Newer Malkoff M60's

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I just received my second M60 from Gene's newer run of the M60, the non-hand engraved units. This newer one that I just received approximately 1 week ago is much different. The build is definitely the same solid construction and excellent heat sinking that we are accustomed to from Malkoff drop-ins. The quality of the light is much different. This production line M60 as compared to my last production line M60 is much warmer than the last, which was considerably much cooler. I really don't care either way in regards to the cooler or warmer. But the hot spot appears very yellow and with a large void. All of my other M60's produce a very solid, very bright hot spot with good spill for room clearing. This particular drop-in does not. I know that with anything in production there can and will be abnormalities. I'm just curious if you all have noticed any changes in quality. This is by no means a slam on Gene because I use his drop-ins and his only! This is just a major difference in appearance from my others. I already sent Gene an e-mail to hopefully get an exchange. I will try to post some pics later.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
More than likely it's just the LED lottery coming into play. I am sure Gene will make things right with you, since his customer service is one of the best in the business!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Policetacteam, get ahold of Gene pronto. If you need better in your business, then don't waste time with us. Also, best to complain to the maker before bringing up your issue with the rest of CPF.

Bill

Last edited:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I completely agree with you on the customer service. Gene is the best in the business which is why his business is taking off! But I bet with as many drop-ins that are being produced, trying to fill the high demand, it would be difficult to Q/C every drop-in that leaves the plant. Keep in mind that by no means is this drop-in a dud or all that terrible. Compared to several other cheaper drop-ins this would still be a quality drop-in. Its just not what I'm used to from Malkoff drop-ins. Hopefully the next one will look more up to par!

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Bulzeyebill,

Again,

This thread was not started out as a complaint but rather out of curiosity if this problem has been observed by others.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, a question for others who use M60s: mine has a very spotlight-ish hotspot, and a 'bullseye' pattern, with the spill falling off in distinct bands of brightness. Is this normal for the hand-assembled modules?

Mind you, this is a white-wall hunting issue; in the yard, the beam is perfect, but up against a screen, it's a close second to my Inova XOr and Ra Twisty ( :D ) instead of the definition of perfection.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, a question for others who use M60s: mine has a very spotlight-ish hotspot, and a 'bullseye' pattern, with the spill falling off in distinct bands of brightness. Is this normal for the hand-assembled modules?

Mind you, this is a white-wall hunting issue; in the yard, the beam is perfect, but up against a screen, it's a close second to my Inova XOr and Ra Twisty ( :D ) instead of the definition of perfection.

That sounds normal to me. My original M60 is the same way, and it doesn't bother either.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Some of my Malkoff's have a very small doughnut in the hotspot and some don't.

I have not given it much thought but I guess if you could slightly adjust the optic, either in or out, that would help you with your unit's void.

Gene43

Enlightened
I didn't get your email. It does sound like a Cree lottery thing. Get in touch with me (call or email), I'll be happy to exchange it for you.

Thanks, Gene

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive have two M60's and had one M30, and all have a slight donut in the hotspot. It is not a complete dark spot, just a portion in the center of the hotspot that is a little less bright. I find it a little irritating. My newer M60's are noticeably warmer when paired up with the older. Malkoffs are still the best in the biz. Maybe Gene will consider another style optic to get a better beam. What about the TIR style optic's found in some of the SF's in a M60 if they would fit?

Both my M30W and M60 non hand engraved have a donut hole in hotspot, i went through 2 different M30's same thing.

edc3

Enlightened
I personally think there is an LED lottery AND an optic lottery in effect. I bought an M60 a while back and then a couple of weeks later bought another. To my eye, being a picky SOB, there was a fair bit of difference in tint and the beam between the two. I emailed Gene to ask about this and he told me to send both of them back with a note on the preferred dropin. He then sent back the preferred one with a new one he had matched to it. He even refused to let me pay for return postage. Email him and he'll take care of it for you.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I spoke with Gene a while back and he told me he was switching to WC tint.
This because people were complaining about the darker center spot with somewhat warmer tints; WH ect...
WC tint don't have it as much.
~ This has to do with the Cree itself, not Gene.

I'v done several 8 degree optic mods. on other lights with neutral tints,
they all have the slightly darker center-spot phenomenon.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Great info everyone!
Orbital, What is the WC and WH tints?
Policetacteam, WC and WH refers to the way Cree LED's are binned according to the colour temperature of their emitted light... WC is a cold white, with temp between 6350-7000 k while WH is warmer with temp between 5000-5700 k. Check out the Cree XR-E data sheet here... By comparison, the average incandescent bulb would emit light closer to 3000-3400 k. Warmer tints also give more realistic colour renditions but slightly fewer lumens and colder tints, more washed-out colours but more lumens. It's your call on what is preferable.

Btw, my M60 has a very intense hotspot and very bright sidespill that overlaps with no donut at all. You almost can't see the difference between the hotspot and sidespill.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Btw, my M60 has a very intense hotspot and very bright sidespill that overlaps with no donut at all. You almost can't see the difference between the hotspot and sidespill.

You lucky *******!! :naughty: