The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Predicted throw of EagleTac M2X

Default Predicted throw of EagleTac M2X

Any ideas... Seems like the 3x R2 setup might get a little floody.

Default Re: Predicted throw of EagleTac M2X

I'm skeptical of the throw...only because of the small reflectors.

Yes, there are 3 of them, and each emitter is putting out around 260 lumens....so that would be like (3) TK11's all aiming at the same spot?

Should make for some decent throw....but I'm still skeptical. I'd like to see some beamshots.
    My Sunlite Reviews: 8wFP, 16wFP, FP80, 8w Utility Head, Slim Jr., Slim2.
    My "High Output Thrower" Review

It won't be more focused, but it will be brighter. This is more useful in my opinion. I would rather have a larger spot than a smaller slightly brighter one. It is way more practical than a pencil thin beam for actual use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    It won't be more focused, but it will be brighter. This is more useful in my opinion. I would rather have a larger spot than a smaller slightly brighter one. It is way more practical than a pencil thin beam for actual use.
    These days with the LEDs being so bright, even a "pencil" beam will yield spill that is easily as bright as the earlier Luxeon's hotspot. I do agree that the beam put out by smaller reflectors seem more useful for regular use, but I won't say that a larger reflectored's beam isn't useful either.

I think it'll be a nice beam but I hesitate to classify it as a thrower.

I know it's not a flooder but at that reflector size X3 I feel it'll end up as a more utility type. Good throw but not all throw and certainly not beating out any existing single emitter in a large reflector.

Now open this head up and stick in 3 aspherical lenses and line them up properly and you ought to have a real throw machine.

I like it in it's stock form, good for alot of tasks. I am looking at this light thinking it will be my "ranch gun".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanrpm View Post
    I'm skeptical of the throw...only because of the small reflectors.

Yes, there are 3 of them, and each emitter is putting out around 260 lumens....so that would be like (3) TK11's all aiming at the same spot?

Should make for some decent throw....but I'm still skeptical. I'd like to see some beamshots.
    Are you sure they're using reflectors for the M2X?

The 3X Cree should out throw the P7 version by a bit from everything that I've figured out.
    1) Neutral white, it's the new black. Heck, it's not even "new" anymore.
    2) User Interface... KISS.
    3) Proprietary cells and battery packs - Just say NO!

I'm expecting a cool white hot spot with enough spill for good use. Somewhat like Solarforce T700. Check out the level 8 of this monster.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoton View Post
    Are you sure they're using reflectors for the M2X?

The 3X Cree should out throw the P7 version by a bit from everything that I've figured out.

They sure are...3 reflectors. It out throws it's P7 sister ship by 200% according to Eagletac. Does this mean it will be a "thrower?" By a CPFers definition I highly doubt it. Even a Mac Scepter with 7 Crees isn't even a "thrower" strictly speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    They sure are...3 reflectors. It out throws it's P7 sister ship by 200% according to Eagletac. Does this mean it will be a "thrower?" By a CPFers definition I highly doubt it. Even a Mac Scepter with 7 Crees isn't even a "thrower" strictly speaking.
    I still haven't seen any proof they're using reflectors for the tri-cree. Seen a picture of it yet that I haven't?
    1) Neutral white, it's the new black. Heck, it's not even "new" anymore.
    2) User Interface... KISS.
    3) Proprietary cells and battery packs - Just say NO!

Flashaholic*

It was mentioned in thread in MP that each LED has 1 inch reflector (that overlap each other a bit).

I think it'll be a very good all around performer, a super thrower is too specialized to be useful IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoton View Post
    I still haven't seen any proof they're using reflectors for the tri-cree. Seen a picture of it yet that I haven't?
    Picture, no. Technical drawing, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post
    I'm expecting a cool white hot spot with enough spill for good use. Somewhat like Solarforce T700. Check out the level 8 of this monster.
    Yes, that is very good point. I have T700 and it easily outthrows any other SSC P7/Cree MC-E production light. And has no donut hole too.

I think that Eagletac with Cree R2 and smooth overlapping reflectors may reach 25k lux. And that is definitelly thrower for me

As posted in the CPFMP:

EagleTac should be able to provide some comparison beam shots between the different versions by now. I have to believe the final production model prototypes are completed. I ordered a TriCree model myself and I would be kind of pissed off if it only threw marginally better than the P7 model or else why give up the brightness.

So come on ET, phone home some photos.

Flashaholic*

Here's a specs pic for you guys. I'm curious about the throw difference as well... I can't wait to get 'em in! And yes, the M2X does use 3 reflectors, in a blended/overlapping design. Also, some have wondered about the bin of LED's used in the warm version of the M2X... it uses the Q3 bin, the highest bin that the warm tints are available in now. The cool tint version does use R2's.

Last edited by FlashCrazy; 04-02-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    FlashCrazy's FlashlightConnection.com! 5% Coupon code: CPF

M2X is slightly shorter. Goodie.

If it helps any, you can compare the difference between the Lumapower MVP TurboForce (P7) with their MVP 3xCree in my review thread here: Lumapower MVP TurboForce P7 Review - BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, and more!

As you can see there, at 10 meters out, there was not a significant difference in lux measures between the two MVPs.

But of course, a lot will come down to how well Eagletac has designed their respective reflector systems. Note that the MVP 3xCree uses three distinct reflectors. To compare it with the cheaply-made Conqueror (which uses a blended reflector), see my original MVP 3xCree review. Not sure if that's really a fair comparison, but I would think that a blended reflector may not throw quite as far as three independent ones.

Of course, if Eagletac would like to send me samples to review, I'd be happy to check that out for everyone ...
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    but I would think that a blended reflector may not throw quite as far as three independent ones.
    My experience is opposite Three blended smooth reflectors throws better than three smooth independent reflectors.

Well they are marketing the M2x as the thrower and the M2 as a flooder. But some CPF's are saying that a single led should out throw the triple combination?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Well they are marketing the M2x as the thrower and the M2 as a flooder. But some CPF's are saying that a single led should out throw the triple combination?
    EagleTac is saying that between the two, the M2X has more throw and the M2 has more flood. When dealing with multi-emitter lights (M2X) and multi-die lights (M2), you will typically see less throw than a single-die emitter in a big reflector... such as an R2 based thrower. However, the multi-emitter/multi-die based lights will put put out lots more overall output.. just won't shine as far. They will light up EVERYTHING though within their range.
    FlashCrazy's FlashlightConnection.com! 5% Coupon code: CPF

Flashaholic*

Wonder will the P7 have that nasty center dark spot...

So the M2X uses reflectors, not focusing optics? how can they "blend" the reflectors and sill get an even beam pattern for each individual LED?

Quote Originally Posted by jirik_cz View Post
    My experience is opposite Three blended smooth reflectors throws better than three smooth independent reflectors.

I've never seen this to be the case but an example to your theory would help.

bioman
    EagleTac is not advertising the M2X as a "thrower" and why would it be? No other multi-led, multi-reflector LED light, including customs are known as thowers. They're all medium flood lights.

dealgrabber2002
    Wonder will the P7 have that nasty center dark spot...
    Chances are it will. It's a P7 behind a reflector so there's really no way around that. Depending on the amount of texturing on the reflector it can be minimized quite a bit.

Mjolnir
    So the M2X uses reflectors, not focusing optics? how can they "blend" the reflectors and sill get an even beam pattern for each individual LED?
    They can't. It's not going to be perfectly symmetrical but considering that each reflect appear to be about 80% round, the pattern shouldn't be too bad either. As evidenced above in Selfbuilt's link to his review, even 3 full reflectors cause and asymmetrical beam up close. The further the beam is shined the less appearent the effect it.

EagleTac may not have title it a "Thrower", but they sure want us to beleive that it will throw!

Here is their quote from the selling site:

M2XC4
    • Monster Throw light with Medium Flood Performance
    • 800 LED Lumen Constant Brightness Output
    • Available in Two Configurations
      • Triple CREE R2 XR‐E Cool White LED
      • Triple CREE Q3 XR‐E Neutral White LED
    • Tri‐ET28 Aluminum Optical Reflector in Smooth finish

Hey, I'm all for throw.....but like everyone else...I'm awaiting beamshots...
    My Sunlite Reviews: 8wFP, 16wFP, FP80, 8w Utility Head, Slim Jr., Slim2.
    My "High Output Thrower" Review

Flashaholic*

I think the hotspot size will be on par with T10C2, since both use 1 inch reflector, and the smooth reflector will perhaps make up for the missing sections. So bundle 3 T10C2 together with rubber bands it'll be what M2X can do.

Regardless of how "throwy" it is, it will still output a lot of light. It also seems to have a good UI with a good balance of modes, and good battery options. It sounds like it is going to be a pretty useful light either way.

I've never seen this to be the case but an example to your theory would help.
    Check outdoor beamshots in my signature Solarforce T700 has three blended reflectors (I measured 22000 lux) and Lumapower MVP has three separate reflectors (I measured 15000 lux). Both lights should have 700 lumens... The other example is Wolf-Eyes Storm (780lm) it has three separate OP reflectors and doesn't throw very well, it has only around 10k lux with my luxmeter.

EagleTac is not advertising the M2X as a "thrower" and why would it be? No other multi-led, multi-reflector LED light, including customs are known as thowers. They're all medium flood lights.
    So, do you think that the P7 M2 will be more of a thrower than the M2x?

Flashaholic

What is the possibility of swapping the XR-E emitters in the M2X with MC-E emitters? Would this up the output? Would the donuts of the multiple emitters cancel each other out?
    "he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me"
    ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    So, do you think that the P7 M2 will be more of a thrower than the M2x?

No sir, just the opposite. The M2X might approach double the Lux. The P7 will probably be quite the flood light.

Quote Originally Posted by jirik_cz View Post
    Check outdoor beamshots in my signature Solarforce T700 has three blended reflectors (I measured 22000 lux) and Lumapower MVP has three separate reflectors (I measured 15000 lux). Both lights should have 700 lumens... The other example is Wolf-Eyes Storm (780lm) it has three separate OP reflectors and doesn't throw very well, it has only around 10k lux with my luxmeter.

Good example between the T700 and MVP and I do see your point. It would also be important of course that the reflectors were roughly the same depth and diameter since variances could be responsible for differences. Also, it would be good to know with a light box measurement if they were each close to 700 lumens.

I'd probably have to toss out the Storm simply because it's using OP reflectors which are just too dissimilar imo.

Thanks Jirik.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast