Predicted throw of EagleTac M2X

Dole

Newly Enlightened
Any ideas... Seems like the 3x R2 setup might get a little floody.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I'm skeptical of the throw...only because of the small reflectors.

Yes, there are 3 of them, and each emitter is putting out around 260 lumens....so that would be like (3) TK11's all aiming at the same spot?

Should make for some decent throw....but I'm still skeptical. I'd like to see some beamshots.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
It won't be more focused, but it will be brighter. This is more useful in my opinion. I would rather have a larger spot than a smaller slightly brighter one. It is way more practical than a pencil thin beam for actual use.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
It won't be more focused, but it will be brighter. This is more useful in my opinion. I would rather have a larger spot than a smaller slightly brighter one. It is way more practical than a pencil thin beam for actual use.

These days with the LEDs being so bright, even a "pencil" beam will yield spill that is easily as bright as the earlier Luxeon's hotspot. I do agree that the beam put out by smaller reflectors seem more useful for regular use, but I won't say that a larger reflectored's beam isn't useful either.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I think it'll be a nice beam but I hesitate to classify it as a thrower.

I know it's not a flooder but at that reflector size X3 I feel it'll end up as a more utility type. Good throw but not all throw and certainly not beating out any existing single emitter in a large reflector.

Now open this head up and stick in 3 aspherical lenses and line them up properly and you ought to have a real throw machine.

I like it in it's stock form, good for alot of tasks. I am looking at this light thinking it will be my "ranch gun".

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm skeptical of the throw...only because of the small reflectors.

Yes, there are 3 of them, and each emitter is putting out around 260 lumens....so that would be like (3) TK11's all aiming at the same spot?

Should make for some decent throw....but I'm still skeptical. I'd like to see some beamshots.

Are you sure they're using reflectors for the M2X?

The 3X Cree should out throw the P7 version by a bit from everything that I've figured out.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm expecting a cool white hot spot with enough spill for good use. Somewhat like Solarforce T700. Check out the level 8 of this monster.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Are you sure they're using reflectors for the M2X?

The 3X Cree should out throw the P7 version by a bit from everything that I've figured out.

They sure are...3 reflectors. It out throws it's P7 sister ship by 200% according to Eagletac. Does this mean it will be a "thrower?" By a CPFers definition I highly doubt it. Even a Mac Scepter with 7 Crees isn't even a "thrower" strictly speaking.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
They sure are...3 reflectors. It out throws it's P7 sister ship by 200% according to Eagletac. Does this mean it will be a "thrower?" By a CPFers definition I highly doubt it. Even a Mac Scepter with 7 Crees isn't even a "thrower" strictly speaking.

I still haven't seen any proof they're using reflectors for the tri-cree. Seen a picture of it yet that I haven't? :thinking:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was mentioned in thread in MP that each LED has 1 inch reflector (that overlap each other a bit).

I think it'll be a very good all around performer, a super thrower is too specialized to be useful IMO.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm expecting a cool white hot spot with enough spill for good use. Somewhat like Solarforce T700. Check out the level 8 of this monster.

Yes, that is very good point. I have T700 and it easily outthrows any other SSC P7/Cree MC-E production light. And has no donut hole too.

I think that Eagletac with Cree R2 and smooth overlapping reflectors may reach 25k lux. And that is definitelly thrower for me ;)

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted in the CPFMP:

EagleTac should be able to provide some comparison beam shots between the different versions by now. I have to believe the final production model prototypes are completed. I ordered a TriCree model myself and I would be kind of pissed off if it only threw marginally better than the P7 model or else why give up the brightness.

So come on ET, phone home some photos.
poke2.gif

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a specs pic for you guys. I'm curious about the throw difference as well... I can't wait to get 'em in! :candle: And yes, the M2X does use 3 reflectors, in a blended/overlapping design. Also, some have wondered about the bin of LED's used in the warm version of the M2X... it uses the Q3 bin, the highest bin that the warm tints are available in now. The cool tint version does use R2's.

eagletacm2m2xdimensions.jpg

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
If it helps any, you can compare the difference between the Lumapower MVP TurboForce (P7) with their MVP 3xCree in my review thread here: Lumapower MVP TurboForce P7 Review - BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, and more!

As you can see there, at 10 meters out, there was not a significant difference in lux measures between the two MVPs.

But of course, a lot will come down to how well Eagletac has designed their respective reflector systems. Note that the MVP 3xCree uses three distinct reflectors. To compare it with the cheaply-made Conqueror (which uses a blended reflector), see my original MVP 3xCree review. Not sure if that's really a fair comparison, but I would think that a blended reflector may not throw quite as far as three independent ones.

Of course, if Eagletac would like to send me samples to review, I'd be happy to check that out for everyone ... :whistle:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
but I would think that a blended reflector may not throw quite as far as three independent ones.

My experience is opposite :) Three blended smooth reflectors throws better than three smooth independent reflectors. :D

bioman

Newly Enlightened
Well they are marketing the M2x as the thrower and the M2 as a flooder. But some CPF's are saying that a single led should out throw the triple combination?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well they are marketing the M2x as the thrower and the M2 as a flooder. But some CPF's are saying that a single led should out throw the triple combination?

EagleTac is saying that between the two, the M2X has more throw and the M2 has more flood. When dealing with multi-emitter lights (M2X) and multi-die lights (M2), you will typically see less throw than a single-die emitter in a big reflector... such as an R2 based thrower. However, the multi-emitter/multi-die based lights will put put out lots more overall output.. just won't shine as far. They will light up EVERYTHING though within their range. :faint: