What's a flashaholic to do? (Also, interesting paranomal story)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a job at the Milan Army Ammunition Plant in Tennessee about a month ago. I work for American Ordnance who contracts work out for the military.

Right now I make a certain round and am fixing to get a new job: Carrying supplies from the igloos (earth covered bunkers holding explosives) to the line to be assembled. Fun fun.

Luckily for me it's about a half mile walk through hallway networks. At night it's pitch black O_O. There is this one spot where you come to a sign that says "Warning: Do Not Proceed Past This Point". Sadly, I still want to proceed.. until my supervisor warned me. Apparently the coyotes enjoy walking up that LONG LONG dark hallway to see what's going on :(

The igloos aren't far from that but are creepy.

Imagine opening a ten inch thick steel door that's about 20 by 20 feet down into a earth covered, concrete re-inforced bunker and feeling the cold air come out. I think I'm going to need a few flashlights..

The bad part is that you have to have explosive approved flashlights while working around.. um explosives. But because I wouldn't be working around open explosives I wouldn't really have that much to worry about as far as the light flashing some powder. I want to run it by safety but if I did and they said no I would have to worry about them keeping an eye out.

Maybe a SureFire E1B would work well as long as I didn't try to turn it on around powder. I still cannot see myself down in the pitch black with coyotes and panthers and no light. What's a flashaholic (or anyone) to do :(

Now an interesting story for sh*ts and giggles:

A certain line that I'm not going to talk about which isn't running right now has a creepy past.

It's a three story building with an elevator. The top two floors which do certain things aren't accessible from the outside and are relatively small.

A friend of mine was working with three other guys one morning getting ready to shut the line down. Keep in mind all of the people who have died on the 22,000 acres and the amount that have died or died from the chemicals on that certain line It was build in 41 so it has some history. The arsenal was built in 41, not just this line. The elevator turned on and started it's way to the top. Now everyone wondered who just got on the thing and went over to it and watched it go to the third floor. Then it started moving again and they watched it go to the second floor where it didn't move again.

Obviously for safety reasons they all got on and went to the second floor to see who the hell was hiding in government property.

You can imagine where this is going.. No one was on the second floor or the third :(

I don't want to go there :( No no no

I need to hurry up and find me an explosive approved flashlight with 80 lumens or so and is small enough to EDC.

Oh but the fun fun secret stuff I get to do :)

So many storys and weird things happen. I would love to share some but I'm afraid if I said anything the FBI would be really pissed off about it.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spooky and dangerous things are afoot it seem. Maybe along with a flashlight you should carry a bible, a crucifix and some holy water in a supersoaker. Stay safe around all that explosive stuff!

DieselTech

Enlightened
I grew up not too far from the Milan plant. I remember years and years ago, you could actually feel the ground shake when they were testing some of that stuff all the way to Henderson county. :duck:

Seriously, cool job. :D

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
You should get a SL Propoly 4xAA..
FEATURES: IP67 Ingress Protection
1 Watt Super High Flux Luxeon Star
Non-conductive
Shock resistant (Drop Test verified)
Corrosion proof
Deep Parabolic Beam Generator produces long range brilliance and smooth uniform pattern.
Solid State Power Regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life.

APPROVALS**: Most models meet applicable European Community Directives.
DIVISION 1: UL Classified Class I, Division 1, Groups C & D;
Class II, Division 1, Groups F & G; Class III; Exia Temperature Code T4
DIVISION 2: UL Listed Class I, Division 2, Groups A, B, C, D;
Class II, Division 2, Groups F & G; Class III; Temperature Code T3C
I think that'd be safe around explosives?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spooky and dangerous things are afoot it seem. Maybe along with a flashlight you should carry a bible, a crucifix and some holy water in a supersoaker. Stay safe around all that explosive stuff!

Hmm... can you get/make holy water cartridges for a Tigerlight? Maybe that should be Search's next acquisition...

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
HaHa nah we had a thread going in the General Flashlights forum about finding me an explosive approved light but I am content without.

They will not allow me to buy my own, even if it's the exact same kind they use or better.

So I just deal with it.

However, the chemicals they use on that "haunted" line are bad bad stuff. Even though I want to explore I don't want to be around it.

I wish more people could work at places like this. Even though I worry some powder will flash in an igloo it's very interested to see some of the stuff you aren't allowed to talk about without the FBI or ATF putting your butt in jail.

It's always the idiot next to you who blows you up, tsk tsk.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, your story about the igloos reminded me of something I heard about a military guard, on patrol at a US base in Germany back in the 70s.

The guard worked with a German Shepherd dog that accompanied him on his rounds. He had the night patrol, and at this little base it was freaking pitch black out there in the forest (and he had no light of course; I don't think they were allowed anyway).

He goes to inspect one of those sunken bunkers, and apparently the door had been left open. The guy can't see a thing, and as he approaches the door, the dog starts growling and backing up in fear. The guy decided to get the hell out of there because whatever was in there, "If the dog's afraid of it, I sure don't want to mess with it!!" he said.

:eek: Crazy stuff!!