under $75, general use around the property, in home to blind a bad guy(hope it never comes to that), carry with me sometimes. I want something bright.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You saw the Fenix TK20, like this one. It's a pretty large 2 AA light because of the reflector, the grip, and that it's designed to be tougher.

What price, output, throw, beampattern, size, etc. are you looking for?

AAs are easier to find but CR123 lights can be smaller.

:welcome:

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
if i were you i'd go cr123's.
size, output, and runtimes are very noticeable between the two type batteries. with cr123's having the upper hand.

i like shorter chunkier brighter lights over longer skinnier ones... and not as bright.

Last edited:

jankj

Enlightened
What kind of battery do you use? I would suggest feeding the TK20 with low self discharge nihm. Buy some sanyo eneloop batteries and a charger. You should see a marked increase in performance compared to alikaline or regular nihm batteries (unless you "excercise" those nimh batteries regulary).

With CR123's you can certainly get brighter lights in a very small package, but I think it will be very though getting something small that actually will throw longer than your TK20. You need a pretty big head for that. On the other hand you will get a more "floody" beam and basically lit up everything between yourself and as as that light will reach. If powerful enough, this light may or may not reach as far as the TK20, and this may or may not work better for you than the TK20. The only real way of finding out is try it in practice.

Another factor is the color of the light. In TK20, the LED is designed with a warmer color that most people seem to prefer in natural environments. This comes at a price - those LEDs are not as efficient as "colder" leds. So you have a choice between slightly less light with a "warmer" color and a far reaching hot spot (TK20) or slightly more light with a "colder" color and larger, but not as far-reaching hot spot (almost every small other quality light). Some people at CPF claim that the far-reaching hot spot and nice colors of the TK20 makes it a better choice for outdoor use than more powerfull "cold color" lights.

Also, consider the fenix LD10 (1 AA battery) or LD20 (2*AA). They are much thinner and lighter, which makes them much more comfortable to carry in a pocket.That way you can keep all your lights on the same battery plattform (AA). They are certainly bright enough for almost every task you can put a light to (except lit up things beyond 100 yards), but of course the same brightness or more comes in even smaller packages with CR123s . . .

Please do post your decision and your experience here! I'm going the other direction (I am considering buying TK20), and would very much like to know your experiences. :wave:

Last edited:

BigBo

Newly Enlightened
I would like a light that is as bright or brighter than my 5 cell Maglight, or as bright as the G2. Something small, TK20, LD10, LD20?

Last edited:

Turbo Guy

Enlightened
TerraLux LightStar EX.

Rated 100 Lumen on low and 220 on high.30 to $40 depending on vendor.

I have two of these one for my EDC and one that sets on the kitchen counter close to the back door and it officialy belongs to my wife.
OK they are luck of the draw tint wise one being purpleish and one being greenish. Both on high draw 900 mA using 2 Sanyo Eneloops(AA). One draw 110 mA on low and the other 250 mAh on low and yes very noticeable difference in output on low. I prefer the 110 mAm low output one for most uses and it is still many times brighter than an 2AA LED Mini Mag.

How do they compare to a higher quality AA LED flashlight? Well I have a Eagle Tac P10A2 which is a very nice light ,cost more and is rated 220 Hi and 60 low. It draws 1,500 mAh Hi and 250 mAh low. It is really no brighter or throws no further on high and the low power setting is not enough of a difference to matter. P10A2 has a greenish tint also.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2895231&postcount=17

Last edited:

BigBo

Newly Enlightened
thanks all. I am ordering a Fenix TK10, found one at a good price.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of battery do you use? I would suggest feeding the TK20 with low self discharge nihm. Buy some sanyo eneloop batteries and a charger. You should see a marked increase in performance compared to alikaline or regular nihm batteries (unless you "excercise" those nimh batteries regulary).

With CR123's you can certainly get brighter lights in a very small package, but I think it will be very though getting something small that actually will throw longer than your TK20. You need a pretty big head for that. On the other hand you will get a more "floody" beam and basically lit up everything between yourself and as as that light will reach. If powerful enough, this light may or may not reach as far as the TK20, and this may or may not work better for you than the TK20. The only real way of finding out is try it in practice.

Another factor is the color of the light. In TK20, the LED is designed with a warmer color that most people seem to prefer in natural environments. This comes at a price - those LEDs are not as efficient as "colder" leds. So you have a choice between slightly less light with a "warmer" color and a far reaching hot spot (TK20) or slightly more light with a "colder" color and larger, but not as far-reaching hot spot (almost every small other quality light). Some people at CPF claim that the far-reaching hot spot and nice colors of the TK20 makes it a better choice for outdoor use than more powerfull "cold color" lights.

Also, consider the fenix LD10 (1 AA battery) or LD20 (2*AA). They are much thinner and lighter, which makes them much more comfortable to carry in a pocket.That way you can keep all your lights on the same battery plattform (AA). They are certainly bright enough for almost every task you can put a light to (except lit up things beyond 100 yards), but of course the same brightness or more comes in even smaller packages with CR123s . . .

Please do post your decision and your experience here! I'm going the other direction (I am considering buying TK20), and would very much like to know your experiences. :wave:

I agree in your advices.

About NiMh batteries I have experienced that it will not need many weeks and they will be self discharged. LSD cells certainly is a good idea though not really the same total energy.

Regards, Patric

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Sorry that I'm late to the party, but I gather that you were ruling out a nice LED drop-in for one of your G2's? The Malkoff's are quite nice, and you can change them in & out of some of the other SF hosts if you upgrade. The are very friendly to LiIon rechargeables as well. Thought I might have missed something, as nobody else suggested them as an alternative. Upgrading the G2's with LED drop-ins is pretty popular around here.

Last edited:

BigBo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all, did not know about he coupons, I would like to get more info on the LED drop-ins.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Although with G2 you are limited in your choice due to the plastic body doesn't conduct heat well and cook the higher output drop ins.
Regarding heat issues, since you probably have the plastic bezel as well as the plastic body, you're limited to the ~140 lumen M60L in the Malkoff line as a maximum. Still a great option, the regulated runtime for this is in the ~4 hour range.